Kevyn Adams Discloses in his Presser that Eichel is No Longer the Buffalo Sabres Captain

Brawndo

• Have no captain for the year: olive branch to Jack in hopes things can be fixed (unlikely, but a 100% and happy Eichel playing for the Sabres is probably the best long-term for the Sabres)
  • Name someone else Captain before the regular season: reasonable; probably burning a bridge with Eichel but that may already be done anyway
  • Name someone else in a big to-do earlier than that: big FU to Eichel, makes the franchise look petty

Somewhere around Oct 10th, Sabres just need to name captains like any other year. Anything else is petty BS.

Edited by MattPie
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Shootica said:

No need to stoke the flames here.  Jack will be starting the year on LTIR anyway, so just label someone else as the interim captain for that reason.  Formally stripping him of the C just turns the whole situation into an even larger circus.

Yup. Easy to side-step. Just say you're doing rotating C's or something.

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

So my use of the word "podium" is what you think I'll point to, in victory, should it come to pass? And if he announces it over a podcast I'll turn my collar up against the wind while muttering to myself, head down? 

You are mistaking the essence of where my mind is at with this situation - I'm not sure how else to make you believe me. 

- - - 

Look, we both want the team to be good, if you can believe that. Foundationally, I have come to believe that aiming for the Stanley Cup ( @PASabreFan) which is what I believe they are doing by undertaking these massive tear downs rebuilds, is folly - I think they should concentrate on just being a winning team and making the playoffs. I do believe that needing a Cup to make this all worthwhile is illogical, for reasons I have laid out.

And I don't believe the team WILL win on the ice until they make winning THE priority. And it's not right now. Clearly my bias has been laid out in good faith - I want to watch playoff hockey again, and this is clearly at least in large part informing my stance on pretty much the majority of the things I discuss. 

I respect your right to your own personal viewpoint and, never having met you, I assume you to be a great person in real life - but we can go no further here in this particular discussion. 

Victory? On an internet forum? Your melodrama has reached critical mass. 

Perhaps I am mistaking the essence of where your mind is at with the situation, but in reading your posts over the last several months, one can’t blame me for that. 

3 minutes ago, MattPie said:
  • Have no captain for the year: olive branch to Jack in hopes things can be fixed (unlikely, but a 100% and happy Eichel playing for the Sabres is probably the best long-term for the Sabres)
  • Name someone else Captain before the regular season: reasonable; probably burning a bridge with Eichel but that may already be done anyway
  • Name someone else in a big to-do earlier than that: big FU to Eichel, makes the franchise look petty

Somewhere around Oct 10th, Sabres just need to name captains like any other year. Anything else is petty BS.

Someone needs to ascend to the permanent role. In the meantime, give an A to Okposo as the ranking vet and get on with it.

59 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Yep, you've got me dialed in, man. I hate the Sabres, I've hated them for 30 years. I resent them for giving me some of the best memories of my life watching playoff games with my Dad, because those moments just make the rest of my ***** life look bad in comparison. I hope they never get back to the playoffs so I can watch games in that way again. 

I want the team to be bad because I desperately need to be proven right on this, being right on like 95% of my other arguments on this website isn't enough to satisfy my appetite for world domination. 

The truth will set you free.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Victory? On an internet forum? Your melodrama has reached critical mass. 

Perhaps I am mistaking the essence of where your mind is at with the situation, but in reading your posts over the last several months, one can’t blame me for that. 

Someone needs to ascend to the permanent role. In the meantime, give an A to Okposo as the ranking vet and get on with it.

You aren't understanding. I used "victory" in jest, because you agreed with me that what I was worried about was indeed in the original tweet, that it was saying an announcement would be made. But you said I was looking to be proven right and that I created a self-fulfilling prophecy because I came up with a scenario where KA gets up "on a podium" and makes the announcement. I don't care how the announcement gets made, it's the fact it would be made, at all, that I'd take issue with. 

You are conflating melodrama, and sarcasm, me thinks. 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You aren't understanding. I used "victory" in jest, because you agreed with me that what I was worried about was indeed in the original tweet, that an announcement would be made. But you said I was looking to be proven right and that I created a self-fulfilling prophecy because I came up with a scenario where KA gets up "on a podium" and makes the announcement. I don't care how the announcement gets made, it's the fact it would be made, at all, that I'd take issue with. 

Oh, so it’s been sarcasm this entire time. Right.

14 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Good breakdown.  I will be pretty surprised if KA elects to take option 3.  As @Thorny notes, this would be dumb and vindictive and make the franchise look even more like a clown show.

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You aren't understanding. I used "victory" in jest, because you agreed with me that what I was worried about was indeed in the original tweet, that it was saying an announcement would be made. But you said I was looking to be proven right and that I created a self-fulfilling prophecy because I came up with a scenario where KA gets up "on a podium" and makes the announcement. I don't care how the announcement gets made, it's the fact it would be made, at all, that I'd take issue with. 

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Oh, so it’s been sarcasm this entire time. Right.

This kind of back-and-forth over 2 pages of a good thread does not make for interesting reading.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The truth will set you free.

You bring attention to an ever important point, in honesty - the truth. And truth as ever is in the eye of the beholder. What I consider to be my aims in discussing the team, my feelings towards them, that I laid out - aren't relevant on this board if those aims are considered and believed to be something else, by those taking part in the discussions. There is definitely something to be said for consensus - in terms of the progression of conversation. I can cede to that and I can cede the playground. 

21 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Good breakdown.  I will be pretty surprised if KA elects to take option 3.  As @Thorny notes, this would be dumb and vindictive and make the franchise look even more like a clown show.

This kind of back-and-forth over 2 pages of a good thread does not make for interesting reading.

Well noted. 

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

I want the team to be bad because I desperately need to be proven right on this, being right on like 95% of my other arguments on this website isn't enough to satisfy my appetite for world domination. 

Two of the three judges score it differently.  🤪

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Well noted. 

This is where you are supposed to rant, post multiple gifs, and flounce for 3 weeks.

The Sabres probably should not formally announce that the captaincy was removed from Eichel.  Just say, that he isn’t on the active roster and go with an extra A, and no C, on the ice.  Anything more just invites unnecessary negativity.

Unfortunately, by bringing it up, Friedman has probably ensured that Adams will get multiple direct questions about the captaincy next time he is in front of a microphone.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Curt said:

The Sabres probably should not formally announce that the captaincy was removed from Eichel.  Just say, that he isn’t on the active roster and go with an extra A, and no C, on the ice.  Anything more just invites unnecessary negativity.

Unfortunately, by bringing it up, Friedman has probably ensured that Adams will get multiple direct questions about the captaincy next time he is in front of a microphone.

I agree.   Let’s go with three A’s and move on.   Let the real captain emerge in a natural way.  This is the only thing that makes sense and it help the look for the organization.   

side note, this Eichel drama is killing any esprit de corps we might have had. Let’s keep that in mind.  We will be here longer than Eichel, and probably longer than Adams.  

• Brawndo changed the title to Kevyn Adams Announces Jack Eichel is No Longer the Buffalo Sabres Captain

I posted it elsewhere: What was the point of this press conference?

My kid's high school has a poster in the cafeteria about things that you say -- something like, Is it Kind? Is it Helpful? Is it Necessary? Something like that.

For GMKA ... what was helpful or necessary about this statement about the captaincy?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

My kid's high school has a poster in the cafeteria about things that you say -- something like, Is it Kind? Is it Helpful? Is it Necessary? Something like that.

For GMKA ... what was helpful or necessary about this statement about the captaincy?

It looks incredibly unprofessional. I can't understand why any of this needed to be said.

All they needed to do was say that due to Jack's injury situation the team won't start the season with a Captain. It's that easy.

Instead he's taking shots at Jack for not being the team's heart and soul? Even if that is true, you don't need to say it.

Adams, and I guess the Pegulas, must really hate Jack. Like, they must think he's the biggest piece of ***** in the world.

• Like (+1) 6

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I don't get this either. Feels like twisting the knife.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, darksabre said:

It looks incredibly unprofessional. I can't understand why any of this needed to be said.

All they needed to do was say that due to Jack's injury situation the team won't start the season with a Captain. It's that easy.

Instead he's taking shots at Jack for not being the team's heart and soul? Even if that is true, you don't need to say it.

Adams, and I guess the Pegulas, must really hate Jack. Like, they must think he's the biggest piece of ***** in the world.

I think they're extremely disappointed, no doubt. He was supposed to be the guy. They paid him 80 million dollars guaranteed long before he earned it, and hasn't done anything of note for this franchise, and now, he wants out 5 years early on that deal he didn't earn.

I despise the way Terry and Kim have run this team, but I'd feel the same way about Jack. How can't you?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gabrielor said:

I think they're extremely disappointed, no doubt. He was supposed to be the guy. They paid him 80 million dollars guaranteed long before he earned it, and hasn't done anything of note for this franchise, and now, he wants out 5 years early on that deal he didn't earn.

I despise the way Terry and Kim have run this team, but I'd feel the same way about Jack. How can't you?

I just don't know what to think anymore about any of this. It all seems so ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.