Kevyn Adams Discloses in his Presser that Eichel is No Longer the Buffalo Sabres Captain

Brawndo

Personally I wouldn't "announce" that Eichel is no longer the captain.  I would simply rotate A's around during preseason and name a new captain at the start of the season.  Leave the door open for Eichel if he somehow manages to get well, but not waiting around for him if he's out long term.  It's not about Eichel losing the captaincy, it's about the current team on the ice and its leadership.  Making a formal announcement that Eich is no longer C is just stoking the sideshow.

Further thought:  At this point Eichel is likely not part of the team for the long term, but if there's a chance he is maybe you avoid putting a C on another player's sweater to leave the door open for him.  But you can also spin it as doing it because the coaching staff wants to see someone actually demonstrate their leadership before being given the C.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 7

8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

No surprises here 

I'm shocked, shocked I say.

I wonder if there is an opportunity here for KA to throw Jack an olive branch of sorts by not removing the C.  Instead he'll have 3 assistant C's, like KO, Dahlin and whomever as the Jack situation resolves itself.  This would help leave open a chance for Jack to return.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm shocked, shocked I say.

I wonder if there is an opportunity here for KA to throw Jack an olive branch of sorts by not removing the C.  Instead he'll have 3 assistant C's, like KO, Dahlin and whomever as the Jack situation resolves itself.  This would help leave open a chance for Jack to return.

The olive branch is to the fans, with the removal of the C

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You think it's symbolic? You think in any way he's still the captain of the Buffalo Sabres?

He's not captain anymore in essence, I'd say. 

I do think it's symbolic, yes. Like others have said, dudacek maybe, it shouldn't be done as any sort of "announcement". Maybe this has no meaning anymore because it's been said too many times, but if Kevyn Adams gets up there on a podium and announces the stripping, he's embarrassing this franchise on a grand scale. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I do think it's symbolic, yes. Like others have said, dudacek maybe, it shouldn't be done as any sort of "announcement". Maybe this has no meaning anymore because it's been said too many times, but if Kevyn Adams gets up there on a podium and announces the stripping, he's embarrassing this franchise on a grand scale. 

And nobody will be more disappointed than you if Kevyn Adams doesn’t do exactly that. 

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

And nobody will be more disappointed than you if Kevyn Adams doesn’t do exactly that. 

Yep, you've got me dialed in, man. I hate the Sabres, I've hated them for 30 years. I resent them for giving me some of the best memories of my life watching playoff games with my Dad, because those moments just make the rest of my ***** life look bad in comparison. I hope they never get back to the playoffs so I can watch games in that way again. 

I want the team to be bad because I desperately need to be proven right on this, being right on like 95% of my other arguments on this website isn't enough to satisfy my appetite for world domination. 

• Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Yep, you've got me dialed in, man. I hate the Sabres, I've hated them for 30 years. I resent them for giving me some of the best memories of my life watching playoff games with my Dad, because those moments just make the rest of my ***** life look bad in comparison. I hope they never get back to the playoffs so I can watch games in that way again. 

I want the team to be bad because I desperately need to be proven right on this, being right on like 95% of my other arguments on this website isn't enough to satisfy my appetite for world domination. 

Nah, you’re just a frustrated fan like the rest of us. 

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Nah, you’re just a frustrated fan like the rest of us. 

No, I'm not like the rest - you said I want to see KA embarrass the organization, remember? That's not what you want, right? I want failure, it's a Rorschach - you got me. Took me 20K posts but someone figured out the clues I left along the way that I'm a Troll. 

Well done. I'm off to pretending to be a Seattle fan, next. Should be able to get to 30K this time, their fans are noobs. 

Edited by Thorny

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The biggest requirement of a new captain is to be a good swimmer.

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No, I'm not like the rest - you said I want to see KA embarrass the organization, remember? That's not what you want, right? I want failure, it's a Rorschach - you got me. Took me 20K posts but someone figured out the clues I left along the way that I'm a Troll. 

Well done. I'm off to pretending to be a Seattle fan, next. Should be able to get to 30K this time, their fans are noobs. 

My point was that since you seem to find the most things to complain about when it comes to KA, that you would welcome the opportunity for another juicy item. I mean, you conceived of it in the first place. What’s that they say about self-fulfilling prophecy?

It was a tongue and cheek comment, so lighten up for crissakes and stop playing the victim all the time. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

My point was that since you seem to find the most things to complain about when it comes to KA, that you would welcome the opportunity for another juicy item. I mean, you conceived of it in the first place. What’s that they say about self-fulfilling prophecy?

It was a tongue and cheek comment, so lighten up for crissakes and stop playing the victim all the time. 

I'm not playing victim, the discourse around here has just taken a massive step down. The board itself is the victim. 

Conceived of what? That an announcement would be made? Isn't that *literally* what was in the original tweet that sparked the entire conversation? 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I don’t think the Sabres announce anything until a few nights before the opener, when Granato reveals no one will wear the “C” this season. 

Ya - "no one will be wearing the C this year" would be reasonable. 

"Jack Eichel has been stripped of the captaincy" would be the farce I'm alluding to, which is what the OT seemed to imply. "Friedman expects Sabres to announce Eichel no longer captain"

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I'm not playing victim, the discourse around here has just taken a massive step down. The board itself is the victim. 

Conceived of what? That an announcement would be made? Isn't that *literally* what was in the original tweet that sparked the entire conversation? 

This:

if Kevyn Adams gets up there on a podium and announces the stripping, he's embarrassing this franchise on a grand scale. 

Sure, Friedman said the Sabres would announce it, but you conceived the high drama of KA at a podium to do so and bringing further embarrassment to the franchise. 

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

This:

Sure, Friedman said the Sabres would announce it, but you conceived the high drama of KA at a podium to do so and bringing further embarrassment to the franchise. 

So my use of the word "podium" is what you think I'll point to, in victory, should it come to pass? And if he announces it over a podcast I'll turn my collar up against the wind while muttering to myself, head down? 

You are mistaking the essence of where my mind is at with this situation - I'm not sure how else to make you believe me. 

- - - 

Look, we both want the team to be good, if you can believe that. Foundationally, I have come to believe that aiming for the Stanley Cup ( @PASabreFan) which is what I believe they are doing by undertaking these massive tear downs rebuilds, is folly - I think they should concentrate on just being a winning team and making the playoffs. I do believe that needing a Cup to make this all worthwhile is illogical, for reasons I have laid out.

And I don't believe the team WILL win on the ice until they make winning THE priority. And it's not right now. Clearly my bias has been laid out in good faith - I want to watch playoff hockey again, and this is clearly at least in large part informing my stance on pretty much the majority of the things I discuss. 

I respect your right to your own personal viewpoint and, never having met you, I assume you to be a great person in real life - but we can go no further here in this particular discussion. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.