What do you expect from: #15 John Hayden?

dudacek

John Hayden  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Hayden this year?

• He will provide some much-needed grit and culture, carving out a regular role and contributing on the 4th line
    • He will sit on the bench a lot as the team's token face-puncher.
    • He's a spare part who will be in the press box a lot or end up in Rochester.

Hayden was drafted in the 3rd round in 2013 out of the USNDP, where he was coached by Donnie Granato.

He spent four years at Yale, finishing up as team captain and scoring 21 goals in 33 games as a senior. He averaged more than 5 shots on goal a game. He's not enormous, but he is a big dude who earned his living getting to front of the net.

Despite his low profile, he's spent the majority of his pro career on  NHL rosters, with just 24 games in the minors, all in his rookie season. But he has been one of those guys who  is always checking the lineup sheet to see if he's dressing. He's listed as a centre but lines up regularly on the wing. He hasn't taken a lot of NHL draws and loses more than he wins.

He hits and he will fight. He's done it 16 times, with bouts against Nic Deslauriers and Marcus Foligno on his card.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=145478

Last year he started the season in Arizona with a regular 4th line shift, but became mostly an afterthought in February and March, where he often got less than 10 minutes a game, or was a healthy scratch.

What do you expect from Hayden this season?

Edited by dudacek

He will contribute a handful of minutes (about 10, or so) each game on the 4th line.  He has a role to play as a hard to play against guy who will stand up for his teammates.  It's an important role on this Sabre team.  

Therefore, voted option #1.

Speaking of which ... make sure you do today if you have not done so yet.  And if you have already vote again.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
  • Like (+1) 1

I really don't know enough about him yet.  It would be nice to have him be a reliable 4th liner but he has not demonstrated that so far in his career.  Arizona last season wasn't exactly a great team.  Maybe Coach Granato can help him find his way utilizing his strengths.

From what I have read and seen so far I would think that he spends some time in Rochester with the potential to get some time with injuries (or if the young team is getting physically outmatched..........which might be the case).

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I saw this a lot when he was signed.

Was surprised to discover he's only played 24 AHL games in his career and they were four years ago.

He wasn't signed with Rochester in mind.

Where is he playing?  He is a C/RW with 14 pts total over the last 3 seasons.  Who is he beating out for a job?  

He isn’t playing ahead of these 9 wingers Skinner, VO, Girgensons, KO, Asplund/R2, Thompson, Bjork, Hinostroza or Caggiula. 
At center we have Mitts, Cozens, Asplund/R2 or Eakin.  He won’t play ahead of any of these guys. 

I see him as our 14th best forward, 15th if Eichel is healthy.  I think Macinnis is more likely to make the Sabres the Hayden.  Obviously injuries may give him a shot at lineup, but as it stand right now, he should be ticketed to Rochester.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Where is he playing?  He is a C/RW with 14 pts total over the last 3 seasons.  Who is he beating out for a job?  

He isn’t playing ahead of these 9 wingers Skinner, VO, Girgensons, KO, Asplund/R2, Thompson, Bjork, Hinostroza or Caggiula. 
At center we have Mitts, Cozens, Asplund/R2 or Eakin.  He won’t play ahead of any of these guys. 

I see him as our 14th best forward, 15th if Eichel is healthy.  I think Macinnis is more likely to make the Sabres the Hayden.  Obviously injuries may give him a shot at lineup, but as it stand right now, he should be ticketed to Rochester.

There are like 8 forwards there I could see Hayden beating out on any given night 

The team is mostly jobbers right now, by design. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I see him battling Eakin and MacInnis for the 12/13 role and more suited to that role than either, because he provides an element neither of those guys provide and is otherwise missing from the roster.

Edited by dudacek

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I see him battling Eakin and MacInnis for the 12/13 role and more suited to that role than either, because no one else on the roster because he provides an element neither of those guys provide and is otherwise missing from the roster.

If Thompson or Bjork or Hinstrozzers of whoever are in there to score and they aren’t providing, a coach will quickly switch to someone who will provide what they ask, even if said coach has to change what it is they are asking for 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, New Scotland (NS) said:

Who pissed in your Cherrios this morning?

Why would I put undo expectations on this guy? My expectation is nothing. He’s a 12th/13th man type guy. 

Whatever happened to the great SS term JAG? It was once used for guys like this. I’m sure he’s a great guy. But he’s JAG. JAGs don’t have expectations 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Why would I put undo expectations on this guy? My expectation is nothing. He’s a 12th/13th man type guy. 

Whatever happened to the great SS term JAG? It was once used for guys like this. I’m sure he’s a great guy. But he’s JAG. JAGs don’t have expectations 

Fair enough.  Your delivery was, shall I say, suspect.

I agree on any other team this guy is a JAG, but on this Sabre team this guy is something.  I don't expect much either, but he definately has a role to play on this Sabre team.  I think it's an important role this year.  I think he will play his part well.  So, in that sense I expect a lot from him.  It's just a matter of perspective.

Why is this even here?  He isn't a center (although described as one).  His FO% is 25% over the last 2 seasons.  He plays less then 10 minutes a night when he plays and then it's about 50% of his team's games. He doesn't score as evidenced by with 9 pts over the last 2 season.  He doesn't kill penalties.  The scouting report says he is good around the net, add size, but needs work on his passing.  He isn't fast and also isn't quick.  He basically sounds like a smaller John Scott with slightly better hands.  Lets not forget that he wasn't tendered by Arizona, the other worst run franchise in the NHL and one of our main competitions for the 1st overall in the draft next year.

It should also be noted he signed a 2 way contract.  This implies to me that KA thinks there is a strong likelihood he ends up in Rochester.

Honestly I'd much rather see what the bigger and better Brett Murray can do with a call up here and there then ever insert Hayden into the lineup.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.