What do you expect from: #13 Mark Pysyk?

dudacek

Mark Pysyk  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Pysyk this year?

• He's going to have a career year as a full-time bottom-four defender in a situation perfect for his talents
    • He will be a regular, but basically fill a space in an unremarkable fashion
    • He will continue his recent role of versatile extra and be frequently bounced out of the lineup in favour of younger players

Mark Pysyk arrived in the Sabres organization as a 2010 1st round draft pick right around the time analytics were starting to get a foothold into the hockey consciousness.

His analytics (as well as his calm presence and great feet) made him a bit of a darling among a certain segment of the fan base and there was great weeping and gnashing of teeth around these parts when Tim Murray shipped him off to Florida before he had a chance to cement himself as a regular on the Sabres blueline.

He did become a regular in Florida, but in a depth role, even playing forward for them when they ran into roster difficulties.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=110238

After four seasons there, Pysyk was not resigned by the Panthers and inked a minimum wage deal with Dallas last October. He proved to be a spare part last season with the Stars, bouncing in and out of the lineup and between forward and defence.

The fact that he signed for above minimum wage this summer seems to indicate there was some degree of interest around the league, but it also apparent that Pysyk needs to re-establish himself as a full-time NHLer or his career is on the line.

What do you expect from Pysyk this season?

I've never liked Pysyk's game.  When I watch him, I don't see strong defensive play, contributions to offense, speed (although he is nimble on his skates) or any particular knack for getting the puck out of the d-zone, despite his analytics supporting the view that he's good at doing so.

I think he's a player that demonstrates the limits of analytics -- i.e. a guy who puts up good numbers in certain analytics categories but ultimately doesn't help you win games or contribute much in any important area of play.

He'll be fine as a 7/8 defenseman, but I'd greatly prefer, say, Samuelsson or Butcher in the top 6.

39 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I've never liked Pysyk's game.  When I watch him, I don't see strong defensive play, contributions to offense, speed (although he is nimble on his skates) or any particular knack for getting the puck out of the d-zone, despite his analytics supporting the view that he's good at doing so.

I think he's a player that demonstrates the limits of analytics -- i.e. a guy who puts up good numbers in certain analytics categories but ultimately doesn't help you win games or contribute much in any important area of play.

He'll be fine as a 7/8 defenseman, but I'd greatly prefer, say, Samuelsson or Butcher in the top 6.

Thing is, Samuelsson or Butcher will probably already be in the top 6 on the left side, along with Dahlin and Hagg. I’m open to the one who isn’t there staying in the unit, but even though Pysyk is very unremarkable, I’m not sure a rookie playing on their off-hand will do much more for the team 

19 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I think he is the kind of partner I would want for Dahlin and Jokiharu at even strength: boring, simple, and defencively responsible.

That’s just the thing - we have 3 RHDs on the roster right now, and if neither Jokiharju nor Miller are that “reliable” guy to pair with Dahlin, how can it be Pysyk? He’s clearly adequate in a small role but to pair him with Dahlin and subject him to the minutes and competition that’ll come with a first-pairing role seems to be asking for failure. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That’s just the thing - we have 3 RHDs on the roster right now, and if neither Jokiharju nor Miller are that “reliable” guy to pair with Dahlin, how can it be Pysyk? He’s clearly adequate in a small role but to pair him with Dahlin and subject him to the minutes and competition that’ll come with a first-pairing role seems to be asking for failure. 

I think he should get 10-15 or so minutes in that role to start.  The idea is to give Dahlin cover for most of his ice time.  I am hoping for chemistry that helps both players.

I could be wrong.

I think Pysyk is what he is at this point in his career.

Any hope for him is coloured by his history here. His resume looks an awful lot like Jacob Josefson or Taylor Fedun or so many other veteran spare parts whose careers have come to Buffalo to die in recent years.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Any hope for him is coloured by his history here. His resume looks an awful lot like Jacob Josefson or Taylor Fedun or so many other veteran spare parts whose careers have come to Buffalo to die in recent years.

Yup.  He’s at the end of the road now.  Respectable career that is obviously nearing the end.  Small dollar deals, being used as a utility player (when he plays at all).  This should be a very low expectation player for us.  I’m thinking competent level play should the optimistic ceiling for this guy now.  

My money is on the “he’ll barely hang on to a roster spot” option.

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’m not saying he is going to be a force in 21-22, but the comparison to Fedun is a little unfair. 😉

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.