What do you expect from: #9 Jack Eichel?

dudacek

Jack Eichel  

57 members have voted

1. 1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Eichel this year?

• He will be traded before the season starts
    • He will not attend camp and he will stay away from the team until he is eventually traded, but it's going to take time
    • He will undergo surgery and return to the ice for the team in the New Year to rehabilitate his body and his reputation
    • He will pass his physical next week and be available to play, forcing the Sabres to trade him, suspend him, or play him

You may have never expected it to come to this, but it is September and number 9 is still a Sabre.

You know the drill and you know the back story.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=158169

I'll leave you with this largely forgotten quote from the infamous 'Disconnect' press conference.

"But for now, obviously, I’m here. I’m the captain of this hockey team and my goal is to be available and to try and help the guys in the room and to help this organization win hockey games. I’ll continue to do that as long as I’m here.”

What do you expect from Eichel this season?

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The original medical call was that time would heal the injury. The only official update was from July that Jack still wants disc replacement.

We've seen him scrimmaging.

Anybody think Jack might pass his physical?

Depends on what's involved with the physical (I don't know what all they do for an evaluation).  But I suspect that Doctors will ask if he still has discomfort or pain and that would be something that only Eichel can answer.  So if he's still in discomfort or pain does he fail? (I would think yes).

26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The original medical call was that time would heal the injury. The only official update was from July that Jack still wants disc replacement.

We've seen him scrimmaging.

Anybody think Jack might pass his physical?

Would be the best news all summer 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

As per my source his neck is healing, albeit slowly.   He'll fail the physical and be put on LTIR until he heals up and/or is traded.    

I'm okay with that.  All along I've worried that in his haste to return to the ice he'd have an ill-advised surgery that would be a negative to him, if not in the short term, in the long term.  I've always felt that the Sabres were protecting Jack from himself.  Whether or not he gets traded I think the Sabres are doing the right thing with his treatment.

• Like (+1) 2

Didn't vote because the expectation is it's 50/50 that 3 or 4 are the correct answer IMHO.

Would be mildly surprised if a team could add a $10MM cap hit this close to the RS AND that they would at this point w/ the Q's about the neck.

Can't see Eichel simply trying to hold out.  

Which leaves the last 2 options. 

Regardless, Adams has some more moves left this summer.  Dahlin's deal alone won't get them to the cap floor.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Regardless, Adams has some more moves left this summer.  Dahlin's deal alone won't get them to the cap floor.

Don't you think the short-term plan is to sign Dahlin and put Eichel on IR, where he puts the team over the floor but insurance (should?) cover his salary?

Doesn't preclude another move, but he should be covered.

• Like (+1) 1

I think that Eichel could do really well in the Granato system, with all of the young guys playing like they did at the end of last season.  The team, in this scenario, would have a chance to be successful and a happy, healthy Eichel may be better than any speculative trade return.  Unfortunately, bridges have been burned and the team has no reliable goaltending, so this scenario is highly unlikely to play out.

• Like (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Don't you think the short-term plan is to sign Dahlin and put Eichel on IR, where he puts the team over the floor but insurance (should?) cover his salary?

Doesn't preclude another move, but he should be covered.

Thought they were further from the floor at present than they actually are.  Yeah, they're only ~$3MM under the floor w/ Dahlin still to sign.  Signing him & dropping the 24th salary (if necessary) to the AHL will almost definitely get them over the floor.

So, guess what we see is what we get.  😞

14 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Thought they were further from the floor at present than they actually are.  Yeah, they're only ~$3MM under the floor w/ Dahlin still to sign.  Signing him & dropping the 24th salary (if necessary) to the AHL will almost definitely get them over the floor.

So, guess what we see is what we get.  😞

Eichel's contract counts towards the floor even if he's put on LTIR

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I think that Eichel could do really well in the Granato system, with all of the young guys playing like they did at the end of last season.  The team, in this scenario, would have a chance to be successful and a happy, healthy Eichel may be better than any speculative trade return.  Unfortunately, bridges have been burned and the team has no reliable goaltending, so this scenario is highly unlikely to play out.

I thought Krueger overplayed him. I would hope Donny G just uses him as another player and rolls him out on a regular shift. 

Casey Middlestadt would probably benefit a lot having Jack as the top center. 

I think he will not be quite ready when the season starts, but be able to play within a few months, and will do so as a Sabre.

Whether or not he is traded, I will not say (I want him to stay so I'm not going to send "trade" energy into the universe 😛 ), but I think other teams will feel more comfortable with KA's ask when they see Jack back on the ice.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.