The pinnacle of the Sabres franchise

Doohickie

23 hours ago, mphs mike said:

I still remember this sunday afternoon game as if I'm 14 and in my parent's basement. For some reason I still vividly recall the entire line skating up the ice and Gare wrister to win it over the vaunted Habs 

It's still as vivid for me as it is for you. What a series that was.  Luce kicked out of the circle and Ramsay wins the faceoff, right?

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

And multiple playoff rounds. Etc. 

You only have a now 1 in 32 chance of winning. There's a really solid statistical chance that a cup never comes for a fan - if only a cup makes all this worthwhile, we've probably picked the wrong hobby. 

Of course I dearly want to win a stanley cup, but...The feeling of beating Ottawa...that type of stuff is certainly enough for me for this to all have been worthwhile.

I just want to be a winning hockey team again. That's literally my bar. 

It's not 1 in 32. Unless you think the Sabres have the same chance of winning a Cup as the Lightning do. It's more like 1 in 16, and it's not that hard to be one of the 16. If you're a really good hockey team, you can win a playoff round and then you're at 1 in 8. Instead of making it sound like a Powerball win, say you just have to build a really good hockey team, stay healthy and have some luck. Odds aren't holding the franchise from its dream, Terry Pegula is.

50 minutes ago, Ice Cold said:

For me, at least, it's the Hardest Working Team in Hockey.  Hardest - that's like the best in a sense.  Some would have you believe that our Frenchest moment was our best, but we have NEVER been as french as Montreal, man.  Our absolute pinnacle was just a second before this one...

I tortured myself for several minutes of this clown show to get to the word I knew was coming. "Apparently." As in, cast doubt on the integrity of the league by suggesting there might not have been a memo Darcy acknowledged receiving. Weak.

20 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's not 1 in 32. Unless you think the Sabres have the same chance of winning a Cup as the Lightning do. It's more like 1 in 16, and it's not that hard to be one of the 16. If you're a really good hockey team, you can win a playoff round and then you're at 1 in 8. Instead of making it sound like a Powerball win, say you just have to build a really good hockey team, stay healthy and have some luck. Odds aren't holding the franchise from its dream, Terry Pegula is.

I tortured myself for several minutes of this clown show to get to the word I knew was coming. "Apparently." As in, cast doubt on the integrity of the league by suggesting there might not have been a memo Darcy acknowledged receiving. Weak.

I know it’s not literally 1/32 lol. Clearly the Sabres have demonstrated it can be much harder than that. My point was that there are 32 teams vying for 1 thing - every other team also gets the “well, if we just make our team good!1!” caveat. You can be a great team like SJ and never pull it off. The odds simply say it’s more likely to not happen in the rest of my lifetime 

You not only said “have some luck”, there’s a ton of luck built into the first two items (build a good team / stay healthy) when the barometer for success in this case is champion 

We haven’t even been able to build a team that wins more than it loses, in a decade, and we wanna talk cup? I will honestly take winning hockey and the rest is gravy, which of course I’ll hope for. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Andrew Amerk said:

The hard part of watching this was “Terry just texted me a smile.”

Nobody should be smiling about winning the draft lottery. AGAIN. Especially the owner. You shouldn’t be happy about being one of the worst teams in the league for a season, let alone a decade. 

He's texting now? And can send smiles? Hoo boy!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ice Cold said:

For me, at least, it's the Hardest Working Team in Hockey.  Hardest - that's like the best in a sense.  Some would have you believe that our Frenchest moment was our best, but we have NEVER been as french as Montreal, man.  Our absolute pinnacle was just a second before this one...

I can understand this sentiment.  There was a lot to like about that team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.