Sabres Will Have 10 National Broadcast Games

Brawndo

16 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I don't see one winable game smh .

Hello Mr. Sunshine.

You don't like the Sabres, or the Bills, so why are you posting here?

Anyway, you are welcome here Debbie (as in Downer).

Also, I see 3 very winable games ... Ducks, Leaves and Sharks.  Yeah maybe 3 of 10 is not very good, but better than zero.  Maybe even the Penguins.

26 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Hello Mr. Sunshine.

Also, I see 3 very winable games ... Ducks, Leaves and Sharks.  Yeah maybe 3 of 10 is not very good, but better than zero.  Maybe even the Penguins.

I love the Sabres  we have the  Shittiest organization I can be mad all I want .

We have zero chance against the leafs without jack 

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

I love the Sabres  we have the  Shittiest organization I can be mad all I want .

We have zero chance against the leafs without jack 

Even the worst teams in this league win 25% of their games and luck plays a big role in any one game.  No individual game is unwinnable.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Hello Mr. Sunshine.

You’ve been more annoying than he is. You’re basically just following him around thread to thread telling him to stop posting. 

Edited by #freejame
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Billznut said:

ESPN+ will carry nearly all NHL games this year, not just the ones listed today. They took over for NHL TV. 

Right, but only for out-of-market customers.  In Buffalo most of those games will still be on MSG an the ESPN+ broadcast will just be the local coverage.

10 national games isn't particularly notable.  Let's say each team plays ever other day (it's less than that, but for the sake of calculation).... so 164 dates, one national game each day.  There are 32 teams and it takes two teams to play a game, so 16 team combinations, divided into 164 days... yeah, each team gets about 10 national broadcasts.  Congrats, Buffalo Sabres, you're average. 

I'm in the DFW market and I heard today that the Stars will have 11 national games.  See?  10 is no big deal.  Just average.

My reading of this - and at least as far as what I have available - is that there are only 2 nationally broadcast games.  ESPN+/Hulu are paid services to which I don't subscribe.  I get TNT as part of my Directv package and it is part of most cable packages.  So I'd have to sign up for new services to see the other 8 games.  My Directv package also includes NBC Sports Network, which used to broadcast many more Sabres games than the 2 that are available on TNT this year, so it's a net loss for me.

In the past, I used to buy the last couple of months of the NHL Center Ice package - after the Super Bowl - to watch the Sabres down the playoff stretch.  It has been several years since I made that "investment" of both my money and time, as the Sabres have not even been in the mix.  I would be thrilled to do it again this year, but I am just not seeing it.

Edited by msw2112

My follow-up question would be: how does this compare to other bottom-feeding American-based franchises? Detroit would also figure to have several national games. But what about Arizona? Anaheim?

I figure every team should get their NFL-equivalent of a Thursday night division game... maybe 4 national games over the course of the season. Then, every team should get a "rivalry" (NFL Monday night game equivalent). And if you're a playoff franchise, you get the coveted Sunday-night equivalents: playoff rematches from last season, or elite talent head-to-head (McDavid v. Crosby), or possible Cup previews (Tampa and Colorado).

And... this is where we come in...  the mid-week ratings booster. Call it the Packers/Cowboys/Steelers NFL equivalent, where they're good for at least 1 national game a year where the matchup makes no sense, but the league knows the TV ratings will be good. That's where the Sabres can get a San Jose spot, or a Wild game.

We should be in that 6-8 game range. So... more national Dahlin!

21 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

San Jose. They always beat San Jose for some reason.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

It will be much more affordable to do that with ESPN+ this season.  It's a small fraction of Center Ice and you buy it by the month.

I just signed up. Even for the entire year, the Disney plus bundle is less than $20 more what NHLTV was. Totally worth it. 

With the Sabres being this bad, it's more important than ever to be able to watch other teams play.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.