What do you expect from: #8 Robert Hagg?

dudacek

Robert Hagg  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Hagg this year?

• A steady 4/5 who helps the PK and adds some 'hard-to-play-against' in our zone.
    • A place-filler 3rd-pair defenceman who plays pretty regularly but not particularly well
    • A spare defenceman who regularly sits in the press box

Hagg was a relatively touted prospect who slipped to the 2nd round in 2013 where the Flyers snapped him up at 41.

After spending some development time in the minors, he's been a full-time NHLer for the past 4 seasons, playing about 16 minutes a game in a defence-first role. He plays a physical, stay-at-home style and kills penalties, mostly on the 2nd unit. He was second on the Flyers in blocked shots over the past four years and led them in hits by a wide margin. He's also been a bit of a whipping boy for the Flyers fan base (doesn't fight or provide offence, spends a lot of time defending)

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=161943

In a way, Hagg is like Will Butcher, in that his career showed promise early and took a downturn after a coaching change. His usage dwindled in Alain Vigneault's first year (Hagg's 3rd) and last year he slipped into the 7th defenceman role. Philadelphia was a disaster last year defensively and made wholesale changes this summer. it's not clear if Hagg is someone the Sabres were genuinely interested in acquiring, or if he was merely a cap/roster dump to facilitate the Risto trade.

He told the media at Flyers locker clean-out day that he wasn't good enough last year and told Paul Hamilton he sees Buffalo as an exciting opportunity to get back on track.

What do you expect from Hagg this season?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

Something to think about:

I don't think he's as good, but statistically, and stylistically, Robert Hagg is Jake McCabe.

27, LD, Picked 44th, 6'1, 204, physical, PK, averages 59 games, 13 pts a season

26, LD, Picked 41st, 6'2, 204, physical, PK, averages 59 games, 12 pts a season

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Tbh, I expect nothing from him.  Anything we get will be a bonus as long as he doesn't make costly mistakes.

This is where I am at as well.  Except I expect him to make costly mistakes.

I think Hagg and Butcher will be bitched about early and often.

8 minutes ago, Weave said:

This is where I am at as well.  Except I expect him to make costly mistakes.

I think Hagg and Butcher will be bitched about early and often.

These two and Pysyk are the guys replacing McCabe, Risto and Montour.

The latter two at least were bitched about frequently.

The new guys aren't as good.

Your math checks out.

4 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I expect him to be on the third pairing and on the PK.

He may get passed by Samuelsson very soon.

I suspect one or more of Hagg, Samuelsson, Bryson and Butcher getting a look on the right side during camp.

I'd add Dahlin to that list as well if I wasn't so certain he's pencilled in with Jokiharju.

21 hours ago, dudacek said:

I suspect one or more of Hagg, Samuelsson, Bryson and Butcher getting a look on the right side during camp.

I'd add Dahlin to that list as well if I wasn't so certain he's pencilled in with Jokiharju.

Broke: draft or trade for positional need

Woke: fill every position with a human

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Hagg should be a 7th D.  On this roster, he's 3rd pairing and if Granato ever splits up Dahlin-Jokiharju moves up to 2nd pair w/ Jokiharju.

And he likely will be a whipping boy.

Speaking of whipping boys, I sure missed Risto last night.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.