Sabres Announce Prospects Challenge September 17-19

Brawndo

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If we want to be harder to play against, physically tougher and with guys that give effort every shift, then Murray and Samuelsson need to be Sabres sooner then later,

Could Tim Murray possibly end up responsible for two really quite late draft picks who reach the show? Olofsson already here and producing, is Tim Murray's own son, Brett Murray next? Traded up for Asplund, too. His draft errors are obviously well documented, looks like a few unexpected hits, as well. 

Edited by Thorny

It was enjoyable watching a hockey game with fans in the arena. You can't make fair judgments on players in such an early setting. Just a few observations: I thought UPL looked very composed and efficient with his movements. Both Peterka and Weissbach stood out. Weissback can create opportunities with his speed.  I see Peterka moving up to the big club sometime during the season. 

As I said before I'm not against UPL making the roster if the intention is to play him. If not, then get him a lot of playing time in Rochester. With our history of goalies getting hurt it wouldn't be surprising to see him called up.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If we want to be harder to play against, physically tougher and with guys that give effort every shift, then Murray and Samuelsson need to be Sabres sooner then later,

I thought Murray was good but I think that he still needs to work on being harder to move when in front of the net.  Last night I felt he got his chances from his reach and going to the net.  He would do well to go and train with Ristolainen's training regime to build up more strength still.

I was hoping to see a bit more from Samuelsson.  No real complaints other than he seemed to back off a few times and play cautiously.  I do think he needs to play better to make the Sabres out of camp. 

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

Laaksonen has skill, but he has to protect the puck better than he did tonight if he wants to succeed against NHL competition.

Yes I thought Laaksonen had moments where he looked great and then not so much at times like on the penalty kill.  He has the skills that are hard to improve at this stage though with skating and offensive instincts.  Another season in Rochester should help him improve his defensive game.

It's the first game so I'm sure all will improve.

2 hours ago, steveoath said:

I watched R2 more closely in the 2nd half of the game after not really noticing him the first. He was smart and assertive.

I agree with the above take on Quinn. He was very responsible with his positioning but you could see the wheels turning. It’s going to take a while for him to adjust to centre ice, and to his wingers, and just play.

The announcers talked about it, but Peterka looked physically stronger than I expected in that compact package. That speed/strength combo has NHL winger written all over it. He seems to have the hockey sense Justin Bailey lacks. Or at least I hope enough that it translates against better players.

Matej Pekar looked a long way away. Love the attitude but he still plays pond hockey off-puck. He’s going to take a lot of coaching. I hope Peca takes him under this wing.

Nadeau was the unsung guy that I noticed the most. Very direct, smart player. Feet need work.

Samuelsson absolutely blew up a guy defending a rush up the near boards. It was a physical game and he was a man out there, but in a measured, controlled fashion.

Murray was interesting, maybe our most effective skater overall, and a man among boys. It will be interesting to see if his skating can hold up against men.

Weissbach showed speed and confidence. He’s the oldest guy out there but he made me curious enough to see what he can do in Rochester.

As a group, I liked the identity they showed. They worked. It was nice to watch competitive hockey.

Edited by dudacek

Jar Jar No. Don't you dare. Abrams. Nope. Not that either. J-J looked fun on the forecheck, the turnover, the tap-in, and on the power play. 

We will watch your career with great interest.

Hard to tell with the camera angle and no replays, but UPL K^6 apparently looked so big and in solid enough position that he forced the Devils tried to make the hardest shots possible and they missed the cage entirely on several occasions.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Jar Jar No. Don't you dare. Abrams. Nope. Not that either. J-J looked fun on the forecheck, the turnover, the tap-in, and on the power play. 

We will watch your career with great interest.

Hard to tell with the camera angle and no replays, but UPL K^6 apparently looked so big and in solid enough position that he forced the Devils tried to make the hardest shots possible and they missed the cage entirely on several occasions.

Too bad. Jar Jar Peterka is now canon in my brain 

His vision is good. He can sense an elevator on the way before it has arrived 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.