World Cup 2022 - Qatar

Sabres Fan in NS

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Unfortunately, I am able to watch.  I just tested positive for Covid yesterday afternoon.  Multiply people at work tested positive in the past couple days and I started with a little scratchy throat and minor congestion (nothing that is out of the ordinary for early winter).  Symptoms haven’t really progressed.

Staying home from work is fine, but needing to stay away from my family stinks.

Yeah I got it in the summer too, from colleague - He thought it was his hayfever and I let him touch my keyboard and stuff.  Never really had any bad symptoms.

Did stay 10 days home though, day 7 my lymphglands got all swollen up, and I tested postive until day 9 so 🙂

7 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Take care of yourself.

I am planning my entire work week around 3:00 PM (my time) Wednesday afternoon.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah I got it in the summer too, from colleague - He thought it was his hayfever and I let him touch my keyboard and stuff.  Never really had any bad symptoms.

Did stay 10 days home though, day 7 my lymphglands got all swollen up, and I tested postive until day 9 so 🙂

It doesn’t seem like I’m going to become ill.  I just hope no one else in the house gets sick.  Try explaining to a 15 month old why Daddy has to stay away, or for that matter, telling Daddy that he can’t hug or kiss his little girl.  I know there are much worse situations that people find themselves in, but it still tugs hard on the heartstrings to stay away.

Best of luck to Canada.  I think Belgium can be beat.  They are old.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Oh yeah, we are bad, our coach is ***** it up, He needs to play a more defensive style.

#2 in the world ranking be damned, eh ??  

I personally would not have your guys at #2, but what do I know compared to the all knowers at FIFA.

+++++

Mexico and somebody draw nil - nil this afternoon.

In the late match ... France (holders) trail Australia nil - 1, but it's still early.

+++++

1 - 1 as we speak ...

50 minutes ago, Curt said:

Canada looked to have the better of play in the 1st half.  They just need to finish.  Canada to score in the 2nd half.  

It was pretty even in the second half.  Canada did have the more dangerous attempts through the match.

Missing the penalty early probably made a big difference.

Canada played well enough to win against the #2 ranked in the world side.

With Croatia and Morocco drawing earlier today a draw would have been a good result for Canada in this match.

Croatia is next for Canada.  A must draw and then hope for a big win against Morocco and a scorched earth for Belgium against both Craotia and Morocco.

Might have heard me yell at start of game when idiot coach started Thielemans again.

He is a luxury player, good on attack but defensive a liability, Onana brought so much more on both sides.   De bruyne was gassed 2nd half I think , but his passes didn't connect all game.   Trossard came in good, thought Hazard played better than I thought and might grow still in the tournament but lacking game speed.

Really impressive game from the USA!  Getting a 0-0 draw with England.

I’ve never seen a US men’s soccer team look so organized and confident in possession against top competition.

If they beat Iran on Tuesday, they will advance to the knockout stage.

11 hours ago, ubkev said:

Yup, still boring. 

Thanks for stopping by.

Pretty much all the matches have been very entertaining.  Through in some huge upset results and it's a good WC so far.  Hate the location, but what can we do.  FIFA is corrupt and always will be no matter who is in charge and who ends up in jail.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, ubkev said:

Yup, still boring. 

I mean, if you don’t like it, you don’t like it.  Everyone has their own tastes.

I can’t watch a baseball game for more than 10 mins.  It’s incredibly dull, to me.

Im sure there are people who feel that same way about hockey.

But these World Cup games have actually been quite good.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Curt said:

I mean, if you don’t like it, you don’t like it.  Everyone has their own tastes.

I can’t watch a baseball game for more than 10 mins.  It’s incredibly dull, to me.

Im sure there are people who feel that same way about hockey.

But these World Cup games have actually been quite good.

The US's first match started out fun. It's was pretty darn watchable for the first half. Then the second half happened and oh my goodness, what a drag. 

Then the second match, I feel like the whole purpose of that game wasn't to win, but to keep England from winning. And ya know what? Mission Accomplished! But, yuck!

I understand the tensions in the region better than many, but this is one of the most shameful things I have seen in some time.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63768983?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

Just shameful.

Serbia should be disqualified immediately if not sooner, but I don't expect anything to happen.

The sooner that Serbia gets their act together and recognizes the independent Kosovo the better off they will all be.

4 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Thanks for stopping by.

Pretty much all the matches have been very entertaining.  Through in some huge upset results and it's a good WC so far.  Hate the location, but what can we do.  FIFA is corrupt and always will be no matter who is in charge and who ends up in jail.

I'll reword it.

The US plays boring soccer.

24 minutes ago, ubkev said:

I'll reword it.

The US plays boring soccer.

This is the WC.  England is a top 5 side in the world.  The stragegy for any team at this stage is to play for a draw and try to limit mistakes.

The US strategy was to play for a scorless draw yesterday.  Boring yes, but they are trying to find their way into the knockout stage when anything could happen.

They played a perfect match for this situation with the goal to beat Iran, who is no pushover, to reach the round of 16.  

This is the WC final there are no easy matches here.  It is very unlikely that the host would have qualified on merit, but that is often the case.

3 hours ago, ubkev said:

The US's first match started out fun. It's was pretty darn watchable for the first half. Then the second half happened and oh my goodness, what a drag. 

Then the second match, I feel like the whole purpose of that game wasn't to win, but to keep England from winning. And ya know what? Mission Accomplished! But, yuck!

When one team is grossly more talented than the other, it requires certain tactics.

I don’t really agree though.  I don’t think that the US played unattractive football against England.

• Like (+1) 1

Two upsets sp far today.  Lets see if Canada can capitalize.  Group F is pretty wide open now with Morocco currently leading.  Who would have thought that would be the case at any point.

MUST WIN!!

GO CANADA!!

This is the biggest international match in the history of Canadian football.

+++++

Canada has to beat Croatia by 2 goals to move into second spot in the group.

GO CANADA!!

• 3 weeks later...