Casey Mittlestadt Signs 3 years 2.5 AAV extension with the Sabres

Brawndo

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

“It was just getting in the weight room,” Mittelstadt said. “It was nice that I had a little extra time to spend some time. Obviously, that’s kind of been a big topic for myself over the last few years, and just get in the weight room and work out and get in shape, work on my conditioning.

“I thought it ended up working out pretty well, I got to spend some extra time and my body feels really good right now.”

https://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/casey-mittelstadt-focused-on-making-sabres-after-having-blast-with-amerks/

What's the point of this? 

50 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He had a spurt like this earlier in his career and then fizzled,

I just hope Granato doesn't have a spurt and fizzles.  If he provides steady leadership behind the bench, Casey will be fine.  I think that's been the problem the last... too many years is the coaching was totally inappropriate for the team.  I think Granato is the kind of coach this team (and players like Casey) needs right now.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, inkman said:

“It was just getting in the weight room,” Mittelstadt said. “It was nice that I had a little extra time to spend some time. Obviously, that’s kind of been a big topic for myself over the last few years, and just get in the weight room and work out and get in shape, work on my conditioning.

“I thought it ended up working out pretty well, I got to spend some extra time and my body feels really good right now.”

https://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/casey-mittelstadt-focused-on-making-sabres-after-having-blast-with-amerks/

Wonder how many pull-ups he’s up to now. 

On 9/2/2021 at 9:57 AM, Thorny said:

So that would be 7 contract years dried up after this one, but he's still RFA at the end, right? I don't think the first year, that burned a year on his ELC, counts towards the 7 needed to achieve FA?

I thought that burned a year off the ELC - does it get them to UFA faster too?  I never really understood it.  

They do this crap in baseball too, where prospects get called up in like August to save a cheap year.  

9 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

I thought that burned a year off the ELC - does it get them to UFA faster too?  I never really understood it.  

They do this crap in baseball too, where prospects get called up in like August to save a cheap year.  

The first year does count, but it matters when it's signed.  Casey was 20 when he signed his ELC.  So, at the end of this contract he will have 6 years and will be 25 years old.  So, he does not make either criteria for UFA at the end of this contract, but I think that he will only have one year RFA remaining after this contact ends.  He also gains arbitration rights after this coming season, which may or may not mean much.

I am willing to bet that if all goes well Casey will be signed to an extension at the end of the second year of this contract.  Joker is the same situation.  Both contracts actually line up nicely that way.  Seems that someone in the FO knows a lot more about this stuff than previous regimes.

Of course, I could have that all wrong, which has been known to happen.

• Thanks (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

12 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The first year does count, but it matters when it's signed.  Casey was 20 when he signed his ELC.  So, at the end of this contract he will have 6 years and will be 25 years old.  So, he does not make either criteria for UFA at the end of this contract, but I think that he will only have one year RFA remaining after this contact ends.  He also gains arbitration rights after this coming season, which may or may not mean much.

I am willing to bet that if all goes well Casey will be signed to an extension at the end of the second year of this contract.  Joker is the same situation.  Both contracts actually line up nicely that way.  Seems that someone in the FO knows a lot more about this stuff than previous regimes.

Of course, I could have that all wrong, which has been known to happen.

His first set of games in the NHL at the end of the 17-18 season did burn a year off his ELC, but did NOT count towards a year of accrued service to UFA. He's already played in at least parts of 4 seasons, and this contract will have him at 7, which would satisfy the requirement had the first season counted, but it did not. So he'll only be at 6 years of accrued service at the end of this deal, unless there's something else with the shortened seasons that also factors in. 

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

His first set of games in the NHL at the end of the 17-18 season did burn a year off his ELC, but did NOT count towards a year of accrued service to UFA. He's already played in at least parts of 4 seasons, and this contract will have him at 7, which would satisfy the requirement had the first season counted, but it did not. So he'll only be at 6 years of accrued service at the end of this deal, unless there's something else with the shortened seasons that also factors in. 

Which is basically what I said, even if the way I got there is not exactly right, or kind of right.  At the end of the day he will be RFA at the end of this contract.  I still think if all goes well he will be extended, same with the Joker man, at the end of the second year.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

If he has 2 years of RFA after this deal, this is an excellent deal.

If he has 1 year of RFA after this deal, this is a stupid, horrible move that proves the organization learned nothing from the Rhino signing.

Even if there were 2 years of RFA eligibility remaining, he can still do the same thing.  Would just need to do it twice as opposed to once.

Edited by Curt

3 hours ago, Ducky said:

If he has 2 years of RFA after this deal, this is an excellent deal.

If he has 1 year of RFA after this deal, this is a stupid, horrible move that proves the organization learned nothing from the Rhino signing.

Both he and the Joker will have 2 years RFA after their new contracts end.  I do think someone in the FO now knows more about this stuff than others and it's not KA 'cus he gave the last 1 year contract to Samson.  That said, it's very possible by that time Samson said to late ... I ain't gonna sign here, except for 1 more year and only if I really have to.

These are good contract that offer some flexability at the end of the 3 years.  I still expect extensions of longer term will be signed at the end of year 2 for both, assuming all goes well, of course.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Ducky said:

You really don't see the difference?

I do, it’s 2 years instead of 1.  I was just saying that if a player wanted to get to UFA, they can still use the arbitration route to get there, in 2 years instead of 1.

6 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Both he and the Joker will have 2 years RFA after their new contracts end.  I do think someone in the FO now knows more about this stuff than others and it's not KA 'cus he gave the last 1 year contract to Samson.  That said, it's very possible by that time Samson said to late ... I ain't gonna sign here, except for 1 more year and only if I really have to.

These are good contract that offer some flexability at the end of the 3 years.  I still expect extensions of longer term will be signed at the end of year 2 for both, assuming all goes well, of course.

I could be wrong, but I think that when their 3 year contracts end, both Mitts and Jokiharju will be in their last RFA offseason.  At the end of the contract, they will both have 6 years pro experience.  After 7 a player is IFA eligible.

Edited by Curt

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

I do, it’s 2 years instead of 1.  I was just saying that if a player wanted to get to UFA, they can still use the arbitration route to get there, in 2 years instead of 1.

I could be wrong, but I think that when their 3 year contracts end, both Mitts and Jokiharju will be in their last RFA offseason.  At the end of the contract, they will both have 6 years pro experience.  After 7 a player is IFA eligible.

Yes.  It's 7 years service, or 27 years old, whichever comes first.  @Thorny and I had a little back and forth about what would have constituted both players first year of service.  Both ate their first year of their ELC in the year they signed them (both were 20 years old), but neither counted as a year of service.  Therefore, I believe that both will have 2 RFA years left at the end of these contracts. 

That said, I have seen this reported, but I can't find a 100% reliable sourse, like capfriendly or something to confirm.  It all hinges on the first year of service not being the first year of their ELC, which I believe they were not.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Yes.  It's 7 years service, or 27 years old, whichever comes first.  @Thorny and I had a little back and forth about what would have constituted both players first year of service.  Both ate their first year of their ELC in the year they signed them (both were 20 years old), but neither counted as a year of service.  Therefore, I believe that both will have 2 RFA years left at the end of these contracts. 

That said, I have seen this reported, but I can't find a 100% reliable sourse, like capfriendly or something to confirm.  It all hinges on the first year of service not being the first year of their ELC, which I believe they were not.

But at the end of these 3 year contracts, both players will have 6 years of service, right?  Even if Mitts “first” year doesn’t count, which I believe it does not, he already has 3 seasons after that.

If they will have 6 years of service when these contracts end, then they will be RFAs that offseason, 2024-25, but that would be their last offseason of RFA status.  They couldn’t be RFAs again in the 2025-26 offseason because they will have has 7 years of service by then.

Again, I could be wrong, but this is how I’m seeing it.

Edited by Curt

16 hours ago, Curt said:

But at the end of these 3 year contracts, both players will have 6 years of service, right?  Even if Mitts “first” year doesn’t count, which I believe it does not, he already has 3 seasons after that.

If they will have 6 years of service when these contracts end, then they will be RFAs that offseason, 2024-25, but that would be their last offseason of RFA status.  They couldn’t be RFAs again in the 2025-26 offseason because they will have has 7 years of service by then.

Again, I could be wrong, but this is how I’m seeing it.

The link below says he will be UFA in 2026 (on June 30, 2026), which means 2 more seasons after this contract ends, no?  This contract ends after the 2023/24 season then there is 2024/25 (RFA) and 2025/26 (RFA).  I am sure this is the same as Joker, because both have had the exact same contracts signed at the same time.

I don't know why I am wasting so much precious time on this ... LOL!!  I could be dead by then.

https://puckpedia.com/player/casey-mittelstadt

I do believe that good ol' NS has been vindicated ... ha!!

2 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The link below says he will be UFA in 2026 (on June 30, 2026), which means 2 more seasons after this contract ends, no?  This contract ends after the 2023/24 season then there is 2024/25 (RFA) and 2025/26 (RFA).  I am sure this is the same as Joker, because both have had the exact same contracts signed at the same time.

I don't know why I am wasting so much precious time on this ... LOL!!  I could be dead by then.

One of those covid shortened years doesn't count maybe?

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Hmm interesting.  I wouldn’t think that would be the case.  Maybe it’s like thorny says and they are doing something strange with the Covid shortened seasons.

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.