Rumor: Eichel to have surgery soon

LGR4GM

5 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

That's just 3 months away ,if he has the surgery immediately, fusion is an average of about 6 months for hockey players. I'm thinking they found a trade partner willing to give up the pieces and agreed to Jack's preference on treatment.

I'll believe that when I see it 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The unverified twitter source probably specifically picked a month where the chosen surgery was still ambiguous and could not be inferred, likely because he doesn't actually know anything. But who knows. 

Very possible. 

1 hour ago, I-90 W said:

So is the premise that a handshake agreement has been made, but will not happen til after the surgery? Would that mean, for example, Sabres get X, Y, Z pieces if he is back on the ice in December, less if later, none if it goes bad? That would be a massive shift from the Sabres position all along as they would still be taking on the risk of the worse case scenario.

Edit, sorry I see now you meant the other surgery.

And are the Sabres indemnified if surgery goes south? Who's in the hook for the $50MM?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I feel like the fusion "much longer" fits the december-at-the-earliest timeline better 

Or, most likely, the guy who wrote the tweet has no clue which surgery it will be.  He is thinking 3 months (December) if artificial disk replacement, longer if it’s fusion.

• Like (+1) 1

My thoughts, from most likely to least:

1. Simpson has bad info or is full of *****.  He's not a known source and the December timeline doesn't really align with either treatment option.

2. Eichel/The Sabres feel that a trade is close and have given him permission to schedule a ADR surgery for some time in the next week or two.  They're leaking a conservative 3 month time estimate so that if everything goes well, his recovery will be "ahead of schedule" in the media.

3. The Sabres' team docs have had a change of heart and now are comfortable with ADR.  This seems extremely unlikely at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

If the surgery is really happening, and it's the one Eichel wants, he's been dealt. 

If the surgery is really happening and it's the one the team wants, it seems to be the one other teams are also OK with, so while it could mean Eichel is here for a while until he heals up, I could also see teams willing to make the move now (at a reduced cost, of course - but that there's a sweet spot Adams is willing to back down to in order to facilitate a trade wouldn't be surprising to me, if that's the case)

I think that at least 2 of those commas need to be periods ...

Welp so  He plays in the Olympics rips it up and we get Max value  smart decision

6 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

This is not a thing.

Why would some yahoo announce this and not, oh I don't know, the Sabres.

And the Sabres are the tightest ship that has ever sailed.  There are no leaks, so this is not anything.

He works for tsn 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

The unverified twitter source probably specifically picked a month where the chosen surgery was still ambiguous and could not be inferred, likely because he doesn't actually know anything. But who knows. 

^^^ This 100%.  👍

2 hours ago, I-90 W said:

I don’t understand, so the Sabres changed their mind about the surgery all of a sudden?

No, Jack did.  Fusion, baby.

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Actually wait, didn't Eichel/they say that his chosen surgery path had a much quicker recovery time? December at the earliest seems much more likely to fit under the more traditional surgery route timeline

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2021/4/18/22388791/buffalo-sabres-jack-eichels-neck-surgery-recovery

matthew bingo GIF

• Like (+1) 2

Does it not seem likely that the subject of the secret NHL/NHLPA Eichel summit was to break the impasse over Eichel’s course of treatment and allow him to begin the process of getting healthy again?

This news seems to indicate mission accomplished. And, coupled with the Fish firing, likely not accomplished to Jack’s satisfaction.

In other words, I suspect that as far as the surgery goes, it was made clear the Sabres are in control and Jack has caved.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Does it not seem likely that the subject of the secret NHL/NHLPA Eichel summit was to break the impasse over Eichel’s course of treatment and allow him to begin the process of getting healthy again?

This news seems to indicate mission accomplished. And, coupled with the Fish firing, likely not accomplished to Jack’s satisfaction.

In other words, I suspect that as far as the surgery goes, it was made clear the Sabres are in control and Jack has caved.

Certainly seems like it. 

I just wonder how likely he'd be to cave on a procedure he was truly dead-set on getting - even considering contract status. In his mind, it's HIS long term health. As many have speculated, from very early on: I wonder how much of it was a strategy in conception. Something like that might get revealed in that meeting, too. 

But this is pure speculation 

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Certainly seems like it. 

I just wonder how likely he'd be to cave on a procedure he was truly dead-set on getting - even considering contract status. In his mind, it's HIS long term health. As many have speculated, from very early on: I wonder how much of it was a strategy in conception. Something like that might get revealed in that meeting, too. 

But this is pure speculation 

He never really had much of a choice on the procedure thing. The contract he has pretty much takes the power out of his hands, and that's probably what the league, the PA, and the Sabres told him. His only recourse, as has been discussed at length, would be some kind of arbitration, and the consensus is that he would probably lose that.

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

He never really had much of a choice on the procedure thing. The contract he has pretty much takes the power out of his hands, and that's probably what the league, the PA, and the Sabres told him. His only recourse, as has been discussed at length, would be some kind of arbitration, and the consensus is that he would probably lose that.

If he really was bluffing on wanting that procedure, and it was merely a move to try and force a deal, he must have been confident in this fact. 

Otherwise having his bluff called would be pretty interesting 

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

If he really was bluffing on wanting that procedure, and it was merely a move to try and force a deal, he must have been confident in this fact. 

Otherwise having his bluff called would be pretty interesting 

I don't think it was a bluff. I think he saw his preferred procedure as a legitimate option. The problem is that it appears that not only do the Sabres not agree, but none of their possible trade partners agree either.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I don't think it was a bluff. I think he saw his preferred procedure as a legitimate option. The problem is that it appears that not only do the Sabres not agree, but none of their possible trade partners agree either.

Well we did hear Minnesota was good with it. Evidently too few agreed to find a partner, though. 

I still have serious doubts about whether he truly wants that procedure - but I could never prove that. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Well we did hear Minnesota was good with it. Evidently too few agreed to find a partner, though. 

I still have serious doubts about whether he truly wants that procedure - but I could never prove that. 

I'm pretty confident he would go through with it given the opportunity. If there's one thing John cares about it's playing NHL hockey. I really do believe he just wants to be on the ice ASAP and he was hoping everyone else wanted the same thing for him. Turns out that's probably not the case.

• Like (+1) 1