Rumor: Eichel to have surgery soon

LGR4GM

• LGR4GM changed the title to Rumor: Eichel to have surgery soon

If the surgery is really happening, and it's the one Eichel wants, he's been dealt. 

If the surgery is really happening and it's the one the team wants, it seems to be the one other teams are also OK with, so while it could mean Eichel is here for a while until he heals up, I could also see teams willing to make the move now (at a reduced cost, of course - but that there's a sweet spot Adams is willing to back down to in order to facilitate a trade wouldn't be surprising to me, if that's the case)

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

I don’t understand, so the Sabres changed their mind about the surgery all of a sudden?

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

If the surgery is really happening, and it's the one Eichel wants, he's been dealt. 

Thorny has it right IMO, that's what makes sense

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Really quiet if he has been dealt. 

I don't think he's been dealt yet, but I don't count myself among those who think he can't get traded while hurt - we've seen injured players get moved before. Of course there is great risk in doing so when it comes to a 10 million dollar player, but the risk goes both ways: passing up making the move FOR that player, who is now likely at a reduced cost (just look at how the proposals have shifted around here (not yours, admittedly)) could prove be be huge opportunity lost. Particularly when Jack's NMC gets ever closer to kicking in. 

To me there's a big difference between trading for a perceived out-to-lunch Jack Eichel looking for an "experimental" surgery ("damn, how hurt is he? will he ever be ok after this "risky" procedure?") and a player who's already visibly skating right now on the verge of a more common surgery where the NHL results speak for themselves. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

If the surgery is really happening and it's the one the team wants, it seems to be the one other teams are also OK with, so while it could mean Eichel is here for a while until he heals up, I could also see teams willing to make the move now (at a reduced cost, of course - but that there's a sweet spot Adams is willing to back down to in order to facilitate a trade wouldn't be surprising to me, if that's the case)

The disc replacement surgery is supposed to have him on the ice in 2-3 months, fusion surgery much longer. If the story is accurate, it appears to be disc replacement.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Thorny said:

So is the premise that a handshake agreement has been made, but will not happen til after the surgery? Would that mean, for example, Sabres get X, Y, Z pieces if he is back on the ice in December, less if later, none if it goes bad? That would be a massive shift from the Sabres position all along as they would still be taking on the risk of the worse case scenario.

Edit, sorry I see now you meant the other surgery.

Edited by I-90 W

1 minute ago, klos1963 said:

The disc replacement surgery is supposed to have him on the ice in 2-3 months, fusion surgery much longer. If the story is accurate, it appears to be disc replacement.

I feel like the fusion "much longer" fits the december-at-the-earliest timeline better 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Thorny said:

I feel like the fusion "much longer" fits the december-at-the-earliest timeline better 

Yup. 

Although maybe the issue is actually getting him the surgery. Maybe they can't schedule it sooner than October or something. (I don't know how this works)

2 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

So is the premise that a handshake agreement has been made, but will not happen til after the surgery? Would that mean, for example, Sabres get X, Y, Z pieces if he is back on the ice in December, less if later, none if it goes bad? That would be a massive shift from the Sabres position all along as they would still be taking on the risk of the worse case scenario.

I don't really see Adams making a conditional trade. At least not the most significant pieces of the deal. 

Trading Jack and tying the return to his health isn't removing our reliance on him at all, in a sense. And KA wants to be free of him 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

I don't really see Adams making a conditional trade. At least not the most significant pieces of the deal. 

Trading Jack and tying the return to his health isn't removing our reliance on him at all, in a sense. And KA wants to be free of him 

But what’s confusing me is how can he be already traded before the surgery without it being public, what would the reason be if it wasn’t conditional? Unless I’m missing something which is possible.

2 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

But what’s confusing me is how can he be already traded before the surgery without it being public, what would the reason be if it wasn’t conditional? Unless I’m missing something which is possible.

goddammit Jim i'm a sabrespace message board poster not a doctor!

They could be running a tight ship: re leaks. As I said I don't think he's been dealt yet, though. I'm merely of the position that Eichel electing for the traditional surgery makes a deal at any time, including soon, possible. 

Every trade has risk. I won't rule out that a team trades for an injured Jack if the prognosis of his chosen surgery path looks solid

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That's just 3 months away ,if he has the surgery immediately, fusion is an average of about 6 months for hockey players. I'm thinking they found a trade partner willing to give up the pieces and agreed to Jack's preference on treatment.

• Like (+1) 1