The Sabres, Eichel, NHL and NHLPA had a meeting regarding Jack

Brawndo

55 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I really, really resent the first paragraph.  My logic to supporting the franchise on how they are handling Eichel is crystal clear and provable from my point of view.  Proof below.

- - - 

Hence, the current Sabres actions so far are correct from my point of view and they deserve my whole-hearted support.  QED

Good post. 

My question to you regarding the last line: do you think that the disconnect between the team and Eichel stemmed almost entirely from disagreement regarding the injury issue, and that, even had Adams and Eichel been on swell terms beforehand, we'd be sitting at a similar impasse, right now? Or do we think some of the friction on coming to terms on an agreeable injury treatment path stems from previous issues between the two sides? Is there room in your estimation for a potential Adams' decision to shop Jack being a contributing factor in the disconnect, which is so hampering a resolution? Or, are you A) certain the desire for a deal was purely initiated on Jack's part due to his reaction to failures of previous administrations, meaning that it was more less always heading towards a difficult situation for the current management group, and that the injury only served to throw another massive wrench in it, or B) think it's possible Adams may have made the decision to shop him but that it would have likely gone much more smoothly because, as mentioned, the true disconnect indeed didn't arise until the injury?

Basically, in your opinion and from what you've heard, was there anything KA could have done differently to make this work, up to and including deciding not to initiate a trade process, or was this really all Jack driven, with management further handcuffed by the injury?

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Norcal said:

No offers have been accepted and this story keeps growing. The more time goes on the more I'm wondering....

What if they just put him on ice for a year and let him heal up (LTIR) then bring him back with a seasoned young core and new draft additions next season. 

The Lightning sat their star all season and brought him back for the playoffs. There are plenty of opinions on whether that should be allowed but the rules say it is. 

This is assuming rest will heal Jack. Has there been an update on that?  If surgery is needed I'd take the same approach and trading him would definitely be off the table at that point anyways.  

The Lightning’s star wants to be on the Tampa roster.  Jack does not want to be on the Sabres roster.  A year on LTIR is unlikely to change that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

If the team gets good it might. He is competitive at the end of the day

I'd bet that if the team improved to the extent it would require for Eichel to want back on it, the team wouldn't want to risk it. 

39 minutes ago, Norcal said:

No offers have been accepted and this story keeps growing. The more time goes on the more I'm wondering....

What if they just put him on ice for a year and let him heal up (LTIR) then bring him back with a seasoned young core and new draft additions next season. 

The Lightning sat their star all season and brought him back for the playoffs. There are plenty of opinions on whether that should be allowed but the rules say it is. 

This is assuming rest will heal Jack. Has there been an update on that?  If surgery is needed I'd take the same approach and trading him would definitely be off the table at that point anyways.  

Big difference between Eichel and Kucherov’ situation.  Kuch did not question the team or it’s doctors. He does not want to be traded.  

With all that’s out there on Eichel I do not want him around our young players.   The relationship with Eichel is broken.  Eichel needs a fresh start.   

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

It's clearly a possibility.  Three scenarios:

1. He never has surgery but the herniation doesn't heal and he isn't cleared to play.
  2. He has fusion surgery and it turns out like Derek Dorsett and he injures an adjacent disc and has to retire.
  3. He has the disc replacement surgery and the risk we're all talking about rears its head... not sure what that would look like but in the extreme could it mean paralyzed Jack?

Each course of action could mean Jack's career is over.  The surgery options could get him back on the ice sooner, but once you perform surgery you can't unperform it so I get why they team prefers a wait and see approach.

It's in no one's best interest to float that term- not Jack's, not the team's.  No one is going to mention that elephant in the room.

That's fair.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Big difference between Eichel and Kucherov’ situation.  Kuch did not question the team or it’s doctors. He does not want to be traded.  

With all that’s out there on Eichel I do not want him around our young players.   The relationship with Eichel is broken.  Eichel needs a fresh start.   

Do we know the rift was between Eichel and Sabres?  Maybe it was between Fish and the Sabres.  Getting new representation could be Eichel taking the initiative toward a fresh start with the Sabres.

54 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Time has been known to heal some wounds. 

And this too.

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

It is reasonable to assume that something happened at the meeting that resulted in Eichel moving on from Fish.  That makes me think that the Sabres position was solid and well understood by the people there, including the NHLPA.  

And Fish was “out of water” not knowing the contract and/or the CBA.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Very much doubt that, he basically told Samson not to stay with the sabres.

Reinhart is smart enough and mature enough to make his own decision without being overly influenced by any other player. There is no doubt that both players talked about the team and their situations. But in the end Samson acted in his own best interest just like Jack is doing. 

7 hours ago, Thorny said:

Do you not get the perception that to some, the Sabres making out well here is of a lesser priority than Jack remaining unsatisfied? Cause I do 

Maybe it’s because I’m battling covid and I can’t even think straight but no matter how many times I read your question I don’t understand what you’re saying lol

2 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

If the team gets good it might. He is competitive at the end of the day

This team would need to suddenly be a contender for even a shot at changing Jack’s mind and I’m not sure even that would change things. It’s not happening anyways. He wants out and will get out.

10 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

Any thoughts on how Beane and McDermott would handle this situation with Eichel?

Building a hockey team is so different because draft picks take so long to to hit and fail at a much higher rate, but based upon what Beane did with Watkins and Darius I think he would have taken what he could and moved on. Beane has engineered an almost complete roster turnover that has removed the expectation of losing from the locker room. I think KA wants to do the same thing, but it’s harder in the NHL.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree that Bean would get what he could for a disgruntled player via a trade.

I do not think that he would cave to a player's desire for a surgical procedure that would void the team's insurance.

Assuming he would not agree to Eichel's desire, do you think he would still get what he could, knowing that it would not be a fair deal in comparison with a healthy Eichel?

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Just look at the 2017-18 Bills to find out. They moved out disgruntled stars like Sammy Watkins and Marcel Dareus.

The sudden boom of them trading Sammy Watkins and Ronald Darby in one fell swoop was the moment we all should’ve known everything had changed.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

The sudden boom of them trading Sammy Watkins and Ronald Darby in one fell swoop was the moment we all should’ve known everything had changed.

They got a 6th Rd pick for Dareus, a player who had just signed a 6yr/$96.5MM extension. Believe me when I say few people thought Beane and McDermott were saviors at the time.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

Maybe it’s because I’m battling covid and I can’t even think straight but no matter how many times I read your question I don’t understand what you’re saying lol

I sincerely hope you are feeling better and on your way to a full recovery. I wish you well. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They got a 6th Rd pick for Dareus, a player who had just signed a 6yr/$96.5MM extension. Believe me when I say few people thought Beane and McDermott were saviors at the time.

That’s the truth. People were livid. There were people angry about that up until last year. What changed? The Jags, the worst team in the league, cut Darius and no one picked him up. That’s right, he’s out of the league. Perhaps Beane knew something that posters on TSW didn’t know. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I sincerely hope you are feeling better and on your way to a full recovery. I wish you well. 

It’s been a rough few days but my fever broke and hopefully the rest will follow shortly. Thank you!

23 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I remember the reaction to the Dareus trade being pretty much that it sucked he flamed out and that he had to go. I don’t remember there being a major negative reaction. I remember strong responses on both sides to the Darby and Watkins deals.

• Like (+1) 7

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.