The Sabres, Eichel, NHL and NHLPA had a meeting regarding Jack

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I would just like to see him bring some players in that improve the team.  Very nervous about the roster when looking at C and G.  

Same.

It will happen eventually, but this season was never about winning anyway.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

I'm not sure this gets settled anytime soon.... but with each passing day I'm gaining more respect for KA.     

He's showing some serious backbone, feeling more and more comfortable with him as GM moving forward.    

I still do not understand how anyone can look at the situation this team has found itself in with one of its best players ever and think “wow, this franchise and its management is growing on me.” The only explanation is blind fandom.

• Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I still do not understand how anyone can look at the situation this team has found itself in with one of its best players ever and think “wow, this franchise and its management is growing on me.” The only explanation is blind fandom.

The answer to that depends on that persons big picture perspective.  To many fans, the rebuild/tank of the last decade didn't work.  Many fans just want to start over...even if that means/meant moving Sam, Jack, basically most of what you aquired and built 5-10 years ago. 

Seeing a GM move what was the old/current 'young core' and just start over.......to those people that isn't 'blind fandom', it is a refreshing restart.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SabresVet said:

I have no doubt that Brisson knows how to make things happen and will generate the necessary leverage in any way possible.  

Time is not on Adams' side in this.  

This seems myopic.

Brisson is just as likely to improve Eichel’s return as he is to back Adams into some kind of corner.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I think it's mostly that sports fans are fickle and are always looking for the next big thing to get excited about. A lot of Sabres fans decided that turning on Eichel was fashionable and are now fully committed to justifying that turn.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I still do not understand how anyone can look at the situation this team has found itself in with one of its best players ever and think “wow, this player and its management is growing on me.” The only explanation is blind fandom.

fixed.... 🙂

3 hours ago, mphs mike said:

Another outcome may be the league starts looking for someone to buy the team to get rid of Pegula?????

That’s not how it works, not really.  The league doesn’t control the team and let Pegula own it.  Pegula owns the team and controls 1/32nd of the league.  The team owners own the league, not the other way around.

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This seems myopic.

Brisson is just as likely to improve Eichel’s return as he is to back Adams into some kind of corner.

I’d assume there’s a far better chance of the former than the latter. Just look at the other major trades he’s worked on. Players tend to get full value or even more when under Brisson since it reflects well on his client

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think it's mostly that sports fans are fickle and are always looking for the next big thing to get excited about. A lot of Sabres fans decided that turning on Eichel was fashionable and are now fully committed to justifying that turn.

To be fair, I definitely jumped in that line at one point when I thought we’d get a monstrous return. Then I “got smart.” Now I just want it over.

Just now, Hoss said:

To be fair, I definitely jumped in that line at one point when I thought we’d get a monstrous return. Then I “got smart.” Now I just want it over.

That’s what opposing GMs want; for us to just get it over with. We must stand firm and get a solid to better return for Eichel and that is all there is to it.

• Like (+1) 4

26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This seems myopic.

You are entitled to think what you want, but the change in representation is about getting desired results for the new client.    

People here are speculating the situation remains status quo and praising the GM for that.  I wouldn't be so quick to believe things won't change....whether that benefits the Sabres or not.       

14 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Yes fans are fickle, but Buffalo fans can also be blindly loyal.  

In this case, for most typical fans the perception is that Eichel turned on the team.  It’s much more “normal” for an injured player to work with the team and figure out how to get better and get back in the action.  For a captain, that would go even further to include visibility and outward support for the players.   In the case with Jack none of that happened.   He was not around at the end of the season, had nothing to say about the teams play while he was out, and when he did talk he dumped his “disconnect” story on the media.   Clearly he wanted out that day and most fans saw it and felt it.  

There are also fans, probably a smaller group, that supported Jack and blamed the team.  No one can argue that the organization’s epic dysfunction is not a big part of the problem. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

No, that's your only explanation because you want to view this from your narrow lens. There are a multitude of other explanations including adding multiple younger pieces to a team that isn't going anywhere this year, realizing the build that existed prior had issues and needed a reset, deciding that it is best to part ways with someone who clearly wants to part ways (we could argue the Sabres created that environment but at this point it doesn't matter), and yes it is possible that Eichel just isn't a great team leader and a change of scenery is needed. All viable alternatives to your view of "fans a stupid and that's why!" which is what the bolded basically expresses. 

32 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Well Yes But Actually No GIF by walter_

We could still keep Eichel but it appears the team and Jack (both entities) would like to move on. Jack hasn't handled that well or at least his old agent hasn't. It isn't about looking for the next thing it is about accepting that the team and player want to go separate ways and sure they could reconcile but not sure they will. It would have been foolish for Sabres management to just give in to Eichel or other GMs. It has very little to do with turning on Eichel and more to do with recognizing that a trade is likely and knowing the Sabres must execute it perfectly or we will get Tage Thompson back as the top prospect. 

Adams in comparison to other gms around the league when a player wants to move or is getting moved has handled it well. He hasn't flipped out in the media, he didn't accept some trash offer like a noob to get it over with (Hoss's preferred solution), he hasn't suddenly been pressured into doing something that hurts the franchise because ownership wants it over with (ROR/Botterill). So in the end there is some tiny details that say MAYBE things are a little different. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Yes fans are fickle, but Buffalo fans can also be blindly loyal.  

In this case, for most typical fans the perception is that Eichel turned on the team.  It’s much more “normal” for an injured player to work with the team and figure out how to get better and get back in the action.  For a captain, that would go even further to include visibility and outward support for the players.   In the case with Jack none of that happened.   He was not around at the end of the season, had nothing to say about the teams play while he was out, and when he did talk he dumped his “disconnect” story on the media.   Clearly he wanted out that day and most fans saw it and felt it.  

There are also fans, probably a smaller group, that supported Jack and blamed the team.  No one can argue that the organization’s epic dysfunction is not a big part of the problem. 

Absolutely but trading Jack for peanuts or giving in to his demands would continue that epic dysfunction process that has been this organization since Pegula first started making decisions. It appears at least on the surface that Adams and Karmanos are running the show... if that works is a separate question all together. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Which is the exact opposite of how Adams should behave. He's playing poker and he has the best hand all the way to the river. There is no reason fold because Eichel pushes all in or a rando team like the rangers tries to semi-bluff you off the pot. 

58 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This seems myopic.

What corner? The CBA lays out what can and can't be done on Eichel's part. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Absolutely but trading Jack for peanuts or giving in to his demands would continue that epic dysfunction process that has been this organization since Pegula first started making decisions. It appears at least on the surface that Adams and Karmanos are running the show... if that works is a separate question all together. 

Agree.  Fish may have been goading Adams to trade fast and take what he can.   It didn’t work.  Let’s hope that Adams and Karmanos have the credibility and trust from TP to keep him out of it.   

It is still going to be difficult to find market value for a guy that is paid like a superstar but is injured with no simple path forward.   Either Jack will have to play for us again to prove he can, or another team takes him now/soon and the risk gets  covered with trade conditions.   

1 hour ago, SabresVet said:

You are entitled to think what you want, but the change in representation is about getting desired results for the new client.    

People here are speculating the situation remains status quo and praising the GM for that.  I wouldn't be so quick to believe things won't change....whether that benefits the Sabres or not.       

Desired results is getting Eichel traded.

Why do you think that means the Sabres caving rather than the suitors upping their offers

It could go either way but I’m inclined to think it will go both, meaning compromise

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

That’s what opposing GMs want; for us to just get it over with. We must stand firm and get a solid to better return for Eichel and that is all there is to it.

I’m a fan, not the GM.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Which is the exact opposite of how Adams should behave. He's playing poker and he has the best hand all the way to the river. There is no reason fold because Eichel pushes all in or a rando team like the rangers tries to semi-bluff you off the pot. 

He does not have as good of a hand as you think he does.

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Maybe he did or did not, but it didn’t matter.  Sam Reinhart does not need mentorship from Eichel.  

Reinhart’s has a father that was an excellent and well respected  NHL player.  The young son knew to keep his mouth shut, play hard and put up numbers, and let it play out quietly with the Sabres by not involving the media.  

If only Eichel had such guidance.  

Don’t disagree with you, but Jacks situation was also different with long contract, higher value and of course the injury. Still he should of kept quiet. 

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

What’s wrong with blind fandom? 

• Thanks (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Hoss said:

This is how 94% of arguments start here. Pouncing on one comment in a larger conversation and making accusations without considering the context. 

None of us have proof so to provide any form of opinion on the Eichel situation is to do the same AA and I have been doing in a friendly, enjoyable conversation.

Jay:
Wait, how do you know she was a transvestite?

Andy:
Because her hands were as big as Andre The Giant's. And her Adam's apple was as big as her balls.

Jay:
So you have no proof.

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Haha (+1) 1

Ok.  Lots of folks talking about the fact that Eichel is on contract and Sabres are in control.  Let’s not forget that Eichel does not help us by sitting on IR and his value will likely decrease if this drags into next season. 

At some point he has to play due to one of these scenarios: 

1.  Rest and rehab gets him on the ice 

2. Disc Fusion - Sabres or another team will agree to it and he does it 

3. Disc replacement- Sabres won’t agree to it and it’s very complicated to determine and agree on contractual changes were Eichel or another team accepts risks. 

We can feel good that KA did not get railroaded by Fish.  
We can hope that Eichel’s new agent can actually help to present him to other GMs better than Fish did. 

We are still in a tough place and Adams will likely have to lower his ask to transfer risk to another team.  

That is how I see it.  I was never optimistic of all the great trade scenarios conjured up in this thread.  I still see that a creative way to handle the injury uncertainty is needed. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Ok.  Lots of folks talking about the fact that Eichel is on contract and Sabres are in control.  Let’s not forget that Eichel does not help us by sitting on IR and his value will likely decrease if this drags into next season. 

At some point he has to play due to one of these scenarios: 

1.  Rest and rehab gets him on the ice 

2. Disc Fusion - Sabres or another team will agree to it and he does it 

3. Disc replacement- Sabres won’t agree to it and it’s very complicated to determine and agree on contractual changes were Eichel or another team accepts risks. 

We can feel good that KA did not get railroaded by Fish.  
We can hope that Eichel’s new agent can actually help to present him to other GMs better than Fish did. 

We are still in a tough place and Adams will likely have lower his ask to transfer risk to another team.  

That is how I see it.  I was never optimistic of all the great trade scenarios conjured up in this thread.  I still see that a creative way to handle the injury uncertainty is needed. 

Adams will have to come down some. I predict the winning package will be a blue-chip prospect, a younger prospect a few years away, an unprotected 1st and another mid-round pick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.