Sabres hosting outdoor game in Hamilton Ont.

pastajoe

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

What about the effect on the city of Buffalo?  They support the Sabres financially, I don’t think it’s right that they miss out on the benefit of everything that comes with a big outdoor game event.

Were talking about one game for a franchise whose home attendance is well below-average, understandably so. Secondary tickets were being sold 10 cents on the dollar and in some cases they couldn't even be given away. It has gotten so bad that season ticket holders who had tickets didn't even bother to go to the games. When the Sabres last played an outside home-game it was played in Orchard Park. If it was played there this season how many disillusioned fans would attend? 

The challenge for this bedraggled franchise is to create interest in their team for this apathetic fanbase. The product on the ice has been unentertaining for nearly a decade. The only way to regenerate interest and place fans in the now empty seats is to assemble a more competitive and entertaining team. The outside Hamilton game is a sideshow issue and is inconsequential. Making the Sabres a team worthy of being followed is the real issue. Everything else is BS!  

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Were talking about one game for a franchise whose home attendance is well below-average, understandably so. Secondary tickets were being sold 10 cents on the dollar and in some cases they couldn't even be given away. It has gotten so bad that season ticket holders who had tickets didn't even bother to go to the games. When the Sabres last played an outside home-game it was played in Orchard Park. If it was played there this season how many disillusioned fans would attend? 

The challenge for this bedraggled franchise is to create interest in their team for this apathetic fanbase. The product on the ice has been unentertaining for nearly a decade. The only way to regenerate interest and place fans in the now empty seats is to assemble a more competitive and entertaining team. The outside Hamilton game is a sideshow issue and is inconsequential. Making the Sabres a team worthy of being followed is the real issue. Everything else is BS!  

Correction: the last time the Sabres played an outdoor home game it was played in Queens.

😂

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Sabres in 2019-20 sold home game tickets at 90.7% capacity.  Remarkable considering the product we have had for ten years. 

This is not on the bottom of league average, more like in the middle.  

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Hamilton, Ontario is part of the Sabre market. It might overlap with the Toronto market but people from Hamilton do follow and attend games in Buffalo. 

Anyone who is foolish enough to buy a Sabre season ticket for the garbage product on the ice will again learn that they will be challenged to give away tickets to games that they can't attend. Playing one outside game in Hamilton is not going to change that embarrassing fact. 

The Toronto games played in Buffalo are to a large extent populated with Toronto fans who are willing to play premium prices (that are still less than their home game tickets). So there will be a larger outdoor venue that will increase the paltry revenue that the Buffalo fans generate for home games. 

Again, this is an inconsequential one game issue that has little to do with the fanbase's  lack of interest in a team that has been for a long time uninteresting. The meaningful issue is assembling a team that can compete and be entertaining. To that issue there is no quick or easy solution. Everything else is BS!  

First of all, I am quite aware of our market.  

So your recommendation is don’t be foolish enough to  buy tickets?   I am buying tickets.  I am a lifelong fan.  I am going to games now because life is too short.   Toronto games are the ones I want to see.  I’m not foolish for it.  I think you are foolish to suggest this.   

Your comments on assembling a good team adds nothing to the discussion.  Everyone knows that.  It’s not the point. 

So we should stay at home until they are good. Great idea.  Did you know that Minnesota lost their team once?   Different circumstances but if it can happen there it can happen in Buffalo.  All it takes is poor ownership. 

I asked this question in my first post. I’ll ask again.  If we were a contender, and this game could impact the standings, would giving Toronto an extra home game matter?  

If it matters when we are a contender, then it matters even if we are not.  That is how I roll. 

We don’t need this game to build fans in Hamilton.  We have fans there and so does Toronto.  That market is set.  It’s another terrible decision by a detached ownership.  It will be the ONE game I will not watch.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are completely missing my point.  It does not relate to Sabres fan interest or normal home game attendance.

Attendance is one thing.  Although I feel very confident that an outdoor game vs Toronto would surely sell out.

What about all of the tourist income for the area businesses?  An outdoor game attracts a lot of extra people (fans, media, workers, tv production) compared to a normal game.  People who would be patrons of surrounding businesses.  Those tourist $ should be pumped back into the community, not shipped out of town to Hamilton.

That is my point.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The Sabres in 2019-20 sold home game tickets at 90.7% capacity.  Remarkable considering the product we have had for ten years. 

So your recommendation is don’t be foolish enough to  buy tickets?   I am buying tickets.  I am a lifelong fan.  I am going to games now because life is too short.   Toronto games are the ones I want to see.  I’m not foolish for it.  I think you are foolish to suggest this.   

Your comments on assembling a good team adds nothing to the discussion.  Everyone knows that.  It’s not the point. 

So we should stay at home until they are good. Great idea.  Did you know that Minnesota lost their team once?   Different circumstances but if it can happen there it can happen in Buffalo.  All it takes is poor ownership. 

I asked this question in my first post. I’ll ask again.  If we were a contender, and this game could impact the standings, would giving Toronto an extra home game matter?  

If it matters when we are a contender, then it matters even if we are not.  That is how I roll. 

We don’t need this game to build fans in Hamilton.  We have fans there and so does Toronto.  That market is set.  It’s another terrible decision by a detached ownership.  It will be the ONE game I will not watch.   

Uh oh

1 minute ago, Curt said:

You are completely missing my point.  It does not relate to Sabres fan interest or normal home game attendance.

Attendance is one thing.  Although I feel very confident that an outdoor game vs Toronto would surely sell out.

What about all of the tourist income for the area businesses?  An outdoor game attracts a lot of extra people (fans, media, workers, tv production) compared to a normal game.  People who would be patrons of surrounding businesses.  Those tourist $ should be pumped back into the community, not shipped out of town to Hamilton.

That is my point.

It’s a good point.  And it should not matter if we are a good team or bad team.  Do we want to be a competitive team or not?   

If the Pegula’s want to make more money that is fine.  Now, logistically it might be harder to do it in Highmark Stadium, but your point is still valid.  

The fact they are going into a decided market is silly.  The Bills got nothing but losses, an extra travel day, a chaotic week, and a feeling of irrelevance by playing in Toronto.    Half the Toronto fans cheered for the “visiting” team. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Sure.  Then come to Buffalo, enjoy the game, and spend some time in our city.  Most Hamilton fans (Hamiltonians) would prefer that.  They are going to get gouged on prices.  

Why do you think these ticket prices would be higher than for a game in Buffalo?

Probably not as big an 'after market' ticket selling situation, since it's not a real 'home game' for the Sabres.  Is that it?

2 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Why do you think these ticket prices would be higher than for a game in Buffalo?

Probably not as big an 'after market' ticket selling situation, since it's not a real 'home game' for the Sabres.  Is that it?

Well I don’t know what they are charging yet.  Typically the market drives the prices and being within 60 miles of Toronto provides the opportunity to charge Toronto prices.  We shall see.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

HO couldn’t even support an AHL team.

There is no possible way the Sabres move to Hamilton.  None. Zero.

@SwampD and @Weave are just messing around on a beautiful Saturday afternoon.  I think they should be out on the lake fishin' or something.

• Haha (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Curt said:

That is my point.

The previous home outdoor venue was in Orchard Park. If the outdoor game was relocated there how many tourists and cash $$$ would work its way to the local community? Not as much as you think. 

The Sabres have lost a lot of their fan base for obvious reasons. The organization is hemorrhaging money. (It is due to its own incompetence.) So they play one game in Hamilton to get a bigger $$$ draw than they could for a game in their own home arena. Is this a money grab? Of course it is. Are you shocked that a business enterprise tries a gimmicky thing to increase their revenue? And it should be noted that Hamilton is part of the Sabre market. Assuming that the covid border issue is resolved if you are a Buffalo fan on the American side of the border you will have the opportunity to attend the game if that is one's desire. 

I'm simply not as bothered by this one game issue as you are. As far as I'm concerned this is a trivial issue compared to the imperative of putting out a more competitive and entertaining product. 

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

If you regularly attend the games you should be well aware that a number of the tickets sold for the game were not used due to the lack of interest. And if you are a regular season ticket holder you should be well aware that the unused tickets sold on the secondary market are sold for ten cents on the dollar, assuming there is an interest to buy the unused tickets. How many season tickets do you think the Sabres are going to sell this year? It's about the product and not one bull shiiit game played in another venue. This one game is a meaningless sideshow issue for a mostly apathetic (understandably so) fanbase.

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The previous home outdoor venue was in Orchard Park. If the outdoor game was relocated there how many tourists and cash $$$ would work its way to the local community? Not as much as you think. 

The Sabres have lost a lot of their fan base for obvious reasons. The organization is hemorrhaging money. (It is due to its own incompetence.) So they play one game in Hamilton to get a bigger $$$ draw than they could for a game in their own home arena. Is this a money grab? Of course it is. Are you shocked that a business enterprise tries a gimmicky thing to increase their revenue? And it should be noted that Hamilton is part of the Sabre market. Assuming that the covid border issue is resolved if you are a Buffalo fan on the American side of the border you will have the opportunity to attend the game if that is one's desire. 

I'm simply not as bothered by this one game issue as you are. As far as I'm concerned this is a trivial issue compared to the imperative of putting out a more competitive and entertaining product. 

Money going to the Orchard Park area is infinitely more local than money going to Hamilton Ontario.

For me this directly ties into the issue of pro sports teams and publicly finding their arenas.  The Buffalo area public pays to build these arenas to get/keep these teams.  The payoff is the tourist dollars they attract.

So for me, for the Sabres to pull their largest event of the year out of their home city, it’s just not right.

Its ok if you aren’t very bothered by this.

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I have no problem with this game.  There are plenty of Sabre fans in Southern Ontario, especially Niagara, which technically starts in Hamilton.  I bet there are more Sabre fans in Hamilton than Leaf fans.  Hamiltonians hate everything about The Great Satan.

First of all... Do we have any further confirmation on this story other than from a less than one month old twitter account?

Secondly, Niagara starts in Grimsby not Hamilton. I live right on the border on the Grimsby side. I could walk down the street to take a picture the Niagara sign on one side of the street and the Hamilton sign on the other side (there are also Stoney Creek and Winona signs too) if you would like.

Thirdly, the number of Leaf fans to Sabres fans here would be about 10 to 1 at least. There are more Bruins, Oilers, Penguins, and Habs fans around here than Sabres fans.

Closer to the border, the ratio is a lot better (the Falls and Fort Erie), but once you get to St Catharines, the Leafs are far and away #1. 

25 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You keep saying Hamilton is in the Sabres market.  How many Sabres games end up on TV in Hamilton?

Though the NP is within the Sabres geographic territory, it ISN'T their "market."

51 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

First of all... Do we have any further confirmation on this story other than from a less than one month old twitter account?

Secondly, Niagara starts in Grimsby not Hamilton. I live right on the border on the Grimsby side. I could walk down the street to take a picture the Niagara sign on one side of the street and the Hamilton sign on the other side (there are also Stoney Creek and Winona signs too) if you would like.

Thirdly, the number of Leaf fans to Sabres fans here would be about 10 to 1 at least. There are more Bruins, Oilers, Penguins, and Habs fans around here than Sabres fans.

Closer to the border, the ratio is a lot better (the Falls and Fort Erie), but once you get to St Catharines, the Leafs are far and away #1. 

Whoa big fella.  Easy there.  It's okay Joe.  No worries.  Did I ever tell you the story about my favourite person in the whole wide world is named Joe?  Well, he is.  Well, technically was ... he passed away in 2002.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

You keep saying Hamilton is in the Sabres market.  How many Sabres games end up on TV in Hamilton?

Though the NP is within the Sabres geographic territory, it ISN'T their "market."

There's many Sabre games (TSN / Sportsnet) that are blacked out here in Ontario in the Hamilton area because it is Leaf territory.  It always sucks when that happens.

I read the points in this thread and agree for the most part that this is a strange venue for a Sabres home game.  There are lots of Sabre fans in Ontario but playing the Leafs will not make it a home game.  I would have thought having it in the US would make better sense.

Because we expect the Sabres to be a poor performing team this year I don't see this game as a great way to generate more interest and fans for the Sabres.  Maybe if we played a team like Detroit or Ottawa it would have been better but this game is too close to Toronto to be considered a home game.

This is pretty much a business decision by the teams and NHL and a way to have another outdoor game.

I didn't like the trip that they took to Sweden to play a home and home against Tampa either though.  We lost the extra time taken to travel there and back and lost the games.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.