Sabres hosting outdoor game in Hamilton Ont.

pastajoe

20 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Whoa big fella.  Easy there.  It's okay Joe.  No worries.  Did I ever tell you the story about my favourite person in the whole wide world is named Joe?  Well, he is.  Well, technically was ... he passed away in 2002.

I'm just getting the facts out there. Gotta educate the masses about my home turf!

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 - Outdoor games have lost their appeal IMO.    It just feels so gimmicky at this point.      Pace of play is slow, ice is bad, etc...   do 1 game a year in a cold weather location out in the wilderness and be done with it.  

2 - Hamilton in March?   Really?   What could go wrong... SMH.

3 - This feels like gimmick to sell tickets in Buffalo as the product won't be NHL caliber.    "Oh, you'd like to go to the outdoor game?   Great!   Just buy this 20-pack and we'll include the option to purchase a ticket for the outdoor game :)"

I get @Punch's point here, and it's valid, but I still can't get too worked up about this.  Whether it's a tank year or just a rebuilding year, I don't think the mix of Sabres fans/Leafs fans will be that different with the game in Hamilton as opposed to Buffalo.  In the meantime the team lost an enormous amount of money due to Covid last year and will incur large losses this year as well due to suckitude.  If they want to stanch the bleeding a little with an outdoor game I can't begrudge them.  The players will probably enjoy it.  And, if they bring in a goalie and the team is better than expected and plays an exciting game, it could reflect well on them and help repair their reputation around the league.

I agree that I would not want them to do this after next season.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/28/2021 at 8:58 AM, Pimlach said:

A terrible practice that is now common for fans a bottom feeder.  I remember when a Leafs game ticket was golden.  They always had a large contingent of fans in the Aud anyway, but never close to a majorly and the thought of selling Your Leafs Game ticket to their fans was just a foreign concept.  

The pride in this team has been sucked out.  It’s sad.  I hate this idea of giving away a home game.  Just like the Bills playing “home” games in Toronto.  

Loyalty, Honor and Tradition.  Do they matter any more? 

Throughout the entirety of this drought, my thoughts have often gone back to the '70s Sabres and what those teams built, from the fan base, to a winning tradition. We never won a Cup, I know, but I think back to the solid foundation that those teams built. It seems like these last few years have all, but squandered it. It is really sad.

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

Throughout the entirety of this drought, my thoughts have often gone back to the '70s Sabres and what those teams built, from the fan base, to a winning tradition. We never won a Cup, I know, but I think back to the solid foundation that those teams built. It seems like these last few years have all, but squandered it. It is really sad.

And then, when it nearly all came down, another generation of players REBUILT it starting in 2004 or 05, depending on how you look at it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

And then, when it nearly all came down, another generation of players REBUILT it starting in 2004 or 05, depending on how you look at it.

They also had something in '93 after years of wandering in the desert.

Then again starting in '97, which culminated in the Sabres second *cusp* (hey, oh @PASabreFan) in '99.  Then we have the run of '04, '05 and '06, and the lesser trophy of '07, which has been followed by more wandering in the desert until today.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.