Confirmed Owen Power returning to Michigan for His Sophomore Season

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

How about setting it lower, or not setting it all, and see what happens? For our collective mental health.

Is Television also acting in a certain way? Books? The Telephone? The Newspaper? I don't get the generalization.

Sabres Twitter?  Hockey Twitter.  If you know you know. Otherwise you are like 100 years old.  I’ll be aged out soon enough when the kids are using Crotch Itch or whatever they call the next social media app. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

How about setting it lower, or not setting it all, and see what happens? For our collective mental health.

Is Television also acting in a certain way? Books? The Telephone? The Newspaper? I don't get the generalization.

So, my projection, that anecdotally seems to be, if anything, lower than the average as far as this site is concerned, isn't low enough for you? Once people are more bullish on the Sabres again, will you again pick up the mantle on the other side of the equation?

Otherwise, "not setting it at all"...I mean, you are on a Sabres message board in a thread about Owen Power and talk for what we think he'll be comes up and that bugs you?.....That seems to be a "you", thing, with all due respect.

You quoted me, so perhaps it's a "me" thing.

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This is what I think too and I'm sure it's how both sides will spin it.

I wonder what the actual discussion was and how if it is how each side actually feels.

So hard to say, we can only guess. 

My thought is if the Sabres wanted Power to play in the NHL this year, they'd be able to convince him ($) to do so. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

So hard to say, we can only guess. 

My thought is if the Sabres wanted Power to play in the NHL this year, they'd be able to convince him ($) to do so. 

My believe is if either Pegula or Adams wanted him playing here this season they would show the money to get him to sign. I'm hoping they both know better than to even try, especially Adams.

6 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

My believe is if either Pegula or Adams wanted him playing here this season they would show the money to get him to sign. I'm hoping they both know better than to even try, especially Adams.

Ya. I don't think they are sending him back to "keep him away", either. What we've seen from Adams so far seems to suggest a willingness for this thing to be spearheaded by the youth, with, so far, little to no vet insulation ( at least not the type that would appear to provide a capable measuring stick "challenge" on the young players being expected to carry the load - Mittelstadt and Cozens don't have to beat out anyone and as others are mentioning in the other thread, UPL could earn the job without really earning it either, considering the other goalies.)

I think Adams thinks a return to cwahlidge represents the best course of action for Owen's development and I agree with him

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

I like the move. He could make the team this year but he will be way better in 13 months from now and actually make an impact.

He will come from a winning program that may win it all. He has a good chance at winning gold at the WJHC. He may also win some individual hardware along the way.

His confidence will be high and the Sabres should be on the upswing and in need of the boost.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Almost all of the takes on there are besides the point - people acting like Power is doing this to "avoid" the Sabres and that he'd step right in with another team...wrong. People acting like the Sabres are making a smart decision....also wrong, in a sense.

It's merely the correct decision (I'd argue, the obvious one), for both parties. 

But from a franchise who oh so often seem dead set on making the wrong decisions? It’s a positive.

Good for him. Enjoy college one more year. Hopefully dominate and win the Frozen Four tourney. He doesn't need to be on this Buffalo team this season anyway.

Question though; do the Sabres put him on the Amerks next year to continue development or is he just too good and starts in the NHL? It will be interesting to see.

11 minutes ago, Hawerchuk said:

Good for him. Enjoy college one more year. Hopefully dominate and win the Frozen Four tourney. He doesn't need to be on this Buffalo team this season anyway.

Question though; do the Sabres put him on the Amerks next year to continue development or is he just too good and starts in the NHL? It will be interesting to see.

Id say with Hagg/Butcher both only on 1 year deals, his path to the NHL is pretty set.  The right side is pretty open outside of Jokiharju, but I'm interested to see what they do with Johnson/Bryson/Samuelsson.  Depending who Pysyk plays with, and how that goes, I could see him returning if he finds a home here.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Points 3 and 4 aren't relevant to my post - I didn't question the decision being made, I think it's the correct decision. 

I'm not sure where any unfairness comes in, re: the bold. I think Erik Johnson represents the most likely result and projection, which is what I said. It wasn't an absolute statement, I didn't say his future has been accurately pegged, merely that his *most likely* NHL comparable was accurately offered by dudacek. A solid, reasonably proficient at both ends of the ice, minutes eating second pair D-man for over a decade seems reasonable, to me, as a likely result. 

Would you like to set the expectation at something higher?

Well, you said “accurately pegged the most likely”, which means what?   My interpretation was that you think Johnson is an accurate comparison.  A solid second pairing guy, but disappointing as a #1.  

Yes, I would like to set the expectation higher.  I don’t know why a first pair defenseman isn’t the expectation?  Why not Ekblad as the level?  

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Well, you said “accurately pegged the most likely”, which means what?   My interpretation was that you think Johnson is an accurate comparison.  A solid second pairing guy, but disappointing as a #1.  

Yes, I would like to set the expectation higher.  I don’t know why a first pair defenseman isn’t the expectation?  Why not Ekblad as the level?  

It means I think his most likely result (EJ) was accurately pegged as such. Not a certainty, but rather what I believe to be most likely. 

Meaning I would sooner bet on him becoming a solid second pairing d-man than I would him becoming a true first pairing guy, or above, or a 3rd pairing guy, or below

• Thanks (+1) 1

This is good.

My perfect scenario (I don't even know he rules so I don't know if it is even possible, but....)

-He plays the full year in Michigan.

-When they are done, he ends up playing a game or two with the Sabres.

-At that point, if it can happen he then goes to the Amerks and plays with them during the AHL playoff run I HOPE they have.

Again, don't know what the rules are with his eventual contract, AHL rules, etc...but if it was possible I'd love to see the above happen.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

This is good.

My perfect scenario (I don't even know he rules so I don't know if it is even possible, but....)

-He plays the full year in Michigan.

-When they are done, he ends up playing a game or two with the Sabres.

-At that point, if it can happen he then goes to the Amerks and plays with them during the AHL playoff run I HOPE they have.

Again, don't know what the rules are with his eventual contract, AHL rules, etc...but if it was possible I'd love to see the above happen.

He can do that.

But once he plays the game at any professional paid level he can no longer return to the NCAA. If he has any thoughts of going for his junior year in college he can't do this is my understanding.

7 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

He can do that.

But once he plays the game at any professional paid level he can no longer return to the NCAA. If he has any thoughts of going for his junior year in college he can't do this is my understanding.

I doubt the Sabres have any intention on having him go his Junior year. They’ll sign him at years end and play him here or Rochester.

"A source told the Buffalo News"

Now that most of us believe this is probably good news and the right thing to happen, how much do we know about the source of this "breaking news"?  Going on the past few years of Sabres history, I am skeptical that what we all want is what is really happening.

I'll see it when I believe it, as the new old saying goes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.