Sabres Hired Tim Kennedy and Nathan Paetsch as Development Coaches

Brawndo

5 hours ago, inkman said:

I think you are confusing Pat Kaleta for a guy that didn’t turtle most of the time.  Yes he fought but he was vastly more well known for being a pest, dirty and turtling.  

What on gods green Earth makes you think Mogilny would be remotely close to being a good coach. 

I'd have to believe he'd be better than Nathan Paetsch.

9 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I'd have to believe he'd be better than Nathan Paetsch.

The great one was a terrible coach.  Guys with great god given ability often lack an understanding of what’s needed to succeed as a player as it comes so natural to them. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Do have something that shows this?

All I have ever seen reported was the the 'suspected difference' between the Sabre offer and the arbitrator award was $50,000, but nothing that says what the Sabre offer was.

It was a joke about all the $750K contracts we've been giving out recently, apparently, not a very good one.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Digger said:

Yes but at the end of the day, Darcy was right and the Sabres made the right move in walking away.  The salary awarded was too high and he had to take a big cut elsewhere and never really had much success anywhere else.  

It's too bad because he was a likable player.  So was Kahun.  

It wasn’t much of a “pay cut” if the Sabres paid him $333,000 to leave, and the Rangers signed him for $550,000. 

From what I’ve just read, he made $600,000 for Buffalo. Sabres offered him $800,000 and he wanted $850,000 - then arbitration awarded him $1,000,000. 

Sounds like he made a bad gamble. Made the money that he wanted for one season, but it derailed his chances in hindsight of establishing a solid NHL career, which probably could’ve happened in Buffalo. 

12 hours ago, inkman said:

I think you are confusing Pat Kaleta for a guy that didn’t turtle most of the time.  Yes he fought but he was vastly more well known for being a pest, dirty and turtling.  

I’m fine with that. Opposing teams are going to destroy us if they know there won’t be any retribution. If we need to take some penalties to discourage this behavior, then so be it. I’m sick of our soft team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, kas23 said:

I’m fine with that. Opposing teams are going to destroy us if they know there won’t be any retribution. If we need to take some penalties to discourage this behavior, then so be it. I’m sick of our soft team. 

They signed that goon for a reason not that I am completely aligned 

On 8/18/2021 at 1:12 PM, inkman said:

The great one was a terrible coach.  Guys with great god given ability often lack an understanding of what’s needed to succeed as a player as it comes so natural to them. 

While its true with Gretzky, Its not always the case.

My theory was that with most of the top stars, they have always been the best in their leagues and their talent mostly came natural to them since they were young so while they may have practiced or played all the time, its always been in them to play at their best and seemed easy for them. The lower level guys that bounced around the league or weren't more then a 3rd/4th liner have had to work hard and been coached alot to get to where they are so they have learned from other coaches trying to teach them.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

While its true with Gretzky, Its not always the case.

My theory was that with most of the top stars, they have always been the best in their leagues and their talent mostly came natural to them since they were young so while they may have practiced or played all the time, its always been in them to play at their best and seemed easy for them. The lower level guys that bounced around the league or weren't more then a 3rd/4th liner have had to work hard and been coached alot to get to where they are so they have learned from other coaches trying to teach them.

Few exceptions.  Larry Robinson comes to mind.  I draw a blank after that.

On 8/17/2021 at 12:56 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

So, Patches and the guy the Sabres screwed over are back in town to help develop the kids.

This is so numbskullish that it may actually work.

Sabres didn't screw him over.  He screwed himself over by listening to his agent and filing for arbitration.  He should've taken the Sabres QO or negotiated in good faith.  He got bad advice, followed it, & the rest, as they say, was history.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Sabres didn't screw him over.  He screwed himself over by listening to his agent and filing for arbitration.  He should've taken the Sabres QO or negotiated in good faith.  He got bad advice, followed it, & the rest, as they say, was history.

Yea, that’s how I remember it too. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 8/18/2021 at 10:43 AM, Drag0nDan said:

It was likely his agent who recommended the arbitration route.  Darcy was many things - and I'm pretty sure spiteful was one of them.

I think it all had to do with arbitration.  Darcy didn't like it.  

We’ll never know, but I’d guess the arbitration spite originated from TG/LQ and DR was just executing on their wishes.

Either way Kennedy got bad advice as others have noted.  

On 8/21/2021 at 12:46 PM, Taro T said:

Yup. Had a long conversation with him at Octoberfest.  Not a good vibe.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.