Forwards This Season 2021-22 & Beyond

GASabresIUFAN

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Hayden and Axel-Foley get the last two spots.

What @inkman said on Hayden, and they didn't grab The Hair without the intention of using him.

Caggiula is on the roster for sure.

If the last 3 slots go to AJF, Caggiula and Hayden, then Eakin is getting waived.  I'm ok with that, but my guess is that Eakin stays over Hayden.  

My guess is

Skinner - Mittelstadt - Hinostroza (and anybody who had that as the top line when training camp opened, go blank yourself you fibber)

Bjork - Girgensons - Cozens Olofsson 

Asplund - Ruotsalainen - Okposo

Hayden - Thompson - Jonson-L... Cozens

with Jonson-L... as the 13th and ... Eakin as the spare to never play, Caggiulla as the spare if he'll get to play.

Murray or Peterka as 1st callup depending on who they're replacing.

Edited by Taro T
Forgot Olofsson

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

My guess is

Skinner - Mittelstadt - Hinostroza (and anybody who had that as the top line when training camp opened, go blank yourself you fibber)

Bjork - Girgensons - Cozens

Hayden - Thompson - Jonson-L...

Eakin as the spare to never play, Caggiulla as the spare if he'll get to play.

Ollie? 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

My guess is

Bjork - Girgensons - Cozens

Hayden - Thompson - Jonson-L...

Eakin as the spare to never play, Caggiulla as the spare if he'll get to play.

Missed VO.

I'm going (in no particular order)

Skinner Mitts Hinostroza

Bjork Girgs Okposo

Axel-foley R2 VO

Asplund Cozens Thompson

With Caggiula pushing Bjork and Foley hard and Hayden being the extra guy.

Edited by dudacek

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

My guess is

Bjork - Girgensons - Cozens Olofsson

Hayden - Thompson - Jonson-L... Cozens

with Jonson-L... starting out as 13th F and ... Eakin as the spare to never play, Caggiulla as the spare if he'll get to play.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Missed VO.

I'm going (in no particular order)

Skinner Mitts Hinostroza

Bjork Girgs Okposo

Axel-foley R2 VO

Asplund Cozens Thompson

With Caggiula pushing Bjork and Foley hard and Hayden being the extra guy.

Really looks like a team of 4 3rd lines.

I guess a "good" Mitts and a resurrected Skinner would qualify as a mediocre 2nd line.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Interesting that people are projection AJF into the lineup, despite his never playing in the NHL and having yet to appear in a preseason game.  

Why would the Sabres pick him up if they don't intend to give him a shot?

If they think Eakin Hayden etc. are ahead of him there is no point picking him up only to have the Caps (or someone else) claim him when you send him down.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Really looks like a team of 4 3rd lines.

I guess a "good" Mitts and a resurrected Skinner would qualify as a mediocre 2nd line.

I'd argue a 2nd, a 3rd and 2 4ths.  I think R2 is more skilled then half the 3rd line centers in the NHL and paired with VO we'd have a solid 3rd scoring line.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Why would the Sabres pick him up if they don't intend to give him a shot?

If they think Eakin Hayden etc. are ahead of him there is no point picking him up only to have the Caps (or someone else) claim him when you send him down.

As a spare part that they may eventually work into the lineup as he gets up to speed on DG's system and his teammates. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Interesting that people are projection AJF into the lineup, despite his never playing in the NHL and having yet to appear in a preseason game.  

that's 15 forwards. Someone has to go.

No.  It's been an either/or w/ Eakin / Drake.  If they never intend to use the spare, Eakin stays up.  If they intend to actually use him, then Caggiula stays up.  To have room for Jonson-L... they keep 8 D with the 8th starting g the year on IR effectively only having 7 D.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

No.  It's been an either/or w/ Eakin / Drake.  If they never intend to use the spare, Eakin stays up.  If they intend to actually use him, then Caggiula stays up.  To have room for Jonson-L... they keep 8 D with the 8th starting g the year on IR effectively only having 7 D.

Caggiula is making this team (sorry to say).  KA and DG liked his effort last year and that's why they re-signed him.  He is ahead of Hayden, AFJ and Eakin on the depth chart. 

• Like (+1) 1

With only one preseason game left I have no idea of who will be playing with who in this lineup.  Maybe Granato will be like Lindy Ruff was with moving players all over trying to find that chemistry this season.  There sure is a lot of questions left for me for the line combos and the defense still looks pretty open too.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Caggiula is making this team (sorry to say).  KA and DG liked his effort last year and that's why they re-signed him.  He is ahead of Hayden, AFJ and Eakin on the depth chart. 

We shall see.

IMHO, he or Hayden is the 12th F, so if they run w/ him and have Hayden the spare (should they plan on actually using the spare some) or flip them, it's not really a big thing.

The only reason Eakin might stay up is because that 13th (well 14th keeping g a spot for Jonson-L...) F won't ever play if it's him and they can let the true 13th F play in Ra-cha-cha.  No sense wasting ice time on Eakin.

Eakin could very easily be sent down.  Just not expecting it.

4 minutes ago, Digger said:

With only one preseason game left I have no idea of who will be playing with who in this lineup.  Maybe Granato will be like Lindy Ruff was with moving players all over trying to find that chemistry this season.  There sure is a lot of questions left for me for the line combos and the defense still looks pretty open too.

TBN has an article today on the roster and they seem to think that the D is pretty settled with Dahlin/Joki, Hagg/Miller and some combo of Bryson, Pysyk and Butcher.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think he at least starts in the NHL.  They wouldn't have picked him up on waivers just to waive him to have him go to the AHL, would they?  That said, if he doesn't click right away it will give someone else an opportunity.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

We shall see.

IMHO, he or Hayden is the 12th F, so if they run w/ him and have Hayden the spare (should they plan on actually using the spare some) or flip them, it's not really a big thing.

The only reason Eakin might stay up is because that 13th (well 14th keeping g a spot for Jonson-L...) F won't ever play if it's him and they can let the true 13th F play in Ra-cha-cha.  No sense wasting ice time on Eakin.

Eakin could very easily be sent down.  Just not expecting it.

Caggiula was ahead of Eakin to finish last season and he has been ahead of him in camp.

Hayden provides something unavailable elsewhere on the roster

Axel-Foley was picked up with the intention of giving him time on the NHL roster. You don't make a waiver claim otherwise.

I can see Cody sticking around in the press box for the reasons you describe, but not at the price of sending one of the other three down.

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Hagg/Miller will get abused

I didn't say they were good pairings. I just said that the paper thinks the pairings are settled.  I think Miller is one of the worst in zone D I have even seen.  I disliked the deal when Jbot acquired him just like I dislike the deal acquiring Butcher now.  

Hard to win games when you can't get the puck out of the zone.  Having both Butcher and Miller in the lineup is a disaster imho.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.