Forwards This Season 2021-22 & Beyond

GASabresIUFAN

I am a big fan of Rasmus Asplund and the way he plays.

I take it his 20-goal projection is based entirely on 7 goals in 28 games last year?

Because as near as I can figure he had:

• 1 goal in 29 NHL games the previous year
  • 13 goals in 111 AHL games
  • 20 goals in 170 SHL games
  • 30 goals in 116 Swedish Jr games

He's never been a goal scorer at any level.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Yes. Could be. Chance. Possible. Potentially. Conceivable. Imaginable. Feasible.

If the only barometer for a solid argument is that it's strictly possible, it's a pretty low bar

I believe the sticking point here was the issue of what the point of contention was - whether we have 6 guys on the team who could potentially score 20 (we do), or whether we have 6 who would do it at the same time (exceptionally unlikely - given a simple reading of past data)

The response to me once I initially brought attention to the point made it clear it was all 6 at the same time being considered, which, no offense, isn't going to happen

I'm open for charity wagers on this one if that strikes someone's fancy 

31 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No, he literally said a few posts back that he thinks there could be 6 at the same time

3 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Am I going to be bought up on charges for this horrible crime??? 

Case closed.  Now the next question, how many goalies do we have that will reach 20 wins?  😏

A quick question, why is a trade with the LA Kings not in the cards even if John E. isn't on the table for them. Their C position currently has Kopitar, Danault, Byfield, Vilardi, Turcotte, Anderson-Dolan and Kupari. Is it unreasonable that they could still make a trade for one of these guys even it it's not Byfield?? The Sabres have an over abundance of LHD prospects, I'm surprised we couldn't entice them with a ++ of that for Vilardi, Turcotte or Kupari. 

1 hour ago, jsb said:

A quick question, why is a trade with the LA Kings not in the cards even if John E. isn't on the table for them. Their C position currently has Kopitar, Danault, Byfield, Vilardi, Turcotte, Anderson-Dolan and Kupari. Is it unreasonable that they could still make a trade for one of these guys even it it's not Byfield?? The Sabres have an over abundance of LHD prospects, I'm surprised we couldn't entice them with a ++ of that for Vilardi, Turcotte or Kupari. 

It would depend on how the Eichel trade shakes out. 

Additionally Dahlin and Power would be untouchables at this time so our best LHD prospect would be Johnson

36 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Additionally Dahlin and Power would be untouchables at this time so our best LHD prospect would be Johnson

Well I did name 7 C's on their roster as for us our LHD we have Power, Dahlin, Hagg, Butcher, Samuelsson, Bryson and Johnson. All with varying degrees of NHL pedigrees. If Power and Johnson move into our lineup next year, that leaves several guys that could/should have some traceability and all except Power and Dahlin will be the 3rd guy which I would think is an extra incentive to try and pry one of those C's from them and yes I would think unless Butcher has a sudden comeback year you would have to add something of value for them to make a deal.

9 minutes ago, jsb said:

Well I did name 7 C's on their roster as for us our LHD we have Power, Dahlin, Hagg, Butcher, Samuelsson, Bryson and Johnson. All with varying degrees of NHL pedigrees. If Power and Johnson move into our lineup next year, that leaves several guys that could/should have some traceability and all except Power and Dahlin will be the 3rd guy which I would think is an extra incentive to try and pry one of those C's from them and yes I would think unless Butcher has a sudden comeback year you would have to add something of value for them to make a deal.

Samuelsson is likely closer than Johnson.  I don't think I'd trade either of them right now.  So that leaves not a great selection of LHD, but it would depend on who is coming back.  I may be willing to trade Johnson for Byfield, or Turcotte.  Maybe.

I think @thewookie1 is right all bets are off until the Eichel situation is sorted out one way, or the other.

5 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Samuelsson is likely closer than Johnson.  I don't think I'd trade either of them right now.  So that leaves not a great selection of LHD, but it would depend on who is coming back.  I may be willing to trade Johnson for Byfield, or Turcotte.  Maybe.

I think @thewookie1 is right all bets are off until the Eichel situation is sorted out one way, or the other.

They won't take John E. for Byfield and you think they're going to give us him for Johnson?? Your Johnson may be worth it but not the Sabres one.

• Haha (+1) 1

I am still trying to figure out how tossing a bunch of kids out to get destroyed and humiliated on a nightly basis is going to lead to development? It's just such an anti-logic that I can't wrap my head around it. The lesson about trying to lose should've been learned but very clearly wasn't.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 8/26/2021 at 2:11 PM, thewookie1 said:

*if* the Eichel trade shakes out.  It might not be until well into the season.  I think the team will need to establish its lineup prior to the trade being consummated.

6 hours ago, sabremike said:

I am still trying to figure out how tossing a bunch of kids out to get destroyed and humiliated on a nightly basis is going to lead to development? It's just such an anti-logic that I can't wrap my head around it. The lesson about trying to lose should've been learned but very clearly wasn't.

They acquitted themselves pretty well last year under Granato.  They don't have Reino but they will have Girgs back.  I'm not saying that Girgensons is anywhere near as good as Reino but don't be surprised if he's the opening night 1C.  And further don't be surprised if he does.... ok.

6 hours ago, sabremike said:

They will develop as a team and learn how to play as a team.  Dealing with adversity is very beneficial to anyone's development.  They will be put into every situation and will learn to deal with all of it.  They will learn what it takes to win in the NHL by not doing it much and what greater effort is required for them to get there as a team.  Down the ages this is how it as been done.  Even the greatest players need to learn how to win in the NHL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, sabremike said:

The thing is, the likely Sabres roster this year might not contain a bunch of kids.  It's possible there won't be an outright rookie that makes the roster to start the year.  Cozens is young and still inexperienced, for sure.  But other young players like Dahlin, Joker, Mitts and Thompson have all been in the NHL for 3 (or parts of 3) seasons.  There are other young players that may make the team out of camp like Samuelsson, Ruotsalainen and Luukkonen; but they might just as likely be in Rochester to start the year.

The Sabres have lots of veteran players and even some of their "young" players (Olofsson, Bjork) aren't particularly young. 

I think the Sabres are absolutely going to have nights where they are in over their heads against veteran teams that are focused.  Some of those nights will get ugly, like the two game set against Boston late last season where we lost 5-2 and 6-2 and were badly overmatched. But so much will depend on how focused Granato can keep the Sabres through the season.  The Sabres followed up those 2 losses to the Bruins by beating the Islanders back to back.  82 games is long for every team.  There will be nights where we catch good teams off guard. There will be teams that won't be as good as currently expected.

My bet is that this will be the first season we have since the tank where we exceed expectations.  I realize that isn't saying much as expectations could not be lower.  But I don't mean we are going to finish in 30th place instead of dead last.  I think we finish close to our recent traditional spot that sees us pick in the 7-9 range of the draft, only this year it will feel like we are actually progressing.  

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

The thing is, the likely Sabres roster this year might not contain a bunch of kids.  It's possible there won't be an outright rookie that makes the roster to start the year.  Cozens is young and still inexperienced, for sure.  But other young players like Dahlin, Joker, Mitts and Thompson have all been in the NHL for 3 (or parts of 3) seasons.  There are other young players that may make the team out of camp like Samuelsson, Ruotsalainen and Luukkonen; but they might just as likely be in Rochester to start the year.

The Sabres have lots of veteran players and even some of their "young" players (Olofsson, Bjork) aren't particularly young. 

I think the Sabres are absolutely going to have nights where they are in over their heads against veteran teams that are focused.  Some of those nights will get ugly, like the two game set against Boston late last season where we lost 5-2 and 6-2 and were badly overmatched. But so much will depend on how focused Granato can keep the Sabres through the season.  The Sabres followed up those 2 losses to the Bruins by beating the Islanders back to back.  82 games is long for every team.  There will be nights where we catch good teams off guard. There will be teams that won't be as good as currently expected.

My bet is that this will be the first season we have since the tank where we exceed expectations.  I realize that isn't saying much as expectations could not be lower.  But I don't mean we are going to finish in 30th place instead of dead last.  I think we finish close to our recent traditional spot that sees us pick in the 7-9 range of the draft, only this year it will feel like we are actually progressing.  

The Anderson/Dell pairing means they are going to be giving up at least 4-5 goals on an almost nightly basis (and people who say "UPL" are kidding themselves because he isn't close to NHL ready at this point and having him in Buffalo at any point this season other than a late season cup of coffee would be incredibly stupid) and I'd be stunned if they won more than 20 games and didn't have at least two 10+ game winless streaks.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, sabremike said:

The Anderson/Dell pairing means they are going to be giving up at least 4-5 goals on an almost nightly basis (and people who say "UPL" are kidding themselves because he isn't close to NHL ready at this point and having him in Buffalo at any point this season other than a late season cup of coffee would be incredibly stupid) and I'd be stunned if they won more than 20 games and didn't have at least two 10+ game winless streaks.

I’m kind of with you right now.  I think the offense will be ok.  Assuming the kids continue to progress the center of Mitts, Cozens, R2 should make up 3 capable scoring lines.  I’m more worried about our 3rd D pairing getting caved every night and our complete lack a goaltending.  We could have a -100 differential with a Dell/Anderson combo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m kind of with you right now.  I think the offense will be ok.  Assuming the kids continue to progress the center of Mitts, Cozens, R2 should make up 3 capable scoring lines.  I’m more worried about our 3rd D pairing getting caved every night and our complete lack a goaltending.  We could have a -100 differential with a Dell/Anderson combo

Regardless of the kids progressing, I find it hard to believe, when we haven't had more than 1 scoring line in years, with Eichel and Reinhart here, that after moving them we somehow come up with 3 capable scoring lines. 

32 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Regardless of the kids progressing, I find it hard to believe, when we haven't had more than 1 scoring line in years, with Eichel and Reinhart here, that after moving them we somehow come up with 3 capable scoring lines. 

Simple.  After trading and not replacing ROR, we created a scoring line of Skinner, Eichel and Reinhart.  We foolishly created a super line instead of 2 or 3 capable lines.  We learned last year that the replacement for ROR was here all along in Reinhart, but we stapled him to Jack's hip.  Dumb.  Now we'll have 3 lines centered by three capable centers in Mitts, Cozens, and R2.  Skinner and VO are good scoring wingers.  Thompson should add some scoring from a depth role.  The question becomes can guys like Girgensons (hi 15), KO (27), Asplund (7), Hinostroza (16), Caggiula (13) and Bjork (9) add 10+ goals each next year to help balance the lines.  

Remember I'm not saying this is the TB offense, I'm just saying I think we can roll 3 lines capable of scoring.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Simple.  After trading and not replacing ROR, we created a scoring line of Skinner, Eichel and Reinhart.  We foolishly created a super line instead of 2 or 3 capable lines.  We learned last year that the replacement for ROR was here all along in Reinhart, but we stapled him to Jack's hip.  Dumb.  Now we'll have 3 lines centered by three capable centers in Mitts, Cozens, and R2.  Skinner and VO are good scoring wingers.  Thompson should add some scoring from a depth role.  The question becomes can guys like Girgensons (hi 15), KO (27), Asplund (7), Hinostroza (16), Caggiula (13) and Bjork (9) add 10+ goals each next year to help balance the lines.  

Remember I'm not saying this is the TB offense, I'm just saying I think we can roll 3 lines capable of scoring.  

I don't know that any of those centres will be playing an appropriate role. Casey isn't a 1C, Cozens isn't a 2C, and Ruotsalainen hasn't even played C at the NHL level 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Great points.  From my perspective we will be having 3 lines that are somewhere between a 2nd and 3rd line quality this season.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.