Forwards This Season 2021-22 & Beyond

GASabresIUFAN

On 8/12/2021 at 9:28 AM, bob_sauve28 said:

Might be six or more players that get 20 plus goals. That’s going to be good. I really like the forwards and think they really could be a scoring by committee group. Slot Jack back into line up as just another player and roll with this group as it gets better. ATM line will be facing tougher opposition, and that will be a problem. 

I totally get that they as a group might flop, but I also believe they fit Donny G’s fast moving style. 

Not having good goaltending is really going to hurt, though. It will just put more pressure on forwards to produce, and they will get blamed (unjustly) if they can’t compensate for bad goaltending 

Im also interested on how the PP will be set up. Casey, Ollie and Dahlin for sure, but who else? 

6 or more. A team coming off a last place finish is going to ice the same amount (or MORE) 20 goal scorers than the Sabres team that won the presidents trophy in 07? Come on

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/13/2021 at 11:38 AM, dudacek said:

Need to word that better: if Tage scores about 15/15/30 over 82 games, as you posted, chances are pretty good that will put him in, or flirting with the top 50 RWs in the NHL.

In other words, those are borderline 2nd line numbers, and great numbers for a 3rd liner in today's NHL.

That per game pace would have had Tage around 66th in the league last year for RWs

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

6 or more. A team coming off a last place finish is going to ice the same amount (or MORE) 20 goal scorers than the Sabres team that won the presidents trophy in 07? Come on

Because the goaltending situation last year was a disaster the forwards this year can’t have six 20 goal scorers? Come on

Can see six potential 20 goal scores on this team and I don’t give a sh it about what the 07 team had, that has nothing to do with this team. 

Skinner, Mitts, Ollie, R2, Asplund, Tage and......Jack is still part of this team and could hit 20. Maybe even Cozens. 

I’m not betting farm on it but I sure hope they do it. 

22 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Because the goaltending situation last year was a disaster the forwards this year can’t have six 20 goal scorers? Come on

Can see six potential 20 goal scores on this team and I don’t give a sh it about what the 07 team had, that has nothing to do with this team. 

Skinner, Mitts, Ollie, R2, Asplund, Tage and......Jack is still part of this team and could hit 20. Maybe even Cozens. 

Skinner used to score, but he's scored 21 the past 2 seasons combined

Kinda like Okposo with 11 in his past two combined, or Cody Eakin with 8

Beyond than those three, the next most prolific NHL scorer on the roster is Zemgus with 61 career goals

• Mittelstadt has 27 in his career.
  • Olofsson has never really scored away from Jack
  • R2 has 5 NHL goals
  • Tage has 18
  • Bjork 19
  • Cozens 4
  • Rasmus Asplund has 8 and his career high in any league ever is 10
  • Hinostroza had 16 one year, 22 his other four years combined.
  • Caggiula, with 44 goals in 260 NHL games might be the most successful finisher in the bunch.

These guys could all hit career highs and we'd still be one of the lowest-scoring teams in the league.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Skinner used to score, but he's scored 21 the past 2 seasons combined

Kinda like Okposo with 11 in his past two combined, or Cody Eakin with 8

Beyond than those three, the next most prolific NHL scorer on the roster is Zemgus with 61 career goals

• Mittelstadt has 27 in his career.
  • Olofsson has never really scored away from Jack
  • R2 has 5 NHL goals
  • Tage has 18
  • Bjork 19
  • Cozens 4
  • Rasmus Asplund has 8 and his career high in any league ever is 10
  • Hinostroza had 16 one year, 22 his other four years combined.
  • Caggiula, with 44 goals in 260 NHL games might be the most successful finisher in the bunch.

These guys could all hit career highs and we'd still be one of the lowest-scoring teams in the league.

I’m sticking to my guns. How many games did R2 play in, what would be his 82 game total? Ollie is fine without Jack, Mitts is just coming into his own, Asplund 7 g in 28 games was a 20 goal pace, Skinner is getting nine million to score goals, is there no faith left in that at all? And Jack. 

I hope I am right

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I’m sticking to my guns. How many games did R2 play in, what would be his 82 game total? Ollie is fine without Jack, Mitts is just coming into his own, Asplund 7 g in 28 games was a 20 goal pace, Skinner is getting nine million to score goals, is there no faith left in that at all? And Jack. 

I hope I am right

All you ever said is that you can see that it's possible that many Sabres get to 20 goals AND that you hope it happens.  As far as I know you have not predicted 20 goals from so and so ,but you outlined how it may be possible.  Good on you for the optimism.

I don't think anyone should be coming at you for this stance.  You are hoping that the Sabres find ways to score goals.  Nothing wrong with that.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 8/18/2021 at 11:02 AM, New Scotland (NS) said:

All you ever said is that you can see that it's possible that many Sabres get to 20 goals AND that you hope it happens.  As far as I know you have not predicted 20 goals from so and so ,but you outlined how it may be possible.  Good on you for the optimism.

I don't think anyone should be coming at you for this stance.  You are hoping that the Sabres find ways to score goals.  Nothing wrong with that.

It's an interesting question as to which of our forwards have 20+ goal potential next season

1) Skinner?  Scored 40 with Jack, but hasn't been close since.  Has 20 goal potential still but probably not 30.

2) Mitts? scored 10 in 41 games last year despite the handicap of playing 13 games under Rasputin.  He had 8 goals in his last 20 games.  At least 20 goals should be a minimum goal for next season

3) Olofsson - He'll probably score 15 on the PP alone next season.  I think we can pencil in at least 20 over 82 games.  He has scored at .31 goals/gp so far in the NHL.

4) Thompson - Had 8 in 38 games last year with 7 goals in his last 20 games.  If he plays with Mitts, 20 is a real possibility.

5) Asplund - Had a huge breakout once given a legit roster slot.  Had 7 goals in 28 game last year which is an approximate 20 goal pace.  Like Tage, 6 of his goals came playing with Mitts.  That said, I see him as a 3rd line 2 way forward.  I'd set expectations more at 15 goals.  He reminds me of Jochen Hecht who topped out at 21 goals.

6) Cozens - He'll score 20 in the NHL someday soon, but will it be next season.  Let's hope so.

7) R2 - Scored 5 in only 17 games.  Has the skills to be a top 6 forward in the NHL imho.  Like Asplund, I actually expected more playing making (aka assists) then we saw last season.  Still, if he is given a top 6 role.  20 goals is reasonably possible.

8.) Others? [career hi in "()"]  KO (27), Girgensons (15), Hinostroza (16), and Caggiula (13) all have add 10+ goal seasons in the past, but none have ever reached 20 except KO and he hasn't come close in 6 years.  Bjork's best is 9.

Of the 7 guys I've listed with 20 goal potential, I'd wager on only Mitts and VO reaching that goal next season.  Others will come close as I think our offense will be OK next season.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It's an interesting question as to which of our forwards have 20+ goal potential next season

1) Skinner?  Scored 40 with Jack, but hasn't been close since.  Has 20 goal potential still but probably not 30.

2) Mitts? scored 10 in 41 games last year despite the handicap of playing 13 games under Rasputin.  He had 8 goals in his last 20 games.  At least 20 goals should be a minimum goal for next season

3) Olofsson - He'll probably score 15 on the PP alone next season.  I think we can pencil in at least 20 over 82 games.  He has scored at .31 goals/gp so far in the NHL.

4) Thompson - Had 8 in 38 games last year with 7 goals in his last 20 games.  If he plays with Mitts, 20 is a real possibility.

5) Asplund - Had a huge breakout once given a legit roster slot.  Had 7 goals in 28 game last year which is an approximate 20 goal pace.  Like Tage, 6 of his goals came playing with Mitts.  That said, I see him as a 3rd line 2 way forward.  I'd set expectations more at 15 goals.  He reminds me of Jochen Hecht who topped out at 19 goals.

6) Cozens - He'll score 20 in the NHL someday soon, but will it be next season.  Let's hope so.

7) R2 - Scored 5 in only 17 games.  Has the skills to be a top 6 forward in the NHL imho.  Like Asplund, I actually expected more playing making (aka assists) then we saw last season.  Still, if he is given a top 6 role.  20 goals is reasonably possible.

8.) Others? [career hi in "()"]  KO (27), Girgensons (15), Hinostroza (16), and Caggiula (13) all have add 10+ goal seasons in the past, but none have ever reached 20 except KO and he hasn't come close in 6 years.  Bjork's best is 9.

Of the 7 guys I've listed with 20 goal potential, I'd wager on only Mitts and VO reaching that goal next season.  Others will come close as I think our offense will be OK next season.

Does Dahlin make the list of possible 20 men? It’s possible, but probably not likely 

• Like (+1) 1

Lot of talk about goal scoring, but who's getting the puck to wingers this season?  Subtracting Jack and now Reinhart means that Mittelstadt and Cozens are going to face tougher defenses as the 1C and 2C now.  

Besides, analyzing this team based on last year's production is fool's gold.  No one should assume these younger players will improve dramatically as they're placed into  higher pressure roles.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

5) Asplund - Had a huge breakout once given a legit roster slot.  Had 7 goals in 28 game last year which is an approximate 20 goal pace.  Like Tage, 6 of his goals came playing with Mitts.  That said, I see him as a 3rd line 2 way forward.  I'd set expectations more at 15 goals.  He reminds me of Jochen Hecht who topped out at 19 goals.

It's a math problem. 

There are 6 guys that could hypothetically score 20.

The chances of that happening for all 6 at once is slim to nil. It's not going to happen - it's not optimism, it's false hope

In the last 10 seasons of Sabres Hockey, we've had 3 or less 20 goal scorers 8 of the 10 years, and the other 2 years we had 4. We're going to go to 6 20 goal scorers, after losing Reinhart, after finishing 28th overall in goals last season?

Edited by Thorny

34 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

Lot of talk about goal scoring, but who's getting the puck to wingers this season?  Subtracting Jack and now Reinhart means that Mittelstadt and Cozens are going to face tougher defenses as the 1C and 2C now.  

Besides, analyzing this team based on last year's production is fool's gold.  No one should assume these younger players will improve dramatically as they're placed into  higher pressure roles.

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's a math problem. 

The chances of that happening for all 6 at once is slim to nil. It's not going to happen - it's not optimism, it's false hope

In the last 10 seasons of Sabres Hockey, we've had 3 or less 20 goal scorers 8 of the 10 years, and the other 2 years we had 4. We're going to go to 6 20 goal scorers, after losing Reinhart, after finishing 28th overall in goals last season?

The question was not who is going to score 20 goals but who has the potential to score 20 goals.  Those are very different questions and based on their performance with DG as coach guys like Asplund, R2 and Thompson were scoring at a 20 goal pace at the end of last season.  That implies they have that potential.  However if you read the end of my post I said the following :

Of the 7 guys I've listed with 20 goal potential, I'd wager on only Mitts and VO reaching that goal next season. 

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The question was not who is going to score 20 goals but who has the potential to score 20 goals.  Those are very different questions and based on their performance with DG as coach guys like Asplund, R2 and Thompson were scoring at a 20 goal pace at the end of last season.  That implies they have that potential.  However if you read the end of my post I said the following :

Of the 7 guys I've listed with 20 goal potential, I'd wager on only Mitts and VO reaching that goal next season. 

I was using your post in support of mine due to the conclusion you just bolded 

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

My money would be on only two guys scoring 20, but I don't think VO will be one of them.  Just a gut feel without Jack running the PP.

I think Mitts is the most likely to put up 20.  After that..... I'd say there will be another to put up 20, I just can't predict which mediocre player will do it now that they will be in a role 1 or 2 lines above where they should be.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

My money would be on only two guys scoring 20, but I don't think VO will be one of them.  Just a gut feel without Jack running the PP.

I think Mitts is the most likely to put up 20.  After that..... I'd say there will be another to put up 20, I just can't predict which mediocre player will do it now that they will be in a role 1 or 2 lines above where they should be.

This makes a lotta sense to me.

I'm pretty confident Mitts will get 20 because he can and he will get the opportunity.

And somebody is going to take advantage of the ice time and the opportunity and surprise us.

My money would be on R2, but it literally could be anyone.

FYI, In the last 10 full seasons (or mostly full as we played 69 in 20109/20) we have had 3 or 4 20+ goal scorers every season but the 2 tank years.  Even in 2013/14 we had 2.

What made the good teams of 09/10 & 10/11 good wasn't the 4 20+ goal scorers, but 11 guys with 10+ goals each year.

It seems to me that the more guys we have with 10 plus goals the more depth we'll display and the better our offense will be especially at even strength.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

FYI, In the last 10 full seasons (or mostly full as we played 69 in 20109/20) we have had 3 or 4 20+ goal scorers every season but the 2 tank years.  Even in 2013/14 we had 2.

What made the good teams of 09/10 & 10/11 good wasn't the 4 20+ goal scorers, but 11 guys with 10+ goals each year.

It seems to me that the more guys we have with 10 plus goals the more depth we'll display and the better our offense will be especially at even strength.

Already had this, only with less spin

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

It's a math problem. 

On 8/18/2021 at 8:24 AM, bob_sauve28 said:

Is six potential 20 goal scores the same as 6 actual 20 goal scorers?  Everyone you named can potentially do it in the right circumstance.   All in the same year?  All this coming season?   No way. 

I could see ZERO 20 goal scorers as far more likely than 6.

Mitts maybe.  Tage maybe.  Skinner and Olofsson need to be feed but by whom?  

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Is six potential 20 goal scores the same as 6 actual 20 goal scorers?  Everyone you named can potentially do it in the right circumstance.   All in the same year?  All this coming season?   No way. 

Again, @bob_sauve28 has never said there will be 6 20 goal scorers.  He has only ever said he could see 6 potential 20 goal scorers.  He never predicted who would score 20.  He has said it would be nice and hopes it hapens.  He knows potential is not same as actual.

Not picking on you in particular, but his posts have been getting a lot of flack.  Yours in comparison to many is very mild.

13 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

As I pointed out above, Asplund and Tage were scoring at a 20 goal pace last season when paired with Mittelstadt.  If you are looking for a playmaker on his squad look no further then R2.  He seems to be able to tailor his game to give his team what it needs.  Does the team need scoring he scores, does it need playmaking he'll create.  I really like this kid and think he'll be the biggest positive surprise on offense next season.  If KA doesn't bring in another center, I expect( Hope?) he'll get a chance to anchor a line.  

PS: I actually think we have 7 guys (Skinner, Mitts, VO, Asplund, R2, Tage and Cozens) who could potentially score 20 next season, but I think only Mitts and Olofsson will.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Again, @bob_sauve28 has never said there will be 6 20 goal scorers.  He has only ever said he could see 6 potential 20 goal scorers.  He never predicted who would score 20.  He has said it would be nice and hopes it hapens.  He knows potential is not same as actual.

Not picking on you in particular, but his posts have been getting a lot of flack.  Yours in comparison to many is very mild.

I did ask him to clarify “potential”.   For next season season I see potential for zero, maybe 2 tops.  

15 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

No, he literally said a few posts back that he thinks there could be 6 at the same time

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.