Forwards This Season 2021-22 & Beyond

GASabresIUFAN

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

My peak hope for Cozens would be a Ryan O'Reilly level player: 65-70 points, all-situations.

And if that's where Cozens ends up, I have no problem projecting Mitts, Tage and Krebs as creating Schenn/Bozak/Thomas level depth.

Not ideal, and not a powerhouse, but contender-level.

That's a lot on Cozens though and it's probably not soon.

Ya, take the last full season, ROR had 77 points and was 18th for centres in scoring, combined with his elite two way ability, that's a strong 1C. I think he could get there, or I've mentioned Jeff Carter before, but my initial post was more about what I think is becoming closer to a "certainty", more of a consideration of floor than ceiling. What I'd feel confident betting on. I see strong 2C as likely. 

I'm looking at teams like Calgary and Carolina with their 1Cs that are point a game or slightly better (Aho, Lindholm)...Carolina with Trochek (43p in 47 games last year) behind him. Calgary has Monahan (Mitts?)..Ideally I'd like to find the Aho/Lindholm type guy (and not saying Cozens can't get there). But even if he doesn't, the depth route is possible and Cozens solidifying right now plays into that for me. 

I’ve been plotting my ideal but realistic roster for next year and I’ve come to a bit of a road bump.

I neither want to pencil Krebs, Quinn and Peterka all in nor make it impossible for them to play next year. So far I have

Skinner - Mitts - Tuch

Asplund - Thompson - Olofsson

??? - Cozens - ???

??? - Girgensons - Okposo

Option 1: would be to stick the 3 youngsters into the 3 ???s and use the likes of R2, Bjork, and Murray as potential extras.

Option 2: Go out and over pay some vet winger to a short 1 or 2 year deal to run with Cozens and leave 2 spots for youngsters and 1 either subs in or sticks in Rochester. 

Option 3: Sign a few JAGs and let the pieces fall as they may.

Option 4: Other

Just so you understand the fuller situation, my projected D would be

Dahlin - Jokiharju

Power - Letang on a 2x9.5mil contract

Samuelsson - Bryson

Pysyk

As for goaltending, there isn’t much out there. Kuemper is the only competent UFA not named Campbell.

52 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I’ve been plotting my ideal but realistic roster for next year and I’ve come to a bit of a road bump.

I neither want to pencil Krebs, Quinn and Peterka all in nor make it impossible for them to play next year. So far I have

Skinner - Mitts - Tuch

??? - Cozens - ???

Option 1: would be to stick the 3 youngsters into the 3 ???s and use the likes of R2, Bjork, and Murray as potential extras.

Option 2: Go out and over pay some vet winger to a short 1 or 2 year deal to run with Cozens and leave 2 spots for youngsters and 1 either subs in or sticks in Rochester. 

Dahlin - Jokiharju

Samuelsson - Bryson

Pysyk

As for goaltending, there isn’t much out there. Kuemper is the only competent UFA not named Campbell.

It will be a huge surprise to me if Krebs and Quinn are not on the team and I expect Peterka to make it as well.

Personally I like Thompson Olofsson Asplund as a reliable 2-way 2nd line I’m comfortable putting out in all situations.

The idea of Kyle Okposo on the 4th line is so Ralph Krueger to me. Okposo and Cozens are showing some chemistry. I think Cozens improves both ends and you add Girgs to the mix for a 2nd line to match up against the tough lines.

Jeff Skinner is always a tough one to fit for me. Putting him with Mitts and Tuch might maximize his offensive chances. They’d be scary in our zone, but they should be good on the rush and the cycle. That’s my offensive situations 2nd line.

And I’d want to roll with JJ Peyton and Jack as an exciting 4th line who should be able to outskill their matchups.

I believe Bjork Murray and R2 have to be in the mix for spares, but ideally I’d rather sign a Sheahan type and a Deslauriers type in those roles.

I get the desire to push Girgs and Kyle down, I’d rather give the kids a chance to make that happen organically before shopping around outside.

When you’ve got 20-year-olds producing like they are, it’s not a risk giving them a shot, it’s time.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

There is not really much room for outside help to our forwards next year if VO is re-signed.

Assuming Krebs and Quinn are part of the mix, we already have 11 forwards for next year

Vets(5): Girgensons, VO, KO, Skinner and Tuch

Young Vets (3): Mitts, Thompson, Asplund

Kids + (3): Krebs, Quinn and Cozens.  If JJP makes the team, you now have 12 forwards.  What if we win the lottery and draft Wright? 

Murray and R2 might also claim spots. What if KA wants to keep his one good FA in Hinostroza for more veteran presence? What does he do with Bjork's contract?

Assuming we don't get Wright, but JJP earns an NHL job

Skinner Mitts VO 

JJP Thompson Quinn

Krebs Cozens Tuch

Girgensons Asplund KO  

This is really a case of rolling 4 lines.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Skinner - Mitts - Tuch

??? - Cozens - ???

I guess I'm the only one around here who thinks Murray-Cozens-Okposo is our best line lately and I'd keep them together. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I guess I'm the only one around here who thinks Murray-Cozens-Okposo is our best line lately and I'd keep them together. 

I like Murray as well.  He adds another physical presence and he drives the net.  He certainly could make the team next year.

Here is the issue.  

Signed current players (9): Skinner, KO, Tuch, Girgensons, Mitts, Thompson, Bjork, Cozens and Asplund.  Other then Bjork, all these guys are contributors.  

Even assuming Bjork goes away (please!), that leaves only 4 starting jobs.

Contenders

1) RFAs (3) Murray, Routsalainen and Olofsson.  Can KA really let VO walk?  Will he trade him at the deadline?

2) Rookies (3) JJP, Quinn, and Krebs

With Bjork, that's 15 guys for 12 starting jobs and one or two "extras."    If Hinostroza is re-signed, that's 16 internal candidates for 13-14 jobs.

I actually think we'll get some clarity on this at the deadline.  I can see Hinostroza getting traded at the deadline for more assets.  I can also see R2 on the block, but also stepping into Vinnie's role to help KA and Co evaluate his future with the club.   Maybe he can send Bjork packing as well at the deadline.

By the way it's just as confusing on the Defense.

I think we all assume Jokiharju, Dahlin and Power will be in the lineup.  After that Bryson (RFA), Samuelsson (AHL) are LHD looking for an NHL job.  Laaksonen and Fitzgerald are RHD's in Roch who are also looking for an NHL opportunity.  In theory KA doesn't have to bring in any external candidates here either to complete a balanced D group.  I doubt KA goes this direction.  Pysyk could easily be re-signed.  My hope is that KA finds another Vet stay at home D to help solidify the group.  

8 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Skinner - Mitts - Tuch

??? - Cozens - ???

Dahlin - Jokiharju

Samuelsson - Bryson

Pysyk

I like Tuch with Cozens and Krebs on LW.  Quinn could play with Mitts. 

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

It will be a huge surprise to me if Krebs and Quinn are not on the team and I expect Peterka to make it as well.

Personally I like Thompson Olofsson Asplund as a reliable 2-way 2nd line I’m comfortable putting out in all situations.

The idea of Kyle Okposo on the 4th line is so Ralph Krueger to me. Okposo and Cozens are showing some chemistry. I think Cozens improves both ends and you add Girgs to the mix for a 2nd line to match up against the tough lines.

Jeff Skinner is always a tough one to fit for me. Putting him with Mitts and Tuch might maximize his offensive chances. They’d be scary in our zone, but they should be good on the rush and the cycle. That’s my offensive situations 2nd line.

And I’d want to roll with JJ Peyton and Jack as an exciting 4th line who should be able to outskill their matchups.

I believe Bjork Murray and R2 have to be in the mix for spares, but ideally I’d rather sign a Sheahan type and a Deslauriers type in those roles.

I get the desire to push Girgs and Kyle down, I’d rather give the kids a chance to make that happen organically before shopping around outside.

When you’ve got 20-year-olds producing like they are, it’s not a risk giving them a shot, it’s time.

I’m just expecting Okposo to slow down at some point. Otherwise I know he has chemistry with Girgs. But I wouldn’t doubt he’d get time on other lines.

10 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Skinner - Mitts - Tuch

??? - Cozens - ???

Dahlin - Jokiharju

Samuelsson - Bryson

Pysyk

Have said before that it really seems that all 13 or 14 F's next year are already in the system.  Okposo tends to really work well with both Cozens & Girgensons, so there's the defensively responsible line that can still create chances & score.  Let's call tha the Drury line.  The line w/ Thompson centering Asplund & Olofsson was working very well prior to Victor's injury.  Let's call that the Roy line.  Would really like to see Mittelstadt & Tuch together; expect Skinner would start the year there but bounce his way down a few lines by the end of October.  Not a true Briere line, but close enough for government work.  Which leaves some combination of Peterka, Krebs, Quinn, R2 Rou2, Murray, or a surprise camp standout like Pekar or Weisbach, or other potential surprise filling out the 4th line.  Bjork either becomes Amerks captain or is designated 13th F.

The D is where outside help comes from plus UPL's battery mate.  No reason to believe it'll happen based on results to date, but do expect that Adams finds this team's Leddy & still useful Boychuk (not the ACTUAL Boychuk like he grabbed this year) this off-season as he actually proactively uses that capspace and grabs a couple of really good 2nd pairing guys to help Dahlin, Power, & crew figure it out.  (Letang could actually fit that bill at this stage of his career.)

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I like Murray as well.  He adds another physical presence and he drives the net.  He certainly could make the team next year.

Here is the issue.  

Signed current players (9): Skinner, KO, Tuch, Girgensons, Mitts, Thompson, Bjork, Cozens and Asplund.  Other then Bjork, all these guys are contributors.  

Even assuming Bjork goes away (please!), that leaves only 4 starting jobs.

Contenders

1) RFAs (3) Murray, Routsalainen and Olofsson.  Can KA really let VO walk?  Will he trade him at the deadline?

2) Rookies (3) JJP, Quinn, and Krebs

With Bjork, that's 15 guys for 12 starting jobs and one or two "extras."    If Hinostroza is re-signed, that's 16 internal candidates for 13-14 jobs.

I actually think we'll get some clarity on this at the deadline.  I can see Hinostroza getting traded at the deadline for more assets.  I can also see R2 on the block, but also stepping into Vinnie's role to help KA and Co evaluate his future with the club.   Maybe he can send Bjork packing as well at the deadline.

I'm just not seeing an "issue" because there is tons of cap room and many of these guys are meh to nothing and I just don't care about them (like Bjork).

So, I'm seeing a continuation from KA,

VO (will be signed, he's RFA and isn't impressive enough to get any big offers or have big demands) - Thompson-Asplund is a line

Skinner-Mitts-Tuch is a line

Murray (will also be signed as he has no real resume yet) - Cozens- Okposo is a line

4th line of Girgs and whoever, hopefully some big tough checkers, penalty killers, something like that, not that important at this stage.

Now IF Quinn, Peterka, Krebs are ready you bump out the underperforming crap to the pressbox or wherever. Who cares? It'll simply mean we are finally getting better. So Okposo can sit his last year or whoever. Asplund, Mitts, etc. will have to perform and fight to keep their jobs. This is good. Overdue. Just don't see it as a negative or an issue. 

• GASabresIUFAN changed the title to Forwards This Season 2021-22 & Beyond
56 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm just not seeing an "issue" because there is tons of cap room and many of these guys are meh to nothing and I just don't care about them (like Bjork).

So, I'm seeing a continuation from KA,

VO (will be signed, he's RFA and isn't impressive enough to get any big offers or have big demands) - Thompson-Asplund is a line

Skinner-Mitts-Tuch is a line

Murray (will also be signed as he has no real resume yet) - Cozens- Okposo is a line

4th line of Girgs and whoever, hopefully some big tough checkers, penalty killers, something like that, not that important at this stage.

Now IF Quinn, Peterka, Krebs are ready you bump out the underperforming crap to the pressbox or wherever. Who cares? It'll simply mean we are finally getting better. So Okposo can sit his last year or whoever. Asplund, Mitts, etc. will have to perform and fight to keep their jobs. This is good. Overdue. Just don't see it as a negative or an issue. 

I'm not using "Issue" as a negative.  I'm using it to convey that there are so many options and roster scenarios that need clarification.  For example.  Victor will be 27 at the start of next season.  Does KA really want to commit to him for 5 years at 5+ mill at this point for the pending RFA?  VO has arbitration rights and could decide to go to arbitration and then only take a one year deal.  KA at that point may opt to trade him at the deadline to avoid overpaying or only having him next season.  Remember he only wants players who want to be here.  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm not using "Issue" as a negative.  I'm using it to convey that there are so many options and roster scenarios that need clarification.  For example.  Victor will be 27 at the start of next season.  Does KA really want to commit to him for 5 years at 5+ mill at this point for the pending RFA?  VO has arbitration rights and could decide to go to arbitration and then only take a one year deal.  KA at that point may opt to trade him at the deadline to avoid overpaying or only having him next season.  Remember he only wants players who want to be here.  

God I hope not. He's not worth that kind of money or term. He's a limited one dimensional player who can serve a role, but isn't all that important. I would hope KA has a good forward thinking plan that will prepare for needed cap space when/if all the Cozens, Powers etc start to want money. (and hopefully deserve money). 

Honestly I'd been fine with trading him, but if we kept him and he got overpaid in arbitration I'd be fine with letting him walk in a year too. Less desirable, but not earth shattering. 

5 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

God I hope not. He's not worth that kind of money or term. He's a limited one dimensional player who can serve a role, but isn't all that important. I would hope KA has a good forward thinking plan that will prepare for needed cap space when/if all the Cozens, Powers etc start to want money. (and hopefully deserve money). 

Honestly I'd been fine with trading him, but if we kept him and he got overpaid in arbitration I'd be fine with letting him walk in a year too. Less desirable, but not earth shattering. 

See that is just one question with 4 different scenarios.  I think he'll be re-signed and I do disagree that he is still only a one dimensional player.  His playmaking this year has improved immensely.  

Ultimately having to much talent or to many capable forward is a good problem.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

See that is just one question with 4 different scenarios.  I think he'll be re-signed and I do disagree that he is still only a one dimensional player.  His playmaking this year has improved immensely.  

Ultimately having to much talent or to many capable forward is a good problem.  

You're over valuing much of what we have. If we had this abundance of talent, we wouldn't be near the bottom of the league. 

The kids in Rochester MIGHT be, and then we might have it, but until they become good NHLers, this is a thin roster. There are some okay and so so players but it's far from a talented roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/13/2021 at 11:45 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

There is not really much room for outside help to our forwards next year if VO is re-signed.

Assuming Krebs and Quinn are part of the mix, we already have 11 forwards for next year

Kids + (3): Krebs, Quinn and Cozens.  If JJP makes the team, you now have 12 forwards.  What if we win the lottery and draft Wright? 

Murray and R2 might also claim spots. What if KA wants to keep his one good FA in Hinostroza for more veteran presence? What does he do with Bjork's contract?

Skinner Mitts VO 

JJP Thompson Quinn

Krebs Cozens Tuch

Girgensons Asplund KO  

That's still a ridiculously unproven top 6 centre spine. Would be a roller coaster to see if we get the improvement next season we want with that group. What are the expectations? 

The top 6 centres listed there right now represent a total of 19 points scored this season so far

Mittelstadt injury bums me out - would be tough to see that as a roster that could fight for the playoffs unless Casey comes back strong this year and really shows something in a substantial sample size 

Edited by Thorny

On 12/14/2021 at 7:55 AM, Taro T said:

Have said before that it really seems that all 13 or 14 F's next year are already in the system.  Okposo tends to really work well with both Cozens & Girgensons, so there's the defensively responsible line that can still create chances & score.  Let's call tha the Drury line.  The line w/ Thompson centering Asplund & Olofsson was working very well prior to Victor's injury.  Let's call that the Roy line.  Would really like to see Mittelstadt & Tuch together; expect Skinner would start the year there but bounce his way down a few lines by the end of October.  Not a true Briere line, but close enough for government work.  Which leaves some combination of Peterka, Krebs, Quinn, R2 Rou2, Murray, or a surprise camp standout like Pekar or Weisbach, or other potential surprise filling out the 4th line.  Bjork either becomes Amerks captain or is designated 13th F.

The D is where outside help comes from plus UPL's battery mate.  No reason to believe it'll happen based on results to date, but do expect that Adams finds this team's Leddy & still useful Boychuk (not the ACTUAL Boychuk like he grabbed this year) this off-season as he actually proactively uses that capspace and grabs a couple of really good 2nd pairing guys to help Dahlin, Power, & crew figure it out.  (Letang could actually fit that bill at this stage of his career.)

I'm on the hopium today too man but there's way too much "briere drury roy" in this, particularly Briere. Why make the comparison at all with Mitts when Briere was an over-point-a-game guy and Mitts has 1 point this season. That's not government work close. 

Thompson/Mittelstadt could be a reasonable top 6 C unit in the interim if the expectations aren't high again but to think that sort of combination represents a F unit that has *no room* for changes is a bit off, imo. We don't have a 1C, maybe not even a 2C in that group

At least if the goal is playoffs 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

You're over valuing much of what we have. If we had this abundance of talent, we wouldn't be near the bottom of the league. 

The kids in Rochester MIGHT be, and then we might have it, but until they become good NHLers, this is a thin roster. There are some okay and so so players but it's far from a talented roster. 

This. We were saying *last* season on here we had finally reached a talent tipping point. We aren't close to an "abundance" level of talent. 

Things are looking promising! One step at a time. 

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

This. We were saying *last* season on here we had finally reached a talent tipping point. We aren't close to an "abundance" level of talent. 

Things are looking promising! One step at a time. 

Exactly. We need Power, Krebs, Quinn to all shine just to replace Risto, Eichel, Reinhart. Not suggesting these as equivalents, just that we removed the "talent" we had at a point when we were bad, so we need to replace that AND add more, much more. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/14/2021 at 12:45 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Skinner Mitts VO 

JJP Thompson Quinn

Krebs Cozens Tuch

Girgensons Asplund KO  

I hope they keep Wright in the OHL if they win the lottery, though I would bet any money on that scenario 

JJ seems to have hit a bit of a wall, as of late, but I fully expect him on a Sabres uniform next October.  

I don’t get why there’s an apprehensiveness to add talent to a team that’s currently on pace for 65 points. 

In theory, all of these forwards show some sort of potential. They’re (almost) all impressing individually, but if they were that good this team would be better right now.

Hopefully Thompson continues his development, hopefully Mitts comes back strong, hopefully Skinner and KO continue their revitalization, hopefully VO keeps enhancing the offense, hopefully Cozens, Krebs, JJP & Quinn continue to progress how they are. 

But at the end of the days it’s all ‘hopefully.’ 

If we want to see a serious playoff contender and an improved team, you need to bring in talent and make these ‘hopeful’ players earn their spots. In the big picture, it’s a roster full of JAGs, under performers, and young prospects that aren’t ready to be relied on for real success. 

Who exactly gets pushed out if KA brings in more talent? That’s not for me to say. Along with the rest of you, I can make a spot in my head for these 13-14 forwards next year. But will those guys actually bring more talent and overall team improvement? That’s a risky bet to make. 

Bring in real proven talent, bolster the group, and if all of these young guys improve and the veterans stabilize as we’re hoping, then you have a good problem. You ship some players off for more assets to better your roster even more in the future. But to bet on the current roster that, as said above, is currently on pace for a 65 point season? Doesn’t sound like a successful formula to me. 

You’ve got cap space, you’ve got assets. Use them. Let’s see some real improvement and roster building for the first time in forever. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Thorny said:

That's still a ridiculously unproven top 6 centre spine. Would be a roller coaster to see if we get the improvement next season we want with that group. What are the expectations? 

The top 6 centres listed there right now represent a total of 19 points scored this season so far

Mittelstadt injury bums me out - would be tough to see that as a roster that could fight for the playoffs unless Casey comes back strong this year and really shows something in a substantial sample size 

It is, but that's the model they are going with here. I would be very surprised if they suddenly added veteran leadership to the mix. They've decided to go full on youth and wait until they get there. Like it or not. 

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It is, but that's the model they are going with here. I would be very surprised if they suddenly added veteran leadership to the mix. They've decided to go full on youth and wait until they get there. Like it or not. 

Agree it looks like the approach. Just pointing out that the F ranks are only “full” and in no need of outside upgrade, when viewed through the prism of it being necessary to adhere to Adams’ plan. The ranks aren’t literally filled with NHL appropriate talent, unless the goal is to pace for the 60 something points we are (plus any development from the younger players, + infusion of rookies for JAGS). 

That may indeed prove to be the correct strategy, and everyone’s mileage will vary on how much improvement one thinks the rookie insertion will yield, of course. Just saying, the unit hasn’t yet proven itself close to being in a spot where there’s “no room” for additions. Or proven that to be any kind of sure prediction.

When comparing against other teams, there is plenty of space for improvement - do agree the org sees it coming almost entirely from within. 

At least one exception I hope is made, is at G

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

I look at forward next year as, which 2 JAGS are gone so 2 of the 3 (Krebs, JJ, and Quinn) can fill spots? I think JJ has a chance to stay down in Rochester to start the year next year. Quinn also has that chance because he needs to get stronger for the NHL game. 

Edited by LGR4GM

On 12/14/2021 at 7:32 AM, thewookie1 said:

I’m just expecting Okposo to slow down at some point. Otherwise I know he has chemistry with Girgs. But I wouldn’t doubt he’d get time on other lines.

I'm not so sure.  He's been driven to prove his worth since coming back from his neuro ICU stint in 2017.  But we've got him for only one more year and I don't think he will play beyond that.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him folded into the Sabres' player development and coaching machine though.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.