Robin Lehner trashes Sabres Medical Staff

matter2003

On 8/11/2021 at 10:29 PM, 7+6=13 said:

Looks like Robin's mental issues have returned. 

On 8/11/2021 at 11:55 PM, Buffalonill said:

Stay class?  number one thing About treating alcoholism is forgiveness which he hasn't accepted he's filled with Anger he  Can fool everyone else but not me I know hes still drinking.

And I'm not going to let some guy continue to trash our organization when he knew he was not right yet  He continues to blame everyone but himself

21 hours ago, MISabresFan said:

Explains why he couldnt overcome his mental health and substance abuse while with the Sabres until he moved on.

It never fails to amaze me how little people know about mental health, particularly mood disorders like manic depression (also known as bipolar disorder).

If people did some research, they'd know that people with the illness commonly self medicate through excessive drinking and drug use.  They'd also know that a chemical imbalance of certain neurotransmitters is the issue, and until diagnosis and treatment are determined, these people live in their own circle of hell.  That, people with this illness act out and can experience mood episodes that make no sense.  Sometimes they have unlimited energy and make bad decisions...or are hopelessly depressed for no apparent reason.   

And anyone who has first-hand experience with these and other mental health issues would know have more sympathy for people. 

I don't care about Lehner or his time in Buffalo anymore.  But anyone who attacks someone that's been diagnosed with this horrible illness is clueless and doesn't know what the heck they're talking about. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HoosierDaddy said:

Everything he says is probably true, but why is he talking about this now? I think we know why, and that’s why i argue that KA’s biggest mistake is not controlling the narrative better. Thanks to Jack and his agent, the Sabres are getting a reputation amongst NHL players as a place where you don’t get treatment for injuries. This just adds to that narrative, and it’s a naked attempt to force KA to take whatever table scraps that he can get. But the side effects could be catastrophic to our rebuilding efforts. The danger is becoming the NHL version of the Sacramento Kings, a team that can never finish rebuilds because no free agents will go there. 

I'm not sure what that even means. Adams can't control what is said outside of the organization. His last statement on the situation was the truth: the Sabres are in control. Jack's agents have been on the offensive since, getting help from media and former teammates of Jack.

As for our reputation, it's is what it is and likely can't go any lower, which is why Adams is stressing he wants players who want to be here. That mostly means draft picks and low end free agents. It's Granato's job to get these kids and rejects to play like a team and win a few games.

Hopefully once we start winning no one will remember or care about the dark ages. The Bills are a perfect example of a franchise that went from radioactive to elite in 4 years.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Hoss said:

If there weren’t a similar pattern of comments coming out within the last few months from other players (and their agents) then I would agree but that’d require me to ignore the fact that it is indeed happening. There is a stench and it didn’t come and go because we fired a guy who may or may not have been suggested by someone who never even worked for the organization (and, in fact, turned the organization down in favor of the team just a short drive north).

There isn’t much criticism for this team that isn’t warranted and I don’t believe the organization has earned anyone’s energy spent in defense of it.

All that said, go Sabres. May we someday bleed blue and gold again (ideally with a competent medical staff on hand to inform us on the proper handling of such a disorder).

Other than Eichel, what pattern?

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm not sure what that even means. Adams can't control what is said outside of the organization. His last statement on the situation was the truth: the Sabres are in control. Jack's agents have been on the offensive since, getting help from media and former teammates of Jack.

As for our reputation, it's is what it is and likely can't go any lower, which is why Adams is stressing he wants players who want to be here. That mostly means draft picks and low end free agents. It's Granato's job to get these kids and rejects to play like a team and win a few games.

Hopefully once we start winning no one will remember or care about the dark ages. The Bills are a perfect example of a franchise that went from radioactive to elite in 4 years.

Well said.  McDermott and Beane surely did not care about the past.  They gutted the team of players that did not fit, created cap space,  and they moved forward and found players that did fit their vision and they shared the vision with the players and they repeated it over and over.  

There was a lot of eye rolling on the TBD forum when McD got here and stressed “the process”,  earning the right to win, the growth mindset, etc.   Once they started winning Buffalo became a more attractive place to free agents.  They actually started drafting and developing their own players and now these players also want to stay.  

The NHL timeline is longer, but it’s not ten years.  Ownership needs to stick with KA and Granato and give them time.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Well said.  McDermott and Beane surely did not care about the past.  They gutted the team of players that did not fit, created cap space,  and they moved forward and found players that did fit their vision and they shared the vision with the players and they repeated it over and over.  

There was a lot of eye rolling on the TBD forum when McD got here and stressed “the process”,  earning the right to win, the growth mindset, etc.   Once they started winning Buffalo became a more attractive place to free agents.  They actually started drafting and developing their own players and now these players also want to stay.  

The NHL timeline is longer, but it’s not ten years.  Ownership needs to stick with KA and Granato and give them time.  

I of course know all this, and hopefully the moment that we're in right now as Sabres fans is similar to the "they traded Marcel Darius and Sammy Watkins for nothing-these guys don't know what they're doing" phase of fan anger in a rebuild. But as you say, we have to give KA and DG at least three more years to show upward trajectory because building a hockey team is a different animal. There is no equivalent of a franchise QB to immediately turn around a team and act as a magnet to attract players. Also, low round draft picks rarely contribute and even high draft picks don't always hit and if they do they have to develop over years because they are drafted so young. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Been listening to The Instigators for 2 days waiting for a reaction to the Lehner comment on the Sabres medical. Crickets. Only just now did Marty Biron make a vague reference in passing. It's a good show but I forget it's still state media.

Update: Marty is vouching for the Sabres PTs Lehner threw under the bus. Now they are finally discussing it.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

34 minutes ago, HoosierDaddy said:

I of course know all this, and hopefully the moment that we're in right now as Sabres fans is similar to the "they traded Marcel Darius and Sammy Watkins for nothing-these guys don't know what they're doing" phase of fan anger in a rebuild. But as you say, we have to give KA and DG at least three more years to show upward trajectory because building a hockey team is a different animal. There is no equivalent of a franchise QB to immediately turn around a team and act as a magnet to attract players. Also, low round draft picks rarely contribute and even high draft picks don't always hit and if they do they have to develop over years because they are drafted so young. 

Closest thing would be a goalie who steals games even when they are badly out played/out shot but the other team just can't score. Kinda like when Hasek was here many times.

35 minutes ago, HoosierDaddy said:

They need time but they also have to be the right combination. Giving time to people who can't work together properly or who aren't good at their jobs doesn't do much.

Edited by matter2003

One of the truths in life for everyone is that we cannot change the past.  The only thing we can do is learn from the past and implement changes to not repeat mistakes.  Businesses do this with "lessons learned exercises" and reviewing "lessons learned" are very important to not repeat mistakes and to implement improvements.  What could we have done better is the question to be asked and how can we do it better next time?

Lehner's comments are old.  They may be valid from the time period but we are only getting one side of the story.  Did the Sabres learn from the supposed mistakes and implement changes to be improved?  Perhaps and let's hope so, but I wouldn't expect the Sabres management come out and respond to Lehner's comments from an event in 2017-18.  The Eichel scenario will get played out and we will need to wait to see if he gets surgery and how he recovers with whatever team he ends up with.

Time to move forward.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SabresVet said:

It never fails to amaze me how little people know about mental health, particularly mood disorders like manic depression (also known as bipolar disorder).

If people did some research, they'd know that people with the illness commonly self medicate through excessive drinking and drug use.  They'd also know that a chemical imbalance of certain neurotransmitters is the issue, and until diagnosis and treatment are determined, these people live in their own circle of hell.  That, people with this illness act out and can experience mood episodes that make no sense.  Sometimes they have unlimited energy and make bad decisions...or are hopelessly depressed for no apparent reason.   

And anyone who has first-hand experience with these and other mental health issues would know have more sympathy for people. 

I don't care about Lehner or his time in Buffalo anymore.  But anyone who attacks someone that's been diagnosed with this horrible illness is clueless and doesn't know what the heck they're talking about. 

As one who suffers from multiple psychiatric disorders, I can't praise this enough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SabresVet said:

One of the stronger, more important posts I’ve seen on this here website.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SabresVet said:

There's a 12 year old that lives across the street from us with serious mental issues.  Our hearts go out to him but if he starts throwing rocks at my house, he'll see another type of reaction. 

11 hours ago, SabresVet said:

This one of the most solid posts I have ever seen on here. Thank you. 

51 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

There's a 12 year old that lives across the street from us with serious mental issues.  Our hearts go out to him but if he starts throwing rocks at my house, he'll see another type of reaction. 

You are an example of someone who doesn’t understand mental illness, and that’s okay, because not many do. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

This one of the most solid posts I have ever seen on here. Thank you. 

You are an example of someone who doesn’t understand mental illness, and that’s okay, because not many do. 

I'm certainly no expert and that's ok.  I do know that while it's a reason for compassion it's not a license to say and do what you want without negative reactions. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 7+6=13 said:

I'm certainly no expert and that's ok.  I do know that while it's a reason for compassion it's not a license to say and do what you want without negative reactions. 

That’s the whole thing with a mental illness. People who are mentally ill do not understand the consequences of what they are saying or doing. My daughters mother left her in the middle of a Walmart parking lot when she was 4 months old. 4 years later, she still doesn’t grasp the concept of what she did. In her mind, it never even happened, despite the police and paramedics showing up. 

If mentally ill people understood what they were saying and doing, then they would be just like you and me, and not mentally ill. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

That’s the whole thing with a mental illness. People who are mentally ill do not understand the consequences of what they are saying or doing. My daughters mother left her in the middle of a Walmart parking lot when she was 4 months old. 4 years later, she still doesn’t grasp the concept of what she did. 

If they did, then they would be just like you and me, and not mentally ill. 

There's no possible way you could know that's the state Lehner is in.  How could you know he did this interview in some black out state having no concept of harm?  You don't think it's possible he's just acting like a retaliatory jerk?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

There's no possible way you could know that's the state Lehner is in.  How could you know he did this interview in some black out state having no concept of harm?  You don't think it's possible he's just acting like a retaliatory jerk?

What does that have to do with the 12 year old across the street who you will beat up for throwing rocks at your house?

Sadly, I see people use mental illness as an excuse to be an @ss,and I see it all the damn time in the hospital. 

I spent time in the desert in my youth, I have had many dark days myself especially after I left for civilian life. Mental illness is real, and It affects everyone differently, but I know a ton of people that have similar issues as Robin that don't/didn't act like he did. 

Conversely, I know a few that basically don't have a liver left due to self medicating. What's missing is that those people never gave much of a glimmer that they were in need until it was nearly too late, something tells me that the medical staff of a sports team that is mainly focused on the physical health of 30+ men, probably isn't delving into the mental health issue unless something is brought up about it, either by the individual or a teamate. 

It's possible he has some issues and can be a jerk at the same time lol 

• Like (+1) 4

On 8/13/2021 at 7:31 PM, 7+6=13 said:

Certainly everyone is accountable for their actions.   Normally if there is mutual respect and he and his family view you as a friend your house will likely be safe from any vandalism.  

When I was a  12 thru 14 year kid I did some very stupid things like throwing rocks, snowballs, fighting and such.  I went through an aggressive and stupid stage during that age with no excuses.  Thankfully it ended with adolescent maturity. 

For for this young lad he is dealing with much more than the typical growing pains of adolescence.  

Edited by Pimlach

17 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I think it would be fair to say you might have a mental illness if you want to hurt kids for throwing rocks at your house. Especially only hypothetically. 
🤷‍♂️

Hurt?  That's just obnoxious of you to say.

On 8/12/2021 at 7:30 PM, dudacek said:

Lehner's time in Buffalo was spent as an addict and a risk to himself and others, on a bad team, with a bad coach and one of the loosest, least-disciplined, least-sensitive managers in recent memory.

He lost a lot, often letting in a late goal to lose 3-2 in a game where he faced 40 shots, and he was embarrassingly bad in shootouts.

Can't speak for Buffalo in general, but on here he was the most-pilloried Sabre of the past 10 years.

Of course he has bad memories of Buffalo.

Well, Leino, but we saw what he thought, too. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.