Assuming No Deal, Do You Expect Jack To Show Up To Camp?

bob_sauve28

He's not getting traded until he is healthy and playing.  He knows this, the Sabres know this and so does every team in the NHL.  The only question is how do we get him healthy and back on the ice.  Jack says experimental procedure and the Sabres and their insurance policy say traditional fusion surgery. 

I have no idea but if DG let’s him keep the C (if he does come back and is playing) then he is either not the coach I think he is, or the Pegula’s really do run the show. Don’t want to hear about stripping it impacting his trade value either, the whole league knows he’s not a leader. He’s a highly skilled PPG 1C. 

• Like (+1) 2

Pretty sure that Jack is physically unable to perform.

Also pretty sure that Kevyn Adams has moved on from Jack and would rather he not be a distraction.

Jack will do whatever's required of him by his contract (not that it matters, but people probably don't remember he said as much on locker room cleanout day) but he will almost certainly be put on IR and asked to stay away.

Separately, we are fast approaching the point where Adams will have to change tactics and wait until Jack is healthy to make the trade.

He has a player who needs a medical procedure in order to play. Both sides have agreed to put that off until a trade can be made, but since he hasn't made the trade he will have to make a decision. Jack won't let him put it off indefinitely.

He either agrees to Jack's chosen surgery, or it goes to arbitration.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Interesting opinions on this topic. I'm sure we're going to get on the forum what I have in real life, and by that I mean contradicting opinions all over the place.

I've heard from just as many people that he will show up and play because he has to prove he can play with the Sabre before he's traded... And the exact opposite opinion I've heard, where they will do whatever they can to keep him away from this team and he'll never play for the Sabres again. Both points have logic to back them up.

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Pretty sure that Jack is physically unable to perform.

Also pretty sure that Kevyn Adams has moved on from Jack and would rather he not be a distraction.

Jack will do whatever's required of him by his contract (not that it matters, but people probably don't remember he said as much on locker room cleanout day) but he will almost certainly be put on IR and asked to stay away.

Separately, we are fast approaching the point where Adams will have to change tactics and wait until Jack is healthy to make the trade.

He has a player who needs a medical procedure in order to play. Both sides have agreed to put that off until a trade can be made, but since he hasn't made the trade he will have to make a decision. Jack won't let him put it off indefinitely.

He either agrees to Jack's chosen surgery, or it goes to arbitration.

Yes, something has to give. I really think holding him, gettin* him in the lineup and showcasing him adds to his value. But there is risk there too. He can decline a trade next year, right? 

I wouldn’t be surprised if he just plays the next five years here. This situation is so messed up 

John will not show up for camp per se, but will have to report to the team on veteran reporting day.  He will, I assume, not be able to play, so he will go on injury reserve and will not be at camp, or team meetings ...

I think we are past the time for a trade before surgery, or whatever treatment is going to happen, so something will have to give very soon, or John will lose the season.

9 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

John will not show up for camp per se, but will have to report to the team on veteran reporting day.  He will, I assume, not be able to play, so he will go on injury reserve and will not be at camp, or team meetings ...

I think we are past the time for a trade before surgery, or whatever treatment is going to happen, so something will have to give very soon, or John will lose the season.

He goes by Jack, not John

Just now, nucci said:

He goes by Jack, not John

Yeah.  

So, I am in a formal relationship with the dude, so I am using his given name.  Some others around here are, or were, too.

1 minute ago, Standing Room Smoking Cigs said:

Yes and he's bringing Sigmund too

amazon-remakes-sigmund-and-the-sea-monsters.jpg

Welcome!!

Sent you a beer.

What in blazes is that thing with John?

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He's not getting traded until he is healthy and playing.  He knows this, the Sabres know this and so does every team in the NHL.  The only question is how do we get him healthy and back on the ice.  Jack says experimental procedure and the Sabres and their insurance policy say traditional fusion surgery. 

At this point they don't care.  Let the new team deal with your surgery.  

5 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

At this point they don't care.  Let the new team deal with your surgery.  

They care if they want more then a bucket of pucks and a grilled cheese sandwich for him.  Think about how badly we get taken on the ROR trade when Terry forced Jbot to trade him so we didn't have to pay the bonus.  We are in a nearly identical situation.  Top player on a long-term deal wants out.  Team wants him gone so that they aren't responsible for something (surgery or bonus).  The ROR deal proved that you can't get top $ in this situation.  The only way to maximize the return is to work out the insurance issue, let him have the surgery he wants, get him healthy and back on the ice for the Sabres.  

The way you work out the insurance issue is get the contract insurance company to approve the "experimental" surgery.  Hard obviously, but not impossible.  It's not like the surgery is brand new.  Likely take some additional premium which Jack or his agent should pay.

Recall that the Sabres doctors prescribed rest and rehab up to June, then reevaluate.  

What if rest and rehab up to October/ November or any other month actually works and he can play?  Is this even possible?  I don’t know much about the medical condition.  

Edited by Pimlach

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Recall that the Sabres doctors prescribed rest and rehab to up June, then reevaluate.  

What if rest and rehab up October/ November or any other month actually works and he can play?  Is this even possible?  I don’t know much about the medical condition.  

I guarantee he could play right now.  He's playing this card to try and get out.

4 hours ago, Drag0nDan said:

I guarantee he could play right now.  He's playing this card to try and get out.

If true then he is only hurting himself.  

He is not “out” yet because of the immense concern he generated by his insistence for the unapproved surgery.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.