Can the Sabres Franchise Survive Another Tank/Rebuild?

GASabresIUFAN

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sadly, all the kids could thrive and they won't achieve that result with the goalies KA saddled the kids with.  It's really a shame.  We have the makings of an up and coming team, the the goalie failure literally pulled the rug out of from under the rebuild.  No matter how well the kids go, the goalies will allow 4 goals a night.  No team, no matter how talented, can overcome such poor goaltending and that is what KA has done.  Right now this roster will be lucky to get to 20 wins next year.

Sadly I agree on the goalie situation.  I can talk myself into being somewhat optimistic (might be something in that Kool-Aid) with seeing how the forwards and defense come together and play but I cannot see anything positive about the goal situation.  Anderson, sure he's okay for a mentor but he can't carry the load.  Dell?  Tokarski?  

1 minute ago, Digger said:

Sadly I agree on the goalie situation.  I can talk myself into being somewhat optimistic (might be something in that Kool-Aid) with seeing how the forwards and defense come together and play but I cannot see anything positive about the goal situation.  Anderson, sure he's okay for a mentor but he can't carry the load.  Dell?  Tokarski?  

I don't think it's kool-aid at all with the young forwards.  If you looks at the numbers, Asplund, Mitts, Tage, R2 all played well and added solid offense under DG.  Also Jokiharju and Dahlin also looked significantly better.  There is reason for optimism.  Sadly without proper support, none of it works.  That kids can't play an upbeat offensive game is the D pairs are constantly hemmed in our zone and the goaltenders can't be relied on to make a big save.  

22 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

too bad , you missed some fun hockey the last few months of last season 

They were 3-7 in their final 10 and were -15 in goal differential.  Not sure that should be considered "fun."

4 hours ago, jsb said:

In my opinion a big part of the problem in the Sabres Front Office is the lack of continuity. You can't keep hiring and firing every 2 years. I'm going to give this organization Adams, Karmanos and Nightingale 3 years to turn this around. Their 1st step is to tear down and retool. 2nd step is to develop the young guys on the team and their draft choices plus some coherent playing style. Step 3 is results. You can't jump over to step 3 without first getting steps 1 & 2 done first. Personally I think Adams has made good choices with his hires so far and I think he's smart enough not to F bomb Mrs. Pegula and tell her husband he's not going to follow his instructions in cutting back the budget without being business like about it.

This same retort showed up for years with the Bills when they had 5 GMs from 2001-2016 and all of them were connected to the Ralph Wilson owner years.  

When ownership doesn't know what they're doing and/or interferes regularly, you more often than not get bad hires.  Not surprisingly, the strategy revolves around catching lightning in a bottle with someone.  Regardless of what the homers believe, Adams is the "we knew him" hire who has to prove himself.  Same goes for Granato.    

2021-22 is effectively year 0 of the rebuild...tear down, move out players they don't like, and generally lose on the ice.  2022-23 is gonna be where you need to see results and, given the "win now" mentality in pro sports, some wins and competing for a playoff spot.  If they're bottom 8 in the standings in 2022-23, this rebuild is not looking good. 

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't think it's kool-aid at all with the young forwards.  If you looks at the numbers, Asplund, Mitts, Tage, R2 all played well and added solid offense under DG.  Also Jokiharju and Dahlin also looked significantly better.  There is reason for optimism.  Sadly without proper support, none of it works.  That kids can't play an upbeat offensive game is the D pairs are constantly hemmed in our zone and the goaltenders can't be relied on to make a big save.  

Don't get me wrong.  I am optimistic about the young players we have and I hope they can stand up to the pressure that will be applied this year.  I absolutely agree that that they need the proper support.

Over the past two seasons I talked myself into thinking that we would be okay with Hutton as the backup to Ullmark.  He clearly wasn't good enough even though he played a couple of good games each season.  And the sad situation is that Hutton may be better than what we have right now. 

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

For sure this will be the worst team in Sabres history. With the division they are in, maybe 4 years they will be close to 8th. If they get #1 overall pick next year, that could drop to 2 years depending on the return from Jack.

Of all people, I'm going to try and counter this much pessimism. Actually, I'm naively optimistic every October. November, not so much, usually. Because — sports is, and should be, crazy and unpredictable*. "The surprising Buffalo Sabres" might just show up one of these years and stick around to an unlikely playoff berth. It's possible if the stance of the organization allows it. I hear promising things from Granato about trying to win. Where KA and ownership are, who knows.

*72-73 was unexpected; so was 79-80 to some extent; 96-97; 05-06; and maybe a few other seasons.

Teams often don't follow a prescribed timeline.

There. Hope.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Of all people, I'm going to try and counter this much pessimism. Actually, I'm naively optimistic every October. November, not so much, usually. Because — sports is, and should be, crazy and unpredictable*. "The surprising Buffalo Sabres" might just show up one of these years and stick around to an unlikely playoff berth. It's possible if the stance of the organization allows it. I hear promising things from Granato about trying to win. Where KA and ownership are, who knows.

*72-73 was unexpected; so was 79-80 to some extent; 96-97; 05-06; and maybe a few other seasons.

Teams often don't follow a prescribed timeline.

There. Hope.

In all the off-seasons before the years you mentioned, the Sabres made key moves which helped and also got some luck.  Let us hope something like that happens soon.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

With all the talk of goaltending, what is up with Mike Bales?  Surely he had some input into whom the Sabres signed.

My fear is that they believe because they have Bales they can resurrect a Dell or make UPL into Murray.  Can hear 'em in the backroom "We've got the goalie whisperer, don't matter what dreck we hand him."

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

With all the talk of goaltending, what is up with Mike Bales?  Surely he had some input into whom the Sabres signed.

Yes. The plan is probably a savvy vet in Craig mentoring UPL, and in case UPL is completely not ready, there’s a smattering of experienced veteran goalies behind him (Dell, Toker, House).

It is somewhat in line with what the team is doing with the forwards and D, so it makes sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

In all the off-seasons before the years you mentioned, the Sabres made key moves which helped and also got some luck.  Let us hope something like that happens soon.

Something like what? Having a surprising season? Or making key moves? If the latter, maybe the key moves have been made but we don't know it yet.

I'll return to my special pills now.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Something like what? Having a surprising season? Or making key moves? If the latter, maybe the key moves have been made but we don't know it yet.

I'll return to my special pills now.

Key moves.  You are correct: we will see.

On 8/11/2021 at 12:15 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Is there a particular goalie you had in mind that is waiting for a call from Kev?

No way, no how does Kevyn Adams get the "who could he have even brought in?!!!" defense for goalies 2 years running

Botterill 2C deja vu

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.