Goaltending this season and Beyond

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Good hockey talk here boys.

IMHO, if they don’t bring in another goalie who is more credible than the current group, they are clearly tanking, which I will not be OK with.  

Yes.  Vogl reported this. 

How can you say our 5 goalies lack credibility?  In their 32 (25 starts) games in they NHL last season they combined for a 3.54 with a .90 save % and a record of 8-19-2.  That is a 51 pt pace for a full season.  Of goalies with 25 or more games last season that save % would have been 27th in the NHL and the GAA 32nd.  Not credible.  How can you say such a thing.  

On 8/6/2021 at 10:34 AM, LabattBlue said:

If the plan was to sign Ullmark, then I refuse to believe this is Plan B. 

If?  I don't think they really made much of an effort to sign him, or cared if he walked.  This isn't Plan B, this is Plan A.  It's a rebuilding year.  I disagree that the way to learn how to win is having a very good goalie clean up their mistakes.  Let the team clean up their mistakes and learn how to play in front of weak goaltending, then upgrade the goalie and suddenly you're scary good.

On 8/6/2021 at 2:00 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

KA clearly didn't have a plan B and it cost us dearly so far.

Incorrect.  It hasn't cost us anything yet.

37 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

If?  I don't think they really made much of an effort to sign him, or cared if he walked.  This isn't Plan B, this is Plan A.  It's a rebuilding year.  I disagree that the way to learn how to win is having a very good goalie clean up their mistakes.  Let the team clean up their mistakes and learn how to play in front of weak goaltending, then upgrade the goalie and suddenly you're scary good.

Incorrect.  It hasn't cost us anything yet.

This is blatantly revisionist history.

They refused to flip him at the deadline for an asset and were negotiating with him right up until free agency arrived.

They wanted him back and acted like they expected him back, but they drew a line in the sand on term, refused to cross it and it cost them.

You’re telling me Plan A was effectively pulling a guy out of retirement and signing the man who was statistically the worst goalie in the NHL last year?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

They need to bring in an NHL goalie.  Period. End of story.  The situation in goal concerning unless UPL comes of age this season.  

I don't think UPL will be ready for even back up duty in the NHL for at least another season.

I also wonder if KA made an offer to another scrap heap goalie Devyn Dubnyk?  He's got to be better then Tokarski or Dell.

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

This is blatantly revisionist history.

They refused to flip him at the deadline for an asset and were negotiating with him right up until free agency arrived.

They wanted him back and acted like they expected him back, but they drew a line in the sand on term, refused to cross it and it cost them.

You’re telling me Plan A was effectively pulling a guy out of retirement and signing the man who was statistically the worst goalie in the NHL last year?

Adams' "Plan Bs" for the goaltending have been, to put it most accurately: disastrous since taking over as GM

HIs "Plan A" of Ullmark let him down both seasons, and both seasons he failed to reasonably account for that possibility in plan A

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

You are not going to get more than 25 games out if Anderson. None of the other young guys are ready yet. Me thinks they are going to have to work a trade. Mindboggling we are in this situation. 

I would not be surprised if Anderson does play more than 25 games.  I know, he only played a few last season, but before that he played at least 31 games 11 of the previous 12 years.

Previous 6 seasons GP: 4, 34, 50, 58, 40, 60

And unless something changes, the Sabres might not have a better option, so he probably will play.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

You are not going to get more than 25 games out if Anderson. None of the other young guys are ready yet. Me thinks they are going to have to work a trade. Mindboggling we are in this situation. 

Figure a goalie has to be part of the return for Eichel, right?

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Figure a goalie has to be part of the return for Eichel, right?

Probably not, but a trade with someone like Dallas for Bishop ( 2 years left at 4.9) after Eichel is traded in order to keep us cap compliant.  

I can see us trade Eichel for futures and then acquire Henrique (3 years at 5.825) and Bishop (4.9) to replace his cap hit.  It should be noted that Dallas likely has to dump some salary to get cap compliant on the top end, while Anaheim doesn't need to make a deal (and may not want to) because they are barely over the cap floor.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

The hard reality is we are about to field possibly one of the worst NHL rosters of all time. And the chances of getting Wright and winning the lotto twice in a row is slim.  But at least we will get one of the top 3, who any one of them would of went number one overall this year.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The hard reality is we are about to field possibly one of the worst NHL rosters of all time. And the chances of getting Wright and winning the lotto twice in a row is slim.  But at least we will get one of the top 3, who any one of them would of went number one overall this year.

We had an 18 game losing streak last year. Does it really matter if our roster is worse for year now?

Adams needs to bring in another goalie, but I don't think he will. 

26 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We had an 18 game losing streak last year. Does it really matter if our roster is worse for year now?

Adams needs to bring in another goalie, but I don't think he will. 

I think he is under the delusion that UPL is ready or nearly so.  His numbers say otherwise.

He’ll bring in someone for the ECHL if they have a season.  

30 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think he is under the delusion that UPL is ready or nearly so.  His numbers say otherwise.

He’ll bring in someone for the ECHL if they have a season.  

I don't think he thinks that at all. You don't try to sign Ullmark if you think UPL is ready or nearly ready. 

12 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Worst roster? The roster isn’t bad at all. 

I think your opinion will be majority opinion soon. The goaltending is terrible but the rest of the team is good, not great, But when the losing starts everyone will blame the skaters, the coach, Dahlin, whatever. 

Having bad goaltending is like having a terrible quarterback in football, but people don’t look at it that way because QBs are flashy and make all sorts of big plays, while a good goaltender makes the saves he suppose to (boring) and a few spectacular saves. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.