Sabres Identity: Hardworking, Relentless with Speed.

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

It sounds nice. 

Now show me, lip service time has passed. 

Agreed. 

Novikov, the defender from the 6th round of the draft fits this as well and I find him extremely intriguing going forward. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Agreed. 

Novikov, the defender from the 6th round of the draft fits this as well and I find him extremely intriguing going forward. 

They're filling the pipeline with those players, but that does next to nothing for this season and probably next as well. Typically this is all and good with a rebuild/retool; but the risk of alienating the fan base is very high with this method after a decade of futility. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

They're filling the pipeline with those players, but that does next to nothing for this season and probably next as well. Typically this is all and good with a rebuild/retool; but the risk of alienating the fan base is very high with this method after a decade of futility. 

Anyone whos alienated already is. Do this rebuild right so we aren't discussing trading Dahlin in 4 years.

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 8

21 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Since November 12th 2011, the Sabres have truly lacked any type of real identity. Both in who they project themselves to be and who they are on the ice. Many of us have complained for years that this team lacked heart. It appears that there is an identity that at least management has in mind. We have heard this elsewhere and we can make jokes about "players wanting to be here" but there is a clear focus after this draft and how they have approached UFA. They are focusing on hard work, relentless attacking with speed. Now a lot of teams want these qualities but I will be curious to see if the Sabres follow through and acquire players that personify this. Their draft gives us some what of an indication that they do indeed have a player type. Peterka, Quinn, Poltapov, Rosen, and even Kisakov are all fast players who have notable work ethics on the ice. 

Anyways it is summer and I found this quote interesting from Hinostroza since he spoke with Granato so long and this was the take away. 

Pretty much what Granato was shooting for last year. When you have youth, you might lack talent and experience but you do have endurance and speed. Put it to use by pressuring your opponent non-stop. They'll get burned but they'll also get plenty of scoring chances.

17 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

It sounds nice. 

Now show me, lip service time has passed. 

Watch the last 20 games.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Good thread.  Thanks for starting this one.

Yes I have always wanted the Sabres to be a hardworking team.  Fast and quick on the puck is great to watch and as we continue to add skill to the lineup in the next few seasons it will be fun to see them develop.  One thing I noticed in games with Granato coaching last year was that players were taking that extra step to finish a check or to try and get the puck moved ahead or back.  It was wonderful to see after the extremely poor efforts by many of the veterans during the long losing streak.  I just remember being impressed by such a simple change in effort by the players.

• Like (+1) 2

To add onto this, I will say that “wanting to be here“ aren’t just words from Adams. I think him and Granato are going to succeed in making the environment relatively attractive for players. I don’t know if the wins will come, but it won’t be a toxic place.

• Like (+1) 5

12 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

That was clear if you paid attention to what Granato did with them the last month or so of last season. 

It was soooooooo frustrating under Krueger watching the team never forecheck and also in the defensive zone sit back passively and never pressure the puck carrier allowing them time to get set up and make a pass

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Mustache of God said:

It was soooooooo frustrating under Krueger watching the team never forecheck and also in the defensive zone sit back passively and never pressure the puck carrier allowing them time to get set up and make a pass

It was the worst brand of hockey I’ve ever watched.  Ralph was stuck in 80s-90s playing style. 

• Like (+1) 3

Did “the process” get trademarked?  Can Sean allow for Granato to start using it?  We went through years of people arguing against it for the Bills and it’s clear who won out. Some say it took some luck along the way, but they drafted “off the board” based on their own criteria and it no longer looks like luck anymore. 

I think KA’s comments about staying true to the plan and not letting emotions taking over the decisions is how we can translate lip service into reality. Every team says culture matters, but then goes out and ignores it decision after decision.  I’d give it time before saying it’s not working yet. 

3 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I literally couldn’t watch it. I’d fall asleep in ten minutes each game. It was baaaad

• Like (+1) 1

The first thing I think of when they want this kind of hockey is lack of skill.  A team doesn't need the most skilled players to be competitive in this set up. Not saying their not wanting skill with it, but a bunch of Matt Ellis hockey players on your team is what I am picturing for the next year or two. It will get them competing on a nightly basis and have a good work ethic environment.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, triumph_communes said:

Did “the process” get trademarked?  Can Sean allow for Granato to start using it?  We went through years of people arguing against it for the Bills and it’s clear who won out. Some say it took some luck along the way, but they drafted “off the board” based on their own criteria and it no longer looks like luck anymore. 

I think KA’s comments about staying true to the plan and not letting emotions taking over the decisions is how we can translate lip service into reality. Every team says culture matters, but then goes out and ignores it decision after decision.  I’d give it time before saying it’s not working yet. 

I think a key part of the culture change of the Bills is Sean McDermott's relentless drive and enthusiasm. Everybody laughs at him about the clapping, but he's all-in all the time. I seem to remember that he took the pool table out of the Bills locker room. That pool table was a symptom that the Bills were a place that players came to go though the motions and collect a pay check. Now the Bills are a place where players come to win football games. The Sabres need that same type of change.  

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It's great to say, but until it's on the ice every night it's just a slogan.  

We also need to be physically tougher.  We need to wear down opponents and our current lineup is far from having that ability yet.

I agree, talk is cheap. While there was a noticeable style of play after Granato took over, I think some of that is attributable to the absence of Krueger, we'll see how they can run with the new system over the course of an entire season opposed to a 20 game sample size.

If the Sabres put up another 18 game losing streak, do you think Granato gets canned?

1 minute ago, Mustache of God said:

I agree, talk is cheap. While there was a noticeable style of play after Granato took over, I think some of that is attributable to the absence of Krueger, we'll see how they can run with the new system over the course of an entire season opposed to a 20 game sample size.

If the Sabres put up another 18 game losing streak, do you think Granato gets canned?

He should

2 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

The first thing I think of when they want this kind of hockey is lack of skill.  A team doesn't need the most skilled players to be competitive in this set up. Not saying their not wanting skill with it, but a bunch of Matt Ellis hockey players on your team is what I am picturing for the next year or two. It will get them competing on a nightly basis and have a good work ethic environment.

You need solid goaltending to support this kind of hockey to mask over the skill deficit. 

We don't have solid goaltending and it's going to be ugly this year.

• Like (+1) 3

Let’s be honest with ourselves, KA has set up everyone to fail this coming season.  He has 5 goalies who played about 20 games in the NHL total last season.  We have no proven in zone defensemen and two, Miller and Butcher are liabilities.  We also don’t have any proven scorers besides VO and Skinner and Skinner hasn’t been effective in two seasons.  All his FAs were basically medium aged vets just looking for an opportunity to stay in the NHL.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Really does feel like the Sabres are setting out to build a team like the Bills did. Identify guys with high motors and work ethics that love the sport and want to play here. I don't hate it.

It’s the right identity for this market.

And as much as the goalie and centre situations are troubling, this aspect of Adams rebuild seems both necessary and more than just lip service.

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I can’t see the fan base getting more alienated.

Going from passive, entitled losers, to high-energy lovable losers is a step in the right direction.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1