Rochester Americans 2021-2022

Brawndo

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

My eye test says that Hughes is more of a riverboat gambler and currently gets more points than Dahlin. However, he is kind of wimpy defensively. He reminds me of Housley.

The physicality that Dahlin has added (hits, boxing out, shielding the puck and not taking any s**t) is a huge element of a Dman’s game that I want to see. 

Hughes may win a Norris in the near future by out scoring Makar, Fox, Josi and Hedman but I’ll take Dahlin’s game since the all star game, every day.

I too would take Rasmus going forward, but he didn’t display those skills that differentiate him until February of this year.  You could argue Dahlin’s defensive lapses in his second and third years left him behind Hughes in comparison.  Demonstrated in Hughes contract extension vs Rasmus’ bridge deal. I don’t consider the comment that outrageous at all.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

I too would take Rasmus going forward, but he didn’t display those skills that differentiate him until February of this year.  You could argue Dahlin’s defensive lapses in his second and third years left him behind Hughes in comparison.  Demonstrated in Hughes contract extension vs Rasmus’ bridge deal. I don’t consider the comment that outrageous at all.  

He showed them but not consistently... agree after allstar game and convo with Hedman he stepped it up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

While Dahlin may ultimately become the better player, my statement has been that it is arguable that Dahlin isn’t the best player from his draft class or even the best D in his draft class.  I think I’ve proven that Hughes is arguably the better player right now whether we as Sabres fans like it or not.  

I don’t watch much Canucks games, but what what leads you to that conclusion? And how is Hughes development environment varied from Rasmus? Just wondering how you can make a definitive conclusion at this point.  

18 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I don’t watch much Canucks games, but what what leads you to that conclusion? And how is Hughes development environment varied from Rasmus? Just wondering how you can make a definitive conclusion at this point.  

Please read earlier posts

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

While Dahlin may ultimately become the better player, my statement has been that it is arguable that Dahlin isn’t the best player from his draft class or even the best D in his draft class.  I think I’ve proven that Hughes is arguably the better player right now whether we as Sabres fans like it or not.  

I don't think using a couple advances stats anywhere comes close to proving he is the better player, even now.  Even advanced stats are impacted by teammates, the position the team is in (development vs fighting for a playoff spot as the mail goal) and what the coach is asking you to do. The position Dahlin was in for most of the year (and previous years) vs Hughes...even with advanced stats is apples to oranges.  NO WHERE close to proving it.

Just now, Taro T said:

Good.  Maybe a long run here will get them back to having nearly full games on the weekends at least next year.  Been a long time since they even did that.

Full arena is probably unlikely on a regular basis, but I’m hoping they pick up some new casual fans and season ticket holders out of this. 

My concern is that with Quinn, Peterka, Krebs in Buffalo next season, the team could be poor, and you lose an opportunity to build your fan base. There’s really nothing coming from the pipeline next year. I certainly hope they plan on being very active in AHL free agency to bridge the gap with a good,  veteran team next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Amerks8796 said:

Full arena is probably unlikely on a regular basis, but I’m hoping they pick up some new casual fans and season ticket holders out of this. 

My concern is that with Quinn, Peterka, Krebs in Buffalo next season, the team could be poor, and you lose an opportunity to build your fan base. There’s really nothing coming from the pipeline next year. I certainly hope they plan on being very active in AHL free agency to bridge the gap with a good,  veteran team next year. 

Am guessing that Ruotsalainen comes back.  Also, they'll have the Russian kid they just signed.  Bjork will likely be an AHL All Star next year as he isn't cracking the Sabres lineup & nobody'll claim him on the way down.  They'll have Subban in net.

They'll be OK again next year. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Am guessing that Ruotsalainen comes back.  Also, they'll have the Russian kid they just signed.  Bjork will likely be an AHL All Star next year as he isn't cracking the Sabres lineup & nobody'll claim him on the way down.  They'll have Subban in net.

I think they’d need a couple top 6 vets in addition to what you mentioned. I’d love Greer or Poturalski. 

Defense is probably the biggest concern. Laaksonen is really the only player under contract, and he’s bad enough that they won’t play him in the playoffs. Maybe Fitzgerald doesn’t crack Buffalo. I’d re-sign Alt, Prow, and Tischke. And sign 2 more steady vets. Subban/Houser could be the goalie tandem. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You can really see why Portillo and Johnson should have been here.

• Murray Biro Ruotsalainen Prow Schuldt
  • Mcinnis Malone Mersch Davidson Alt
  • Rousek Jankowski Weissbach Laaksonen Tischke
  • Pekar Kisakov

should be back or should be replaceable through a free agency

That's the bones of a competitive AHL team minus a goalie and a sexy prospect

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Amerks8796 said:

I think they’d need a couple top 6 vets in addition to what you mentioned. I’d love Greer or Poturalski. 

Defense is probably the biggest concern. Laaksonen is really the only player under contract, and he’s bad enough that they won’t play him in the playoffs. Maybe Fitzgerald doesn’t crack Buffalo. I’d re-sign Alt, Prow, and Tischke. And sign 2 more steady vets. Subban/Houser could be the goalie tandem. 

No doubt.  But they'll be able to bring in good career AHLers to round the roster out.

14 hours ago, inkman said:

Looks like tickets are going fast again

image.png

Are the upper levels of the end where the Amerks shoot twice even for sale?  I ask because it looks odd that all the highest seats in that end are sold, but ones below there, are not. 

Just now, LabattBlue said:

Are the upper levels of the end where the Amerks shoot twice even for sale?  I ask because it looks odd that all the highest seats in that end are sold, but ones below there, are not. 

No, they open up if they sell enough of the lower tickets. 

I have no idea if local boy Poturalski would want to play for the Amerks, but if so, bring him in on a two year one way contract for $750k.  He would provide offense to replace the loss of Quinn and Peterka. 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=144489

Edited by LabattBlue

On 5/16/2022 at 9:10 PM, dudacek said:

You can really see why Portillo and Johnson should have been here.

• Murray Biro Ruotsalainen Prow Schuldt
  • Mcinnis Malone Mersch Davidson Alt
  • Rousek Jankowski Weissbach Laaksonen Tischke
  • Pekar Kisakov

should be back or should be replaceable through a free agency

That's the bones of a competitive AHL team minus a goalie and a sexy prospect

Maybe Kisakov will pull a JJP.

One thing of note, the Amerks must skate 13 developmental players each night, which is defined as 260 games or less or pro experience including top Euro leagues. There is one exception for a player with 260 to 320 games.  

I haven’t crunched all the numbers, but some of our vets, including R2, may no longer qualify for developmental status.  That roster above looks to have only about 10 “prospects” in Murray, Biro, Schuldt, Malone, Rousek, Weissbach, Laaksonen, Pekar, Tischke and Kisakov.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.