Michael Peca joining Amerks Coaching Staff

Brawndo

47 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Could see Peca being a very good coach.  His was far from the typical physical prototype physique but he was an absolute upper echelon defensive/ 2 way C.  You have to really understand the game to do that.

yet he was a great body checker. One of the better sabres to play here

• Like (+1) 5

20 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Do other franchises constantly hire former players as coaches in their farm system? Or is it the case that he lives in the area and they don't have to find someone to uproot their life to come coach? 

I picked the first AHL team that came to mind, the Phantoms, and found this (granted, 2000-2010 era):

Stevens, the team's first captain, was soon joined by two more former Flyer players, defenseman Kjell Samuelsson and winger Don Nachbaur, to complete the new staff. In November 2003, long-time NHL tough guy and former Flyer left wing Craig Berube signed with the Phantoms to finish his 18-year professional career back in Philadelphia as a player/assistant coach. At the end of that season, he retired as a player to become a full-time assistant coach for the 2004–05 campaign, replacing Nachbaur, who had since returned to the Western Hockey League (WHL) as head coach of the Tri-City Americans.

EDIT: looked, it appears that every Phantoms head coach since 2000, other than Scott Gordon and Greg Gilbert, played for the Flyers at some point.

Edited by MattPie
Looked at coaches up to now.
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

Do other franchises constantly hire former players as coaches in their farm system? Or is it the case that he lives in the area and they don't have to find someone to uproot their life to come coach? 

No. There is no such thing as an old boys system in the NHL.

Every franchise except Buffalo makes sure they only hire people from outside the area. They know how unlikely it is to find people in their own community who are actually qualified, and how silly it is to put any stock into relationships you already have with people whose skills and fit are already known.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

It was during a WSH game this season (or the end of 2019-20?) where the camera showed Peca up in the boxes for the Caps and we lamented in-thread, "It'd be nice to have him be a player dev guy in our organization instead of the flim-flammin' Capitals".

Well, lament no further!

... at least... lament no further regarding Peca in the organization... Other topics are open to the lamentations of the 'Spacers.

• Like (+1) 1

This is the greatest news I've gotten from this team in years.  Yes I see his track as a future HC.  

I'm so hyped.  

He's my favorite Sabre of all time (him and Hasek and LaLa right there) played the game and handled himself the way I want all players to play.  Such great news!   

All in on Adams he just won a ton of goodwill from me.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

It was during a WSH game this season (or the end of 2019-20?) where the camera showed Peca up in the boxes for the Caps and we lamented in-thread, "It'd be nice to have him be a player dev guy in our organization instead of the flim-flammin' Capitals".

Well, lament no further!

... at least... lament no further regarding Peca in the organization... Other topics are open to the lamentations of the 'Spacers.

Ironic considering it was a game in Washington that permanently altered his career.  He got into a pretty violent fight with Steve Konawalchuk and tore up his shoulder  pretty bad.  Konawalchuk showed him no mercy and really beat him down while he was obviously injured.  Peca was never quite the same after that injury.

33 minutes ago, Weave said:

Ironic considering it was a game in Washington that permanently altered his career.  He got into a pretty violent fight with Steve Konawalchuk and tore up his shoulder  pretty bad.  Konawalchuk showed him no mercy and really beat him down while he was obviously injured.  Peca was never quite the same after that injury.

Quite possibly my favorite Sabre ever.  Tough as nails and generously listed at 180lbs.  He absolutely destroyed guys.  Half the hits would probably be deemed illegal now and he’d probably have to fight after every hit.  Doubt the Sabres will ever see the likes of his ilk again. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, inkman said:

Quite possibly my favorite Sabre ever.  Tough as nails and generously listed at 180lbs.  He absolutely destroyed guys.  Half the hits would probably be deemed illegal now and he’d probably have to fight after every hit.  Doubt the Sabres will ever see the likes of his ilk again. 

Casey be like :

GIF by Budweiser

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.