Pegulas New Bills Stadium Proposal a Public and Private Partnership

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

There is to much of a rich history for the NFL to 'hate' the Bills.  The fans in the area (including Southern Ontario and Northwestern PA) are the most loyal in the land.

I will say that the NFL would prefer if a 'big market' team(s) are the most competative each year, I think so anyway, but the TV deal is as it is, so they get the bulk of their revenue from that.  I do believe that the Bills are a big national TV draw when they are doing well.

I assume that a Chiefs / Bills Championship game is not the ideal matchup for the NFL, but to bad, it's likely to happen again this coming season.

There are a lot of things PtR & yours truly don't see eye to eye on, but this is one of the several that we do.

The league isn't run by the same people that were there when Wilson made sure Sullivan didn't have to move.  These new breed of owners don't care nearly as much about history as they do cash.  The Bills being in Buffalo rather than TO costs them money.  And they are not happy about it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Having OP as the site in the opening salvo is quite interesting.

Knowing the Pegulas own a LOT of property downtown via 3rd party purchases, wonder if as these negotiations continue that OP remains the site or if a downtown site will become the focus when when they get to the point that real private money comes into the discussion.

I assume that Pegula made his new stadium financing request for an OP site came after they received a report that they commissioned more than a year ago. The study examined a variety of sites and costs associated with the various sites. As I and others stated the downtown and waterfront sites would be a much more complicated and costly endeavor. In addition, the politics and environmental impact requirements  would be tougher and take a lot longer to work out. 

I'm not sure if the Pegulas or the county own the land in OP where the stadium is proposed. But either way having the land available in advance would make it so much easier to work out a deal that will by nature be a complicated deal.   

32 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's fair to ask how much of this is the Pegulas and how much is Jerry Jones?

Jones is driving the bus. He's greedy and tired of sharing profits with small market teams. 

The stadium is old and may have some issues but it's a great place to watch a game. 

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

There are a lot of things PtR & yours truly don't see eye to eye on, but this is one of the several that we do.

The league isn't run by the same people that were there when Wilson made sure Sullivan didn't have to move.  These new breed of owners don't care nearly as much about history as they do cash.  The Bills being in Buffalo rather than TO costs them money.  And they are not happy about it.

That's right.  I forgot about the 'old guard' is all but gone and maybe all gone from the time of Mr. Wilson.

I still don't see a move being likely in the near term.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Well that is the thing, they need leverage and its the only one they got.

I just hope we're not in a redux situation like the original Cleveland Browns got hammered with back in the 90's.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's worth noting the Pegulas retained Jerry Jones' firm to negotiate the a stadium deal. Saying Austin as a relocation option is not only ludicrous (because of UT) it's downright lazy. Toronto would be way more believable.

I don't know... Houston, San Antonio and Dallas all have major sports teams.  So far Austin has MLS but they would jump at an NFL franchise.  Austin is the only city in the U.S. top ten in population that doesn't have a big three (NFL/NBA/MLB) franchise, and San Antonio is close enough that they could help support an NFL team.

There's a LOT of money in Austin these days, too.

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

This is the price of having a team in your area.  With very few exceptions, Teams DO get new stadiums and taxpayer dollars pay for them.  

Which do you want....no team? or a huge package of public dollars to pay for new stadiums in your region?

No team. Giving billions to billionaires and their billionaire league is atrocious. 

At best 50% split. 

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

There is to much of a rich history for the NFL to 'hate' the Bills.  The fans in the area (including Southern Ontario and Northwestern PA) are the most loyal in the land.

I have to take exception to that.  The Raiders have been raided repeatedly, moved to LA and back and now to Vegas and their fan base is just as rabid.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

No disrespect to STH but if the two options are PSL’s or taxpayers kicking in more to build the new stadium, my vote goes for...make the people pay who want to use the product the most. 

It's not either/or.  It's both.

NFL hates Buffalo and would move us to Austin in a heartbeat. They’d probably move us to London if it wasn’t for COVID. Especially as the team is good and the city would embrace a good team out of the gate. 

Funding stadiums is also a total scam. 

Enjoy the Bills while we can 

Edited by triumph_communes

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.