Pegulas New Bills Stadium Proposal a Public and Private Partnership

Brawndo

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

See, ^ they get it. 

Pegulas will make billions from the Bills over the life of a new stadium while the county will make pennies based on false promises. We can't afford to get the homeless the help they need but ***** it if we can't afford a billionaires pleasure palace. 

This is the price of having a team in your area.  With very few exceptions, Teams DO get new stadiums and taxpayer dollars pay for them.  

Which do you want....no team? or a huge package of public dollars to pay for new stadiums in your region?

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, SDS said:

These questions are so 10 years ago. It’s easy to throw out a hypothetical question without any confounding detail. A lot of people have studied this and the fact that they landed back at Orchard Park is quite telling.

For a downtown or waterfront site acquiring the parcels of land and investing in the needed infrastructure would put the price tag out of reach. And on top of that the political wrangling would go on for years before there would be an agreement in this more complicated project. 

As you clearly stated those issues are at least if not more than 10 yrs in the past. The landscape changes and the environment changes. There are good arguments to be made about what the public contribution should be. But as far as the location goes the Orchard Park site is not only the best site but the solution to many other problems that would be insurmountable. 

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

It's worth noting the Pegulas retained Jerry Jones' firm to negotiate the a stadium deal. Saying Austin as a relocation option is not only ludicrous (because of UT) it's downright lazy. Toronto would be way more believable.

Toronto would not be a likely option because there isn't an adequate stadium for the team to be moved to. And my understanding is that if a new facility was to be built it would have to be privately financed. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Toronto would not be a likely option because there isn't an adequate stadium for the team to be moved to. And my understanding is that if a new facility was to be built it would have to be privately financed. 

If having an NFL facility is the yardstick then St. Louis is just sitting there.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If having an NFL facility is the yardstick then St. Louis is just sitting there.

I don't understand your response. How is St. Louis's facility adequate enough? 

I'm not worried about losing the Bills. The Pegulas had their stadium study done and are now in a very early stage of negotiating the finances with the public sector. They started off with a high demand and will then work done. 

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, SDS said:

These questions are so 10 years ago. It’s easy to throw out a hypothetical question without any confounding detail. A lot of people have studied this and the fact that they landed back at Orchard Park is quite telling.

Having OP as the site in the opening salvo is quite interesting.

Knowing the Pegulas own a LOT of property downtown via 3rd party purchases, wonder if as these negotiations continue that OP remains the site or if a downtown site will become the focus when when they get to the point that real private money comes into the discussion.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I don’t know what you mean by “that guy”, just pointing out a very possible scenario. I don’t see NY ponying up that kind of money. 

I kinda do. More or less. NY errrr I think I’ll stop there. My views about this topic are definitely not group think hive minded. I hope the Bills and Sabres are here for many years to come. Leave it at that.

48 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't understand your response. How is St. Louis's facility adequate enough? 

I'm not worried about losing the Bills. The Pegulas had their stadium study done and are now in a very early stage of negotiating the finances with the public sector. They started off with a high demand and will then work done. 

They have dome just sitting there downtown.

32 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I am confident that the NFL will never allow the Bills to leave Buffalo.

Much the same as the NHL never allowing the Sabres to leave Buffalo.

At least not in the immediate future of my expected remaining life.  50 years from now, who knows, or cares.

NHL maybe. But the NFL hates us. Nothing they would love more than moving the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Here is another question...when do the taxpayers(me), get to see what I’m buying for 1.5B?

I’ll followup my earlier post with another question...what exactly do they have planned for KBC? 400 mil seems like a pretty big renovation. 

14 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I kinda do. More or less. NY errrr I think I’ll stop there. My views about this topic are definitely not group think hive minded. I hope the Bills and Sabres are here for many years to come. Leave it at that.

You’re such an enlightened thinker. 🙄

12 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I’ll followup my earlier post with another question...what exactly do they have planned for KBC? 400 mil seems like a pretty big renovation. 

Will see if my notes are still around.  There were a LOT of things the company running that earlier mentioned study was contemplating.  Expect this new company that specializes in even bigger Gautier palaces have even more renovations in store.

Upgrading the AC and significantly reconfiguring the seating in the bowl were just a couple of the ideas.

Edited by Taro T

I wonder if the original plan and vision was to build a downtown stadium as part of an overall sports oriented downtown area with their other assets but because of Covid and cost, the ownership settled on proceeding with a stadium in OP.  Surprised that they opened with taxpayers footing the entire bill for the new stadium and renovation of the arena.  I think we all would expect that the NFL will provide some contribution out of the league stadium fund and for ownership to contribute some amount as well.  This is a bad look for the Pegulas given current circumstances and will only open them up to a fair amount of negative attention. Even offering a small initial contribution would have helped.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

This is the price of having a team in your area.  With very few exceptions, Teams DO get new stadiums and taxpayer dollars pay for them.  

Which do you want....no team? or a huge package of public dollars to pay for new stadiums in your region?

Most people realize the US has an infrastructure problem (the roads and bridges kind) with upgrades needed soon.  Especially in metro areas where traffic has surged in the past 50 years.    

This may come as a surprise to many, but the Federal/State/local governments don't have enough money for everything.  I'm quite confident the Pegula's won't receive 100% of financing for their two team locations, but any spending on these endeavors comes at the expense of something else.  The question is: which areas should be cut so that the Pegula's can continue making 8-9 figure profits?  That is, unless you're willing to pay higher taxes for entertainment.  

29 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

NHL maybe. But the NFL hates us. Nothing they would love more than moving the Bills.

There is to much of a rich history for the NFL to 'hate' the Bills.  The fans in the area (including Southern Ontario and Northwestern PA) are the most loyal in the land.

I will say that the NFL would prefer if a 'big market' team(s) are the most competative each year, I think so anyway, but the TV deal is as it is, so they get the bulk of their revenue from that.  I do believe that the Bills are a big national TV draw when they are doing well.

I assume that a Chiefs / Bills Championship game is not the ideal matchup for the NFL, but to bad, it's likely to happen again this coming season.

13 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

I wonder if the original plan and vision was to build a downtown stadium as part of an overall sports oriented downtown area with their other assets but because of Covid and cost, the ownership settled on proceeding with a stadium in OP.  Surprised that they opened with taxpayers footing the entire bill for the new stadium and renovation of the arena.  I think we all would expect that the NFL will provide some contribution out of the league stadium fund and for ownership to contribute some amount as well.  This is a bad look for the Pegulas given current circumstances and will only open them up to a fair amount of negative attention. Even offering a small initial contribution would have helped.

To the bolded, why is that surprising?

This is their initial ask and any movement in their ask will be for less.  Ask for everything.  When all is said & done you could find yourself ending up w/ more than you initially expected.

Would be surprised if this negotiation takes less than a year & realistically could see it lasting 2 years.  (The Bills have a contract through the next 3 seasons & they easily could expend it a year if that's what it takes to have a new stadium ready.)  IMHO, only a few will remember the initial ask was for $1.5B of public money w/ nothing added by them.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.