Pegulas New Bills Stadium Proposal a Public and Private Partnership

Brawndo

I love the Ralph and I think building a new stadium in WNY would be enormously wasteful.

However, no one should kid himself/herself about the risk of losing the Bills if they don’t get a new stadium on a good deal with plenty of public money.  There are plenty of cities that would deliver a sweetheart deal and a stadium that would make much more $$ than whatever the Bills will make here.  And the other NFL owners will not stand in the way.

You can have an NFL team, or you can insist that no public money be spent on a new stadium.  You can’t have both.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I don’t think the NFL hates the Bills. If a franchise is making good money, And it is… The NFL loves you 😂

Good money isn't enough.  Not in the NFL, not in other corporations, nowhere. 

15 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

No disrespect to STH but if the two options are PSL’s or taxpayers kicking in more to build the new stadium, my vote goes for...make the people pay who want to use the product the most. 

With a good team on the field, I'm guessing the Pegula's would see PSL's as a essential AND taxpayer funding.

They're in a business and everyone knows you never spend your own money if you don't have to.  In this case, they'll work the system force someone else to shoulder as much of the burden as they can. 

30 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

Good money isn't enough.  Not in the NFL, not in other corporations, nowhere. 

With a good team on the field, I'm guessing the Pegula's would see PSL's as a essential AND taxpayer funding.

They're in a business and everyone knows you never spend your own money if you don't have to.  In this case, they'll work the system force someone else to shoulder as much of the burden as they can. 

Nevermind. I think I read this wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I love the Ralph and I think building a new stadium in WNY would be enormously wasteful.

However, no one should kid himself/herself about the risk of losing the Bills if they don’t get a new stadium on a good deal with plenty of public money.  There are plenty of cities that would deliver a sweetheart deal and a stadium that would make much more $$ than whatever the Bills will make here.  And the other NFL owners will not stand in the way.

You can have an NFL team, or you can insist that no public money be spent on a new stadium.  You can’t have both.  

This is true. I guess I'm just fed up with professional sports and their greed. But what's new it's true throughout our society. Money changes hands openly or privately and we the average guy flip the bill. Cynical? You bet.

• Like (+1) 1

The Pegulas would never move the Bills but Jerry Jones would. 

There is a compromise to be made here on both sides and I think in the end it'll get done with a split of public, nfl and pegula money. 

I'm betting 20% nfl, 50% public and 30% pegula money when it's all said and done. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, I-90 W said:

NFL is the NASCAR of football. The games are always close and all the teams play similarly. The close scores may be exciting for many but I think it’s boring. I’d much rather watch CFB where true upsets are possible.

I am so confused by this take. How are upsets more possible on CFB because there are almost always blowouts? Are you saying by you need leagues/levels to establish a dominant power in order for you to be entertained? If so, you’re explanation of it is a little weird.

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I am so confused by this take. How are upsets more possible on CFB because there are almost always blowouts? Are you saying by you need leagues/levels to establish a dominant power in order for you to be entertained? If so, you’re explanation of it is a little weird.

This really isn’t complicated, and I’m a bit surprised by the pushback. My logic is simple; in the average NFL game, it feels like the winner is determined by when the clock happens to run out since it’s so often within two touchdowns. If the Jets beat the Bills by four points in four quarters, who is to say that the Bills wouldn’t have won if the game went on longer? Close games are exciting, but not if it is all of the time.

Not only are the scores to close, but the schemes feel the same as well. CFB has much more diverse playbooks. I think college football is more pure football. Disagree all you like, but there is a reason it is the second most popular sport/ league in our country behind the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I don't think the NFL will contribute a dime towards a new stadium.  It may extend a loan, and I believe the NFL has a program designed for this, but it will be a loan that needs to be repaid, not a grant or a contribution.

Yup. They have a loan program that was established in like ‘14 that most new stadiums have taken advantage of since. It’s either $250M or $350M I believe.

12 hours ago, sabremike said:

If you think that then you couldn't possibly be more wrong. The Packers are one of the 5 or so most popular teams in the entire league.

If the Packers don't get a viable replacement for Rodgers their popularity will wane.  Nobody outside of Wisconsin (except for a few ex-pats) cared about them in the '70's & early '80's.  The Bills were selling the 4th most merchandise in the league during the Superbowl run.  Didn't keep the league from wanting them in TO when Wilson passed.  Popularity due to winning only lasts as long as the winning does.

And owners like Jones & Kraft don't really want those teams being more successful on the field than they are.

Corporate purchases of luxury boxes & ridiculous PSL fees are what those guys want out of their brethren teams.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

This really isn’t complicated, and I’m a bit surprised by the pushback. My logic is simple; in the average NFL game, it feels like the winner is determined by when the clock happens to run out since it’s so often within two touchdowns. If the Jets beat the Bills by four points in four quarters, who is to say that the Bills wouldn’t have won if the game went on longer? Close games are exciting, but not if it is all of the time.

Not only are the scores to close, but the schemes feel the same as well. CFB has much more diverse playbooks. I think college football is more pure football. Disagree all you like, but there is a reason it is the second most popular sport/ league in our country behind the NFL. 

But by your logic there are no true upsets in CFB then because who is to say the better team wouldn’t have overcome the deficit if the game went on longer? On a long enough timeline every player is dead anyways.

I don’t agree at all that college football is more pure football. The talent differences are so big that the big schools don’t play football, it’s just practice for them. WRs burn through the secondaries because there are just not enough talented corners and safeties to go around which is why teams routinely put up 50-70 points in those games. It’s low-effort, high-scoring football. I don’t know that I’m convinced that’s what football is supposed to be.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hoss said:

But by your logic there are no true upsets in CFB then because who is to say the better team wouldn’t have overcome the deficit if the game went on longer? On a long enough timeline every player is dead anyways.

I don’t agree at all that college football is more pure football. The talent differences are so big that the big schools don’t play football, it’s just practice for them. WRs burn through the secondaries because there are just not enough talented corners and safeties to go around which is why teams routinely put up 50-70 points in those games. It’s low-effort, high-scoring football. I don’t know that I’m convinced that’s what football is supposed to be.

This is a false analogy as the discrepancy between scoring displays a true winner, irregardless of play stoppage. You watch what you want and I’ll watch what I want. 

Edited by I-90 W

32 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

This is a false analogy as the discrepancy between scoring displays a true winner, irregardless of play stoppage. You watch what you want and I’ll watch what I want. 

But very few upsets have a wide scoring margin so your logic still doesn’t hold. As far as your last line: miss me with that. You stated a position and I’m countering it. This is a public discussion forum that’s the entire point. Of course I’ll watch what I want to watch and you’ll watch what you want. I happen to watch and enjoy both.

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

But very few upsets have a wide scoring margin so your logic still doesn’t hold. As far as your last line: miss me with that. You stated a position and I’m countering it. This is a public discussion forum that’s the entire point. Of course I’ll watch what I want to watch and you’ll watch what you want. I happen to watch and enjoy both.

And now you’re misrepresenting what I even said in regard to scoring discrepancies. Btw, I don’t think the entire point of this forum is to quarrel over anything and everything. I understand it is for some, but I don’t think that’s the entire point for it’s existence. Far as arguing with me for everything I say, how about you “miss me with that”.

8 hours ago, Taro T said:

If the Packers don't get a viable replacement for Rodgers their popularity will wane.  Nobody outside of Wisconsin (except for a few ex-pats) cared about them in the '70's & early '80's.  The Bills were selling the 4th most merchandise in the league during the Superbowl run.  Didn't keep the league from wanting them in TO when Wilson passed.  Popularity due to winning only lasts as long as the winning does.

And owners like Jones & Kraft don't really want those teams being more successful on the field than they are.

Corporate purchases of luxury boxes & ridiculous PSL fees are what those guys want out of their brethren teams.

'Plastic Face' Jones will be 79 this year and 'Rub & Tug' Kraft just turned 80. I'm hoping the Bills can run out the clock on them...

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/1/2021 at 9:36 PM, LabattBlue said:

I don’t see it.  IMO...with a new stadium, they are going nowhere for at least 25 years...if not more. 

Can this region, this fan base, actually support/pay the costs associated with a new stadium? I mean once it’s built, which sets aside the matter of public money to build the stadium. I have my doubts.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.