Pegulas New Bills Stadium Proposal a Public and Private Partnership

Brawndo

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They happen to be the two most influential owners and essentially run the league through Roger Goodell.

No doubt that these two oldsters are the most influential owners in the league. But that doesn't mean that they dominate to the point of mandating what their preferences are. There are 30 other owners who have a vote/say on issues. 

I don't know what your concern is? That the Bills will be moved if a new stadium isn't built? The current stadium is beyond being antiquated. It is crumbling and putting more money into renovating this dinosaur facility is a waste of money. The discussion here is about building a new stadium. It is in the embryonic stage. After a lot of hardnosed engagement between the parties I'm confident that something will get worked. The public will pay a portion of the costs and the owners will pay a bigger portion. The ratio will be tussled over and will be settled on. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

No doubt that these two oldsters are the most influential owners in the league. But that doesn't mean that they dominate to the point of mandating what their preferences are. There are 30 other owners who have a vote/say on issues. 

I don't know what your concern is? That the Bills will be moved if a new stadium isn't built? The current stadium is beyond being antiquated. It is crumbling and putting more money into renovating this dinosaur facility is a waste of money. The discussion here is about building a new stadium. It is in the embryonic stage. After a lot of hardnosed engagement between the parties I'm confident that something will get worked. The public will pay a portion of the costs and the owners will pay a bigger portion. The ratio will be tussled over and will be settled on. 

Actually they do influence the owners greatly. The Cowboys and Patriots are the biggest money makers in the league, so the other owners often follow their recommendations. They both have made no secret of their disappointment in Buffalo's situation. In fact it was reported that the Pegula's pretty much had to swear a new stadium would be addressed before they won approval as the new Bills owners.

I don't doubt some sort of deal for a stadium will happen, though who knows how Governor Cuomo's peccadillos will hamper things. I assume the Lt. Gov Kathy Hochul shares the same desire to keep the Bills in WNY. All I'm saying is local fans can never take for granted our place at the big league table.  Buffalo really has no business in the NFL now. It's grandfathered from our days 70 years ago when this was considered a major American city.

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Actually they do influence the owners greatly. The Cowboys and Patriots are the biggest money makers in the league, so the other owners often follow their recommendations. They both have made no secret of their disappointment in Buffalo's situation. In fact it was reported that the Pegula's pretty much had to swear a new stadium would be addressed before they won approval as the new Bills owners.

I don't doubt some sort of deal for a stadium will happen, though who knows how Governor Cuomo's peccadillos will hamper things. I assume the Lt. Gov Kathy Hochul shares the same desire to keep the Bills in WNY. All I'm saying is local fans can never take for granted our place at the big league table.  Buffalo really has no business in the NFL now. It's grandfathered from our days 70 years ago when this was considered a major American city.

Whether Cuomo stays or goes is somewhat irrelevant to this situation. He knows that the Bills are the only true NYS franchise - not the two New Jersey teams that haven't ditched the New York tag, so it wouldn't surprise me if he fights to keep the team in town. Plus, we all know that Hochul WILL fight for the team, whether she stays in her current capacity or succeeds him in office.

20 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

23 hours ago, JohnC said:

Somewhere between your opinions is the truth.

I agree the Bills are more or less grandfathered in but disagree that most owners want us to move. One thing is the PR surrounding a move of a classic/historic franchise which the Bills honestly are. Just look back at the Browns and the ####show that caused. Only a few years later they ended up putting a new team in the same smaller tier market. In the end Buffalo has a small amount of non-monetary benefits that make it wise for the NFL to keep around. (Especially with a weaker Canadian dollar, Buffalo serves as a pseudo-Canadian team that doesn’t require the headache of international laws or currency fluctuations.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/3/2021 at 9:34 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Ok, so I'm quoting this post again since there will be a change of occupants in the Governor's Mansion in Albany. Given that the new Guv is from Buffalo, how much do you guys think she'll do to help the Bills get a new and much better stadium?

2 minutes ago, FogBat said:

Ok, so I'm quoting this post again since there will be a change of occupants in the Governor's Mansion in Albany. Given that the new Guv is from Buffalo, how much do you guys think she'll do to help the Bills get a new and much better stadium?

There’s an election next year and if Hochul plans to run she’s going to need every single WNY vote so that’s something to consider.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Hoss said:

There’s an election next year and if Hochul plans to run she’s going to need every single WNY vote so that’s something to consider.

It's politically more advantageous to take the position that less support rather than more support in using taxpayer money for a stadium project that mostly benefits a billionaire owner. And I will go so far as to say that more western NY voters would also favor that position. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Really have a hard time believing an upstate candidate has a shot at being elected Governor.  Even though she'll hold the advantage of incumbency and the cachet that comes with being the state's 1st female governor.

25 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Really have a hard time believing an upstate candidate has a shot at being elected Governor.  Even though she'll hold the advantage of incumbency and the cachet that comes with being the state's 1st female governor.

I don’t believe she has a shot either but I think she’s going to try.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, FogBat said:

I expect Hochul to act tough but give the Bills most of what they want. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Brawndo changed the title to Pegulas New Bills Stadium Proposal a Public and Private Partnership
10 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

My hope would be no public funding, but that is not realistic, as the 'people' and the county derive some economic benefit from a new stadium.

So, best case it will be as little as possible public money.  70/30?

League standard is 55/45 (public being 45).

Edited by Hoss
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 8/10/2021 at 6:40 PM, Hoss said:

I don’t believe she has a shot either but I think she’s going to try.

She wouldn't have a shot at winning the Democratic primary, but given the incumbency, she now has that advantage.  Once she wins the primary I think it will be hard to beat an upstate Democrat.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.