Pegulas New Bills Stadium Proposal a Public and Private Partnership

Brawndo

Just now, PASabreFan said:

Is the stadium safe?

Presumably. Otherwise, there's NFW the County would allow people in there, especially in the 300s.

The posturing about how the old stadium is falling apart is really just part of PSE's efforts to expedite approval for a new stadium.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

For sure.

Of course, the Pegulas went from Terry's infamous quip in February 2011 about "I'll just drill another well" to the internal PSE memorandum that indicated that the Pegulas needed to maintain their lifestyle (i.e., mega-yachts are super expensive).

I expect them to come up with 1/3 - 2/5 of the total budgeted cost.

I would nudge it up to at least 40% of the cost. If you want to make sure that the owner is invested in keeping the construction costs down then it is better to make him  have more skin in the game. 

On 9/2/2021 at 12:15 PM, That Aud Smell said:

is that facility likely to create much of a hole? i feel like it's built mostly or entirely at-grade.

On 9/2/2021 at 12:26 PM, spndnchz said:

I believe half is below grade on the old Ralph 

I feel like only the top tier is above ground.  It's been a while since I've been there, though.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Presumably. Otherwise, there's NFW the County would allow people in there, especially in the 300s.

The posturing about how the old stadium is falling apart is really just part of PSE's efforts to expedite approval for a new stadium.

I would guess this is pretty accurate, and is why I would've liked Jeremy and Sal to have pressed the PSE guy on this point.

47 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

The club seating areas, and the upper parts of the endzone seating, are all above grade. 

Just the end zone club seats though, right?  I think the sideline club seats are below grade.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, darksabre said:

Again, the thing to keep in mind here is when the stadium was built. If you look at other stadiums around the league that were built during the same era, nearly all have been demolished. Foxboro, Giants Stadium, Pontiac Silverdome, San Diego Stadium, Tampa Stadium, I could go on...

It's a building code issue. The way we started building stuff, both commercially and residentially, changed in this country in the late 60s. Lower standards, lots of new materials, lightweight materials, etc. Stadiums built in the late 60s and 70s were not built to last.

I believe some of the recent several-hundred million dollar renovations were done to address structural issues, no? If that’s the case, that tells me it’s not only time logically but also structurally. Bandaid solutions for possible structural issues isn’t going to get it done. Blow it up.

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Should we wait until the moment before collapse to build a new stadium or is it better to be proactive about safety when it comes to large structures?

• Like (+1) 2

I was going to say that we should expect the new stadium to nice, but underwhelming, given the modest cost. I thought it would be at the low end of what recent stadiums cost. However it turns out $1.4 billion is in the ballpark. (WTF made Sofi Stadium so expensive? Almost $5 B.)

So let's expect to be whelmed. What do we want to see in a new stadium?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.