Evander Kane betting allegations

Hoss

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Love how this incident, if it even is one, gets more attention than when his daughter died.  Keepin' it classy...

Not gonna lie. I had completely forgotten about that.  Losing a child can often be a catalyst for even healthy relationships to go south in a big way.  

12 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

TM was not fit to run a team.  His career, which is over, was a classic example of nepotism.  Patty LaLa blew that hire big time.  

I partially disagree. He was a great scout but had zero ability to understand personality based value and the greater interconnectivity between a team’s players. He took the whole players are “robots” approach and ignored any and all potential personality clashes that could arise.

• Like (+1) 1

GMTM is the best GM we've had post-Regier and that's obviously a low bar but his abrasive personality obviously cost him a career. His abrasive personality also probably had something to do with his inability to understand what team building really is.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I partially disagree. He was a great scout but had zero ability to understand personality based value and the greater interconnectivity between a team’s players. He took the whole players are “robots” approach and ignored any and all potential personality clashes that could arise.

A am not sure he was a great scout but a scout is not a GM.  

10 minutes ago, Hoss said:

GMTM is the best GM we've had post-Regier and that's obviously a low bar but his abrasive personality obviously cost him a career. His abrasive personality also probably had something to do with his inability to understand what team building really is.

Very low bar indeed.  Still have hope for Adams. 

I just don't like Kane, from my own brief personal interactions with him, and then that situation from years ago with the "alleged"sexual assault. Sadly I have some inside knowledge of the whole story (obviously can't speak on it due to HIPPA and privacy/decency) but that's enough to make him enemy No. 1 in my mind, he gets no benefit of the doubt from me. 

59 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I seriously question whether he was in fact a good scout.  His drafting as Sabres GM was quite poor.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

I seriously question whether he was in fact a good scout.  His drafting as Sabres GM was quite poor.

It's not an unfair question/ observation.

He definitely had a preference in style of player he liked.  In fairness to him, the big power forward & bruising D-man which he seemed to obsess over usually need a lot of development to make any sort of impact in the NHL.  The ones at the very top of the draft not so much, but the rest do.  Expect the Sabres lousy job of development prior to Taylor taking over as Amerks HC might have something to do with his miss rate.

Would be interesting to study (IMHO, YMMV 😉 ) his draft picks & other similar style players drafted in those years and see how players drafted with quality development programs fared relative to the Sabres prospects.

21 minutes ago, Curt said:

I think his drafting wad more a reflection of his swing for the fences mentality than of his talent evaluation skills.  He was very open about chasing size and athleticism over more traditional evaluations.

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think his drafting wad more a reflection of his swing for the fences mentality than of his talent evaluation skills.  He was very open about chasing size and athleticism over more traditional evaluations.

Well, I suppose that would be acceptable if he actually hit on an acceptable number of these big swings.  So far, Botterill’s drafts have looked way better.

32 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It's not an unfair question/ observation.

He definitely had a preference in style of player he liked.  In fairness to him, the big power forward & bruising D-man which he seemed to obsess over usually need a lot of development to make any sort of impact in the NHL.  The ones at the very top of the draft not so much, but the rest do.  Expect the Sabres lousy job of development prior to Taylor taking over as Amerks HC might have something to do with his miss rate.

Would be interesting to study (IMHO, YMMV 😉 ) his draft picks & other similar style players drafted in those years and see how players drafted with quality development programs fared relative to the Sabres prospects.

I can’t agree, because basically all of the guys drafted by Murray who actually made it to the AHL arrived there after Taylor was already in place.  The problem wasn’t so much that a bunch of promising prospects were stagnating in the AHL.  It was more so that there were not a lot of prospects who ended up being good enough to even sign with the Sabres and then come play in the AHL.

1 minute ago, Curt said:

I can’t agree, because basically all of the guys drafted by Murray who actually made it to the AHL arrived there after Taylor was already in place.  The problem wasn’t so much that a bunch of promising prospects were stagnating in the AHL.  It was more so that there were not a lot of prospects who ended up being good enough to even sign with the Sabres and then come play in the AHL.

Yea I would agree with this take. Talent wasn’t there in many cases.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.