I Want My Hockey Team Back!

PerreaultForever

5 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

This helps explain why a lot of Sabres fans can’t see or appreciate Dahlin for what he is. 

Speaking of the 1970's Sabres, that defence is what we expect.  Most were physical, most were puck moving, most were defencively sound.  Housley was soft by comparison and not as defencively sound as, say, Schoenfeld, Hajt, Fogolin, etc. while his offencive prowess did not compensate for his comparative deficiencies.  He was not helped by the idiots before the draft who compared him to Bobby Orr.

2 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Speaking of the 1970's Sabres, that defence is what we expect.  Most were physical, most were puck moving, most were defencively sound.  Housley was soft by comparison and not as defencively sound as, say, Schoenfeld, Hajt, Fogolin, etc. while his offencive prowess did not compensate for his comparative deficiencies.  He was not helped by the idiots before the draft who compared him to Bobby Orr.

When Housley was drafted in 1980 the league was not ready for his talents and style of play.  

If he played now hockey fans would love him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HoosierDaddy said:

And we also hate any D that don’t hit. Housley’s in the HOF, but he was HATED as a player here.

Housley was hated because he was HORRIBLE in his own end.  Stephane Richer still sends him Christmas cards every year.

And the ONLY reason he's in the HoF is because he's American.  Any other nationality & he doesn't sniff membership.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Housley was hated because he was HORRIBLE in his own end.  Stephane Richer still sends him Christmas cards every year.

And the ONLY reason he's in the HoF is because he's American.  Any other nationality & he doesn't sniff membership.

Housley is 4th all time in points by a D. I don’t think his nationality matters in that regard. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Show me those stats, and I’ll be able to answer. 

To my knowledge, he barely ever played forward in his long career. 

His first few seasons Scotty used him at center frequently.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I’m starting to regret bringing up Housley as a player amongst fellow fans. There really is a huge gulf between “one of the best players ever to pull on the Sabres sweater” and “hit em with your purse Phyllis.” But I think that we can all agree that he sucked as a coach.

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Wrong decade.  Housely was 80s.  I missed virtually all of his career (I was disconnected from NHL hockey for the whole decade of the 80s for various reasons.)

Edited by Doohickie

18 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

You were obsessed with Max Headroom. 

Yes, but mostly it was partying my ass off in college 300 miles away, then starting a career and family out west.  I moved to Detroit in 91, got pulled back into the NHL by the Red Wings (leading to their 97 Cup win), then moved to Texas and got Center Ice.... that's when I reconnected with the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Wrong decade.  Housely was 80s.  I missed virtually all of his career (I was disconnected from NHL hockey for the whole decade of the 80s for various reasons.)

That was my point.  After the big, rugged defence we had had for years, we were overly critical of Housley for his entire time in Buffalo -- no matter what he did right, his flaws represented what we lost and respected.  More recently,  Tim Connolly represented the Mike Peca trade in the same way.

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Show me those stats, and I’ll be able to answer. 

To my knowledge, he barely ever played forward in his long career. 

You'd likely have to go to individual game logs which if you have access to the microfiche of the Buffalo News are obtainable.  Not sure where else you'd find them.  The stats are effectively buried & as @Weave mentioned, Bowman played him up front frequently.  His early "D-man" stats are definitely skewed by his actual usage.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You'd likely have to go to individual game logs which if you have access to the microfiche of the Buffalo News are obtainable.  Not sure where else you'd find them.  The stats are effectively buried & as @Weave mentioned, Bowman played him up front frequently.  His early "D-man" stats are definitely skewed by his actual usage.

Even if he played a few years at forward, I’m sure it doesn’t completely decimate his stats where he is among all time scoring D. 

21 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Remember when we were good?

Remember when we had a team filled with pride that stood up for each other?

Remember when we could take it and dish it out just as well? 

Remember when we used to win as the norm and losing hurt?

Remember when it wasn't about just making the playoffs but it was about can we win it all?

Remember?????

We deserve better than this. Do not accept this s-show as the norm. Give me something to believe in again or fold it up and call it a day. Enough is enough.

Remember?

and not saying I'm looking for saturday fight nights, but the pride, the TEAM, the standing up for each other, the grit and fortitude. We have fallen so far we've forgotten what it used to be like.

I'm going to back off now and spend the rest of the summer watching good old hockey memories from youtube. The Jack trade arguments and all the what will be and who and what if and etc etc has just grown pointless. See ya later.

and as an aside - remember when the Bruins actually had a guy named Shoebottom. 

Do you remember President Nixon? And the bills we had to pay?

• Awesome! (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Do you remember President Nixon? And the bills we had to pay?

Awesome tune, but @PerreaultForever is Canadian.  From BC, if I recall correctly.

Now, most Canadians of a certain age remember President Nixon.  Not my lifetime, but I remember stories of Vice President Nixon.  About the best thing he ever did was end the draft in '73, although somewhat reluctantly.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Bowman played him up front frequently.

Interesting, since he did the opposite to Federov in Detroit for about half a season (and that's after Federov won the Hart as a forward).  I will say, it *did* make Federov a better all around player.

14 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Even if he played a few years at forward, I’m sure it doesn’t completely decimate his stats where he is among all time scoring D. 

Correct.  He definitely got a lot of shifts at forward early on.  I think by 1982-3, he was firmly on defence.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.