What’s your number on a Dahlin extension?

Hoss

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

What you’ve got to consider when you suggest anywhere from 4-6 year deals is that you’re walking him right to free agency basically as soon as possible.

This is correct.  Dahlin has to play 4 more seasons before he qualifies for UFA.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Hoss said:

This buy just one year of UFA (upon further review I believe it buys three). If you’re going that long just go eight years.

Correct. It spreads the cap hit evenly even if you front load the deal.

I crunched the numbers and Rasmus II will be UFA June 30, 2025 (he will only be 25 and I forgot about the 7 seasons part, or 27 years old), so a 7 year deal does buy 3 years of UFA.  I agree, if you are going 7 just go 8 and try to re-sign him at the end of the 7th year, just like TB does. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Curt said:

This is correct.  Dahlin has to play 4 more seasons before he qualifies for UFA.

At age 25.

When I was proposing and 8 x 8 deal and thought that it got the Sabres 2 UFA years I forgot about the 7 seasons part of it.

So, an 8 x 8 will get the Sabres 4 UFA years.

The comparables are all over the place because Heiskanen got less than what Nurse is apparently getting and he’s probably between those two. He projects to be better than both if he reaches even 90% of his ceiling. If this comes in at 8x$8.5M I’d probably be fine and I do want to lock him in long-term. I think it’d be worth the extra $ for the morale boost.

But I have also been wrong on a handful of things recently - including Skinner’s extension.

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, Hoss said:

The comparables are all over the place because Heiskanen got less than what Nurse is apparently getting and he’s probably between those two. He projects to be better than both if he reaches even 90% of his ceiling. If this comes in at 8x$8.5M I’d probably be fine and I do want to lock him in long-term. I think it’d be worth the extra $ for the morale boost.

But I have also been wrong on a handful of things recently - including Skinner’s extension.

Am with @darksabre 8x8.  It's pretty much inevitable at this time that THE* rebuild is on Dahlin hitting his prime's timeline.

* As opposed to the 2 or so previous trial rebuilds.  THIS is the real one.  Honest. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.