“Get them out into the community…“

SDS

1 minute ago, SDS said:

That seems rather cynical. I’m going to give the new guys an opportunity to succeed or fail. It doesn’t cost me anything.

It is.  But that doesn't mean it's wrong.

Will believe they get this right when they actually get it right.  Am right down there w/ Calloway regarding this team at present.

I've been thinking this for years. They don't do enough "team" off ice activities and events. I know they do some charity stuff and some individuals more than others (all teams do) but online I run into tons of stuff from the Bruins and teams like that and almost nothing similar from the Sabres. It's the right idea. Nobody much is going to care though until this team has an identity and enthusiasm on the ice that is infectious though. 

Think this ties into wanting players who want to be here. Our fanbase is a selling point for our team. It’s been so long since we’ve been winning, younger players don’t know what this place can be like when we’re good. KA probably wants them to see how much this is a hockey town.

I think this is great.  I can’t see how anyone could think otherwise.  I don’t even live in the area, but having your NHL team, or really any business, be highly involved in the community is good for all parties.

This is true regardless of whether the team is good, bad, great, terrible, or just ok.

Community involvement and the on ice product are totally separate things.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Back in the day, the Sabres players actually did get out in the community.  Still have great memories of Luce & Ramsay hanging out with our Cub Scout Troop for a couple of hours.

Rob Ray spent a lot of times in pediatric wings of hospitals without the cameras on.

Doubt they'll get the players doing those sorts of things.  If they could/would it would be great.  But most likely this will simply be another hamhanded attempt at staged publicity and it'll backfire.  They come up with a lot of good ideas for things they can do to improve relations with the fans, but they implement those ideas so poorly it isn't even humorous oftentimes.

I don’t agree.  I think there are so many NHL players who are incredibly grateful for the position they are in and really do want to give back to the community.

In fact, it seems like Eichel himself is somewhat notorious for doing just that, without the limelight or fanfare.

EDIT:  rereading, I suppose you are more so saying that the Sabres PR will screw this up than saying anything about the players themselves.  That could happen.  In the end it will probably be hit and miss with their PR production, but I think the kids they visit or the people they take photos with and sign stuff for will be just as happy.

Edited by Curt

6 hours ago, SDS said:

I’m too lazy to look up the exact words, but I think the title is close to correct.

I think this is an interesting statement from Adams, coupled with the mantra of signing players who want to be here. I don’t know what this looks like in the age of Covid, but I expect to see a concerted ramped up community goodwill effort on part of the Sabres and the players. 

Expect to see a lot of pictures, with a lot of kids, participating in a lot of community activities.

Taking a page from the Bills… What took so long??

9 hours ago, SDS said:

No one person speaks to every style of fan. But I have heard it from more than a few people that all they want to see is a team give effort. I think if you sign young, fast guys that work hard and immerse themselves into the community, you’ll see the sentiment soften for a certain portion of the fans.

Sounds like something the Bills are doing.

5 hours ago, Curt said:

I don’t agree.  I think there are so many NHL players who are incredibly grateful for the position they are in and really do want to give back to the community.

In fact, it seems like Eichel himself is somewhat notorious for doing just that, without the limelight or fanfare.

EDIT:  rereading, I suppose you are more so saying that the Sabres PR will screw this up than saying anything about the players themselves.  That could happen.  In the end it will probably be hit and miss with their PR production, but I think the kids they visit or the people they take photos with and sign stuff for will be just as happy.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding.

We have a winner.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.