Kevyn Adams Press Conference: 7/29 @ 4pm

LGR4GM

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Adams came off composed and sure of his path.

He was composed but he was full of crap.  How can he possibly be comfortable with his goaltending?  He said he wasn’t going to give up an asset to get a goaltender in trade.  Last I looked the acquired goalie would be an asset as well.  That is unless he comfortable with a team that allows 5 goals a night.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He was composed but he was full of crap.  How can he possibly be comfortable with his goaltending?  He said he was going to give up an asset to get a goaltender in trade.  Last I looked the acquired goalie would be an asset as well.  

When you say full of crap, are you meaning he knows he should have done more but he himself realizes he was incompetent to do so?

36 minutes ago, gomper said:

I agree on these two shows, but like you said, it's a PSE production.  I haven't listened to the GR morning show in years but I put it on a few weeks ago running errands.  It's still the same insipid show. It hasn't grown a bit.

S&B is a testament to the laziness of knowing you'll never have competition.  How Bulldog can be on the air for 30 years and not get any better is totally amazing. How he still has a job is equally amazing. 

The B team at night is following in these clowns footsteps. 

The PD at the station is incompetent to allow this, but hey , no competition.  They put no effort into it and it shows.

The Instigators is the best thing on WGR by a mile...not even close.   

They should be the 3pm show but put 2 football guys with them.  A 4 man show.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Adams came off composed and sure of his path.

Ya, because his path is a tank. 

33 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He was composed but he was full of crap.  How can he possibly be comfortable with his goaltending?  He said he wasn’t going to give up an asset to get a goaltender in trade.  Last I looked the acquired goalie would be an asset as well.  That is unless he comfortable with a team that allows 5 goals a night.

Yes, full of crap I agree, but he is comfortable as there is without any doubt a plan to tear it all down and rebuild with youth - AGAIN. It's clearly a plan. They're not doing it right, but it is a plan - AGAIN. So spin and lie and buy time and make excuses and and promises and wait for the next draft. That's it. AGAIN. 

Only 2 things remain to be seen. 1. What do we get for Eichel and when? and 2. Is Granato a sacrificial lamb like Ted Nolan was or is he their coach for the kids going forward? Not sure they know the answer themselves. 

Stupid F'n team. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, PP Slapper said:

What is this?

It's not a story the Jedi would tell you.

In my head canon, GM Adams staged a 10-year coup to become Emperor of the Buffalo Sabres, akin to Senator Palpatine's 10-year plan to go from senator to chancellor to Emperor in Star Wars. Palpatine's first name is Sheev. He's totally a Steve, but creepier. Skeevier, really. So therefore, Sheev/Kevyn = GM Sheevyn. They're playing the same role --- doing what they believe is right and taking the Sabres Republic into the dark times.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I agree.  That seems a little weird.  If UPL proves NHL ready sooner then later, he can always serve as Ullmark's backup and If he outplays Ullmark then you do what Pitts did and play both or trade Ullmark. Eventually it will work itself out.

I agree too, but I also wonder how much of this is KA holding tight to what was agreed to by the rest of his staff (Karmanos and the rest).  He's the executive but he very well may be deferring to his subject matter experts.

6 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Well, Vogl tweeted earlier today something to the effect that the Sabres only wanted another 1-year (or perhaps 2-year) deal -- so if that's true, KA wasn't willing to go to 4 years, which would be consistent with not wanting to "box out" UPL.

Interesting.  The first reports I heard was that the Bruins matched, not beat, the Sabres offer for Ullmark.  I do not tweet so I don’t know what Vogl said. 

4 hours ago, klos1963 said:

That just sounds nuts to me. You won't sign a guy because in 3 or 4 years we hope someone we have in the system will be better?  Not a problem any GM should worry about.

Well not really.  @nfreeman heard we only offered Linus  1 or 2 years.  I’m not sure anyone has the facts.  If we did offer say 2 years, it is clearly because we have a pipeline that we could be evaluating higher. 

Edited by Pimlach

Okay, I believe KA means what he is saying. I don’t think this is a tank, but from a fan’s experience, it might as well be. I think he is sincere when he says he wants to keep cap room so they can “strike” when the time is there. Also makes sense why he is signing so many 1 year contracts; making complacency impossible. 

KA definitely has a fleshed out strategy. We may not agree with it, but that press conference shed a lot of light on what is going on.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

In my head canon, GM Adams staged a 10-year coup to become Emperor of the Buffalo Sabres, akin to Senator Palpatine's 10-year plan to go from senator to chancellor to Emperor in Star Wars. Palpatine's first name is Sheev. He's totally a Steve, but creepier. Skeevier, really. So therefore, Sheev/Kevyn = GM Sheevyn. They're playing the same role --- doing what they believe is right and taking the Sabres Republic into the dark times.

We were in the dark times when he got here.  

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Star wars is way overrated.

7 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

The Instigators is the best thing on WGR by a mile...not even close.   

They should be the 3pm show but put 2 football guys with them.  A 4 man show.

I can't stand Rivet. Good player but on the Instigators he's just nauseating. Peters and Marty are fine. Don't bother with those 3pm guys at all.

• Like (+1) 1

strange that KA doesn't look at exGMJBotto and see that trading (or basically giving away) players who "don't want to be here" as in the ROR case clearly did not pan out well and yet he does the same thing with Sam and probably soon with Jack. Not sure why they confuse "wanting to win" with "not wanting to be here" although of course we don't win much these days.

Either way I think this is a tank to get a player to build KA's team around (he wants to build this team from scratch as does most GM's) thus he moves out key players not of his doing. 

Edited by sabrefanday1

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

People for years on here have been clamouring about how you need to burn it down and rebuild from a slate washed clean of the tank stink and all the players poisoned by it.

This is what that looks it.

Best part is we are going to have players because of the tank. Isak Rosen already. Technically Dahlin and Power. Reinhart's first rounder hasn't been drafted. Eichel deal still to wait on. Who knew the tank fruit was going to be grown from a tank tree 6 years on?

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, I-90 W said:

Okay, I believe KA means what he is saying. I don’t think this is a tank, but from a fan’s experience, it might as well be. I think he is sincere when he says he wants to keep cap room so they can “strike” when the time is there. Also makes sense why he is signing so many 1 year contracts; making complacency impossible. 

KA definitely has a fleshed out strategy. We may not agree with it, but that press conference shed a lot of light on what is going on.

I agree that it's not a tank as we know it. It's a full rebuild which means you probably are a bad team for a couple years. But I don't think the 1 year deals have anything to do with complacency. The players aren't worth more than a 1 year deal for $750K and not good enough to commit to for more than a year.

19 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

I agree that it's not a tank as we know it. It's a full rebuild which means you probably are a bad team for a couple years. But I don't think the 1 year deals have anything to do with complacency. The players aren't worth more than a 1 year deal for $750K and not good enough to commit to for more than a year.

I think that there was a certain emphasis on adding Torrey Mitchells and Brian Flynn types who are still trying to break through as opposed to Benoit Pouliot or Andrej Meszaros types who are basically hanging on for one last paycheque. At least that’s how I perceive Caggiula, Hinostroza and Hayden. 

Not sure whether or not I include Butcher in that group because I don’t really have a sense of his headspace. Anderson is a special case, an old pro who is here because he loves hockey. The only guy who might fit the “hanging in” profile is Pysyk.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Well not really.  @nfreeman heard we only offered Linus  1 or 2 years.  I’m not sure anyone has the facts.  If we did offer say 2 years, it is clearly because we have a pipeline that we could be evaluating higher. 

If true, he's still a fool.  Linus is a bird in the hand... the prospects are two or three in the bush.  Even if you think the prospects are locks, you keep the veteran as a backup.

12 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

head canon

A brilliant little phrase, I like it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.