Kevyn Adams Press Conference: 7/29 @ 4pm

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Everything I’ve seen as it specifically pertains to Eichel over the last few days points me to him returning. I’m hoping that’s a testament to Adams’ negotiating.

People better be absolutely livid with Adams if it happens. He has spoken, endlessly, about the key being guys who want to be here. We know Jack doesn't want to be here. If he allows that situation to fester around the environment he's trying to build, he's failed his plan intrinsically. 

1 minute ago, HoosierDaddy said:

I think that the whole reason that KA had that press conference was to make that statement about Jack being under contract.

Good call 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

Everything I’ve seen as it specifically pertains to Eichel over the last few days points me to him returning. I’m hoping that’s a testament to Adams’ negotiating.

It would be a really interesting rabbit hole to go down...Eichel probably plays half the season at best, right? After that his NMC kicks in and the return is likely a lot less...I keep wondering where there's some scenario where we end up with Eichel for the rest of his contract with these young guys coming in and we actually have a playoff team in a year or two.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, HoosierDaddy said:

I think that the whole reason that KA had that press conference was to make that statement about Jack being under contract.

Probably to his agent.

"You guys started this ***** with the season ending presser. You guys leaks unhappiness every other day. We'll trade him when we get value. If we don't, you make 10 million for the next 5 years. See you at camp."

Edited by Gabrielor
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

"the product on the ice next year won't matter"

I agree

It's not going to happen. Jack being here would be 100% counter to the plan Adams is enacting. 

I don't see how Jack being here in the fall disrupts anything at all. His contract isn't getting in the way, and he's not a detriment to the on ice product. He's not a vet taking up space. He can be here if that's the case.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

It would be a really interesting rabbit hole to go down...Eichel probably plays half the season at best, right? After that his NMC kicks in and the return is likely a lot less...I keep wondering where there's some scenario where we end up with Eichel for the rest of his contract with these young guys coming in and we actually have a playoff team in a year or two.

Other side I would tell teams is look, in 11 months he might not want to come to your team no matter what you offer because he might only want to play in say Boston. So pressures on you. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I'm confident this is a possibility.

I thought Adams came off well.   He has a very hard job.  

On Eichel he is making it a point that Eichel’s on contract and he is in the drivers seat. Good. Now he has to follow it up. It would be nice to see him get positive closure  soon.  

On Linus, the interesting points are they had a “pivot plan”, so they anticipated he could leave, and he talked about not wanting players “blocking” other players.  In the corporate world a “Blocker” is an employee who outranks those behind him on the org chart (depth chart) but is rated to have less upside.  He basically said when UPL is ready there will be no reason to hold him back.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Other side I would tell teams is look, in 11 months he might not want to come to your team no matter what you offer because he might only want to play in say Boston. So pressures on you. 

I got this theory that a team like Minnesota is reluctant to give up major assets for Jack because they fear that he'll pull this same thing in a few months, but this time with a full NMC so he can force his way to Boston.

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Very good point

Just now, I-90 W said:

Man Jack is probably having a fit after this, lol.

Hopefully NHL gms are starting to understand the price is the price and if they don't pony up, Adams doesn't seem to give a fudge muffin. 

Now it could all be posturing by Adams, time will tell. Either we have a smart gm doing the right thing or an idiot. I don't think there is a middle ground there. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Maybe even after the end of season interviews I had hopes of Eichel being here. Since then I have no hopes of his being here even next year.

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

A team like Vegas can pretend to be indifferent, and pretend they have leverage. 

The longer the summer goes, the longer they spend staring at that center spine and watching playoff footage from last year, as Kevyn sets his sights on training camp with a shrug...

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I don't see how Jack being here in the fall disrupts anything at all. His contract isn't getting in the way, and he's not a detriment to the on ice product. He's not a vet taking up space. He can be here if that's the case.

Why would Adams talk so much about "players who want to be here" being the key if he didn't believe it? Is he totally full of sh*t or is it how he feels? Under the prism of his logic, Jack would be detrimental merely for that fact. Why would they be trying to move him, if not?

That isn't even getting into the fact we are clearly aiming for a high pick, and Jack being here would run counter to that. 

He's spoken *endlessly* of not wanting to "block" the youth - even more of that today. Jack Eichel is, quite literally, the biggest block they could trot out there, after deciding to go down this route. 

The scenario of Jack being back in the cards was unlikely but possible when we thought the roster might be, as people were guessing, re-molded this summer with a thought towards winning next year. We know this is not the case - the chances of him returning, now, are IMO zero. 

Edited by Thorny

54 minutes ago, Thorny said:

People better be absolutely livid with Adams if it happens. He has spoken, endlessly, about the key being guys who want to be here. We know Jack doesn't want to be here. If he allows that situation to fester around the environment he's trying to build, he's failed his plan intrinsically. 

Good call 

He has also spoken endlessly that he’s not giving away Jack. A short term issue conflicts with a long term principle. I’m not bothered by the conflict. He’s inherited stuff. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Thorny said:

Why would Adams talk so much about "players who want to be here" being the key if he didn't believe it? Is he totally full of sh*t or is it how he feels? Under the prism of his logic, Jack would be detrimental merely for that fact. Why would they be trying to move him, if not?

That isn't even getting into the fact we are clearly aiming for a high pick, and Jack being here would run counter to that. 

He's spoken *endlessly* of not wanting to "block" the youth - even more of that today. Jack Eichel is, quite, literally, the biggest block they could trot out there, after deciding to go down this route. 

The scenario of Jack being back in the cards was unlikely but possible when we thought the roster might be, as people were guessing, re-molded this summer with a thought towards winning next year. We know this is not the case - the chances of him returning, now, are IMO zero. 

Players understand that you can't just trade Jack for whatever ***** is being offered. They can be patient, and it won't derail the legitimacy of the regime. Only continued losing can do that. They know Jack will end up being traded and they'll love playing with the results of the trade. Colorado keeping a malcontent into the season in Duchene didn't exactly hurt their young kids...

• Like (+1) 1

Dammit.  I can't help it.  I like KA.

Either he's lying through his teeth and slashing costs at TP's directive in anticipation of a sale of the team, which means I'm getting played, or he really believes in his plan, including believing that a 4-year deal for Ullmark would've interfered with the plan, and he's determined to see it through.

I still need to see a real goalie brought in.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He's spoken *endlessly* of not wanting to "block" the youth - even more of that today. Jack Eichel is, quite literally, the biggest block they could trot out there, after deciding to go down this route. 

He can want players that want to be here and not also want to trade Eichel for Drury's ***** stained pooper paper

• Like (+1) 3

The good news if Eichel plays is that we don't need to overpay some scrubs to get to the salary floor. Instead, we can just let him play 1C, get PP points with Olofsson and Dahlin and hopefully stay healthy. He should be motivated to play well and get some other GMs to teleport him off this rock. 

Just now, Thorny said:

He's spoken *endlessly* of not wanting to "block" the youth - even more of that today. Jack Eichel is, quite, literally, the biggest block they could trot out there, after deciding to go down this route. 

This is more world building. Everyone thinks Jack wants out and there's STILL no evidence that this is true. All we know is that a. Jack has been frustrated with the losing and that b. he also wanted surgery so he could speed up recovery from injury. These are not the mountains people are making them out to be. In fact I'm convinced more than ever that Jack had no idea the Sabres were as serious about shopping him this off-season as they have been. It's very clear that this is why they blocked his surgery. He doesn't like it, but it's not that big of a deal.

Who is to say that Jack being here stops them from getting a high pick? It hasn't been an issue so far.

Jack isn't getting in the way of Cozens or anyone behind him in the center group developing right now. It's fine.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.