Sabres signing John Hayden to 1yr deal

LGR4GM

57 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

For everyone who ***** about not getting grit and someone to watch out for the kids... Hayden is 6'3" 223lbs

Lol. This got a lot of “likes”.  

I rather have him protecting the team than Cozens. 

51 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Honestly I can't  believe people are actually happy with these signings right now its quite embarrassing.

I'll hear The same thing I've heard for 10 years 

-Oh it's only the 2nd day of free agency.

- Has the season started yet ?

Same ***** different year

I don’t see anyone happy but to be honest, as pointed out, at least Cozens doesn’t have play the role of protector.

This is at least a signing with some purpose. 

Edited by Pimlach

Did everyone forget that UFA signings are almost always terrible?  Like one to two years in everyone is asking why we signed this guys. Skinner, Okposo, Eakin.  At least most of not all of these are just bottom six, bottom pairing scrubs.  

You draft and develop your stars. Sure we are unloading ours but it wasn’t working.  Now is time for the next crew.  Cozens, Mitts, Quinn, Rosen, next years 2 firsts. It’ll take time and it’s gonna suck but that’s how you build a hockey team.  

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

For everyone who ***** about not getting grit and someone to watch out for the kids... Hayden is 6'3" 223lbs

I like it , we need guys to protect our kids.    We might not have high end veteran skill guys up front, but we need guys to protect them so they don't get bullied around.

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, PP Slapper said:

Did everyone forget that UFA signings are almost always terrible?  Like one to two years in everyone is asking why we signed this guys. Skinner, Okposo, Eakin.  At least most of not all of these are just bottom six, bottom pairing scrubs.  

You draft and develop your stars. Sure we are unloading ours but it wasn’t working.  Now is time for the next crew.  Cozens, Mitts, Quinn, Rosen, next years 2 firsts. It’ll take time and it’s gonna suck but that’s how you build a hockey team.  

Agreed. Drafting and trading is how you should expect to put together your starting goalie, top 3 defensemen, and top 6 forwards. Free agency is for the rest of your roster or for overpaying on that one guy who puts you into Stanley Cup contention. Hayden is actually a good signing. No need for me to be negative about EVERYTHING.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

I just watched his last three fights. I want to stab my eyes out for doing that.

I’m hoping it is because you went looking for a fight because nothing else is positive about this, and not because his fighting results were that poor.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Wasn't the word they let Krueger make a lot of roster decisions? Is this a formula they intend to keep replicating?

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

He's a 4th line center so they don't have to start Eakin. 

We have replaced Eakin....9 times by my count thus far 

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

An odd number of his fights seem to end in ice capades level spinning. He also fights in the way Andrew Peters would fight which isn't a compliment.

I hope he can hit.

He can't fight worth a darn.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

We have replaced Eakin....9 times by my count thus far 

And yet ...

While his fighting seems to be more self preservation than destroy at all costs, he does seem to immediately jump in if some takes liberties with another player on the ice.  And he isn't afraid to throw his body around out there.  We've needed a guy like this on the team for a while.  As long as he doesn't take bad penalties and isn't a defensive liability this looks like a decent signing.   

• Thanks (+1) 1

I'll be the first to say it.  I hope this guy is in the lineup every frigging night.  The number sniffers are going to scorn him like they did D Lo.  You are missing the point.  This guy is going to be the player that keeps the kids digging in the corners and along the boards.  He'll be their spine when every Philly player is trying to goad Rasmus into dropping his gloves.  And he's going to save Cozens hands so he's using them to make sweet dishes instead of beating on some other guys helmet.

• Like (+1) 5

33 minutes ago, Weave said:

I'll be the first to say it.  I hope this guy is in the lineup every frigging night.  The number sniffers are going to scorn him like they did D Lo.  You are missing the point.  This guy is going to be the player that keeps the kids digging in the corners and along the boards.  He'll be their spine when every Philly player is trying to goad Rasmus into dropping his gloves.  And he's going to save Cozens hands so he's using them to make sweet dishes instead of beating on some other guys helmet.

Lots of people praise Risto for his grit but there was never any chance he would drop the gloves.

This guy won’t win many fights but will force opponents to be accountable. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.