This is gonna be fun

Doohickie

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

They are signing the willing, not the inexpensive.

This right here is why I am so down on the next few years.  It is pretty obvious to me that this team is now being shunned by the veterans around the league.  This means that we are going to have to make due with what we draft and unwilling players with no other options.  This is going to be a disastrous environment to develop young players.  No high character vets, no NHL caliber goalies, no sense of loyalty.

The fun in hockey is the entertainment value.  There is no entertainment value in what is about to be unleashed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

This right here is why I am so down on the next few years.  It is pretty obvious to me that this team is now being shunned by the veterans around the league.  This means that we are going to have to make due with what we draft and unwilling players with no other options.  This is going to be a disastrous environment to develop young players.  No high character vets, no NHL caliber goalies, no sense of loyalty.

The fun in hockey is the entertainment value.  There is no entertainment value in what is about to be unleashed.

I don’t believe this to be true.  NHL player will take NHL jobs for money.  Buffalo won’t be 1st choice, but it won’t be truly shunned.  No, the types of signings we saw yesterday were by design.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Lets enjoy and try to focus on some of the positive things, even do its hard to see any right now 😛

Really no choice. Just hope some of our youngsters give us something to cheer about. This season is certainly not about wins and losses.

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

This will depend a lot on coaching. Hopefully our kids develop and play loose. That in itself can bring teams together. I am concerned that physically we'll not hold up and we don't have the guys to physically defend each other. A team can't just get pushed around .

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Doohickie said:

This is a development year.  Any wins are bonus. Just learn how to play the game right, as a unit.

They can't learn how to play the game right when they get their skulls caved in every night. They are going to get murdered and that will take a toll on morale.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Weave said:

Isn't this better for us in the long run?  Free agency in hockey is awful.  I'd argue the only time it truly benefits you is when you can add veterans for short money and term when you are looking at making a Stanley Cup run.  

Count me as thinking McCabe and ullmark both got too much term and money.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Darryl Shannon's +/- said:

Isn't this better for us in the long run?  Free agency in hockey is awful.  I'd argue the only time it truly benefits you is when you can add veterans for short money and term when you are looking at making a Stanley Cup run.  

Now KA go out and find some tough/big/beefy players to add...  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Darryl Shannon's +/- said:

totally agree that free agency is absurd with absolutely crazy contracts being given out. Having said that I really just wanted to sign OUR players (Sam especially) and to keep the status quo for next year with a re-signed Sam and a healthy (hopefully) Jack and see what they could do (we did need goal tending for sure) . I thought things were looking positive with DG and the young guys playing well but now all hope is pretty-much lost. GMKA has turned this team into a even more  comedy routine (I thought exGMJBotto was bad...). I can hardly wait for the return for Jack... 

I credit those looking for positives but I think you're reaching. There is nothing good going on here. If you were a fan of another team you would be laughing at the Sabres right now. Thinking that this time will be better, I think is misguided. Everything has been handled poorly.

6 hours ago, Eleven said:

Whom do you think is out there who is excited to sign with Buffalo?  We already have one person who thinks the Sabres failed to ask Ryan Miller.  What's your big theory?

Come on.  The team is obviously rebuilding.  A goalie who is "in career" is going to want to win.  A goalie who is old wants another shot at money, thus Anderson. And a goalie seeking a second or third chance might sign.

Other than that, it's Levi, UPL, and that other guy whose name I don't remember because he's never going to hit the NHL.

That's not tanking and it is not trying to lose.

Of course it’s tanking. You say a goalie doesn’t want to sign because of the state of the rebuild. They are choosing the rebuild! Being unable to sign anyone during a massive tear down is a known side affect 

They are willfully choosing the extent of the tear down, and thus willingly accepting what comes with that 

If they wanted Ullmark, should have paid more 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

If that is happening, and if they didn’t see that coming (but they did, cause they are tanking) it’s an incredibly ill-conceived plan. Did they think players would *want* to come to a team trading away all its good players for futures? They stated that’s what they are doing 

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I don’t believe this to be true.  NHL player will take NHL jobs for money.  Buffalo won’t be 1st choice, but it won’t be truly shunned.  No, the types of signings we saw yesterday were by design.

The most likely explanation, I agree 

Edited by Thorny

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Your optimism is admirable I guess but continually losing isn't "fun".  Being the laughing stock of the league isn't "fun". It just isn't fun or funny any more. 

maybe if we had a Ted Nolan bunch of scrappers we could have a few good nights of rock em sock em but this is simply going to be ridiculous. The only wins we will get is when the opposition takes us too lightly and fails to show up. 

There is nothing about this that will be "fun". 

I dunno.  I thought the end of last season was fun and they didn't win much.

1 hour ago, sabrefanday1 said:

totally agree that free agency is absurd with absolutely crazy contracts being given out. Having said that I really just wanted to sign OUR players (Sam especially) and to keep the status quo for next year with a re-signed Sam and a healthy (hopefully) Jack and see what they could do (we did need goal tending for sure) . I thought things were looking positive with DG and the young guys playing well but now all hope is pretty-much lost. GMKA has turned this team into a even more  comedy routine (I thought exGMJBotto was bad...). I can hardly wait for the return for Jack... 

The team didn't look particularly strong, I'm kind of over the status quo.  The players available in UFA are usually looking to be courted to play on someone's line, or to compete for a cup.  Buffalo can offer neither.  Jack pouted his way out, and without him we were the worst team in the league.  So why would reinhart want to extend here, or risto?  This is jack's team and he's leaving, what can you do but pick up the pieces and keep on playing hockey.  

I think the difference between this team and tanking, is the expectation that more of the guys on the 21-22 team are building blocks vs the 2012-2014 teams.  Those teams were sending out players because they had any semblance of value, hell they traded neuvirth because he was winning games.  Adams is just trying to get to where they have players that want to be here, and want to make buffalo a hockey destination.  You'll never compete with NY/florida/nashville/LA/Vegas on free agency, so focus your efforts on bringing in the right players via draft and trades.  

11 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Yeah.  There's nothing else to be done.

The franchise is either swirling down the drain, or is on the edge of turning the corner.  The first month or two of the season will be too early to tell.  After that, maybe we'll see some progress as the young core develops.  If not, there should be more reinforcements next year.

This is an ideal situation for a development coach.  If anyone wasn't sure before, you know now that the Sabres hired the right guy.  He'll keep them loose, work on process, system, technique, and not worry overly much about Ws and Ls.

Hopefully by the end of the season they will be something we're not ashamed of.  Or else they'll be such colossal failures that... they will be laughable.

So let's just have fun.

My sincere hope is that regardless of the their record, they surprise enough people that Donny Meatballs wins the Jack Adams Award.

Appreciate the optimism.  I’m thinking there will be very few Sabres fans at the games to have fun. I’m thinking many prolonged losing streaks will start to break the players spirit.  The coach has no chance, there will be no awards.  

I’m thinking we are putting the new young core in a bad place.   I don’t see any fun on the horizon. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Yes yesterday’s signings were by design for the most part, but Linus and Jake leaving were not.  That tells me that goalie at minimum was not intended to go the way it did.  

We lost 2 of the most dependable, soft spoken, good attitude vets on the roster yesterday.  We can’t keep home grown good attitude players.  Yes, this team is now being shunned.

My gut tells me that KA is concentrating on futures because what we have been seeing is that the vets we obtain via trade just simply lay down on the job.  Because this team is being shunned.  We have no choice but to focus on futures.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Losing Ullmark was not by design.  It was 100% due to an inexperienced GM, not locking up a player that he protected.  It was ridiculous and it shows how bad things are.  Of course Ullmark left to go to Boston.  Who wouldn’t?  

Quickly signing the two journeyman goalies we did, for the minimum wage, was desperation not design. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Thanks (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Weave said:

Yes yesterday’s signings were by design for the most part, but Linus and Jake leaving were not.  That tells me that goalie at minimum was not intended to go the way it did.  

We lost 2 of the most dependable, soft spoken, good attitude vets on the roster yesterday.  We can’t keep home grown good attitude players.  Yes, this team is now being shunned.

My gut tells me that KA is concentrating on futures because what we have been seeing is that the vets we obtain via trade just simply lay down on the job.  Because this team is being shunned.  We have no choice but to focus on futures.

Good.  So let's make some lemonade!

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I'm laughing right now.  That's the point:  Fun!

Laughter is probably a better coping mechanism than my anger.  I have never felt this bad about the team until this past week.  

The Pegula’s have killed the Sabres brand.  They took over a proud franchise with a top 5 winning percentage over 40 years and they have destroyed it.  Inexperienced GMs and coaches, historic losing streaks and playoff droughts, constant firings and turmoil, key jobs handed to kids and to clueless Yes-men.   No one wants to play here.

Another 20 win season is not funny and I doubt Cozens, Dahlin, and Mitts are laughing.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2