Jake McCabe Signs with Chicago

WildCard

The between-the-lines implication from KA's Sam Reinhart/draft presser was that McCabe getting injured before his UFA period hampered the Sabres' ability to trade McCabe at the deadline last season.

This served as a lesson for KA regarding Sam's situation.  As Sam indicated that he wouldn't resign with Buffalo, KA had to determine whether to trade him before the season or at the deadline.  KA wanted to avoid a) Sam having a bad year (esp with no Eichel...?) and/or b) Sam getting injured and it zeroing his rental value like McCabe.  He also wanted the higher value before the season.

KA indicated be liked McCabe and implied he would have wanted to resign him.  I think if KA had known before last season that McCabe wanted to go UFA, he would have faced the same decision then.  Maybe he did... and maybe he decided on a deadline trade... that never panned out.

Unlucky situation that likely cost us some decent rental return (maybe a 2nd in the currently hot D market, maybe more).

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

The between-the-lines implication from KA's Sam Reinhart/draft presser was that McCabe getting injured before his UFA period hampered the Sabres' ability to trade McCabe at the deadline last season.

This served as a lesson for KA regarding Sam's situation.  As Sam indicated that he wouldn't resign with Buffalo, KA had to determine whether to trade him before the season or at the deadline.  KA wanted to avoid a) Sam having a bad year (esp with no Eichel...?) and/or b) Sam getting injured and it zeroing his rental value like McCabe.  He also wanted the higher value before the season.

KA indicated be liked McCabe and implied he would have wanted to resign him.  I think if KA had known before last season that McCabe wanted to go UFA, he would have faced the same decision then.  Maybe he did... and maybe he decided on a deadline trade... that never panned out.

Unlucky situation that likely cost us some decent rental return (maybe a 2nd in the currently hot D market, maybe more).

Sam gets injured?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, if it could happen to McCabe it could happen to anybody.  Maybe?  :unsure:

McCabe got hurt every year he was here. He just couldn’t not hit people to end them. It ended him just as often.

Sam just plays.

Just now, SwampD said:

McCabe got hurt every year he was here. He just couldn’t not hit people to end them. It ended him just as often.

Sam just plays.

Sorry.  The sarcasm of the post wasn't conveyed well.  Yes, Reinhart has missed like 2 games ever and McCabe always misses some games (which is very similar to Eichel unfortunately).

Was agreeing and agree that while he could get injured like McCabe did, past history says it's a negligible concern.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Sorry.  The sarcasm of the post wasn't conveyed well.  Yes, Reinhart has missed like 2 games ever and McCabe always misses some games (which is very similar to Eichel unfortunately).

Was agreeing and agree that while he could get injured like McCabe did, past history says it's a negligible concern.

I caught it after I posted. Then my hotdogs where ready and didn’t bother to change it.

Organic happy cow hotdogs,... who knew that you can actually taste the joy.

• Haha (+1) 1

I never expected him coming back.  Good luck in Chicago Jake, you were a model citizen in Buffalo.  I wish you the best!   If he had been healthy at the deadline, he would have been dealt.  Adams, even mentioned in one of his various press engagments, "Well it was disappointing that player like McCabe was hurt"...etc, meaning he would have been gone. 

Edited by Rasmus_

On 7/28/2021 at 3:54 PM, JKB1646 said:

the same thing was said when we sign Okposo and skinner. Cap hits are always at the forefront of today’s NHL and this was too much.

I really hope Skinner turns it around this upcoming season for the better. 

3 hours ago, FogBat said:

I really hope Skinner turns it around this upcoming season for the better. 

It’s incredible that Jack wants to get traded from the Sabres where he is guaranteed to make $50M. We are on the hook to pay Jeff roughly the same amount, yet we hear not a peep from him. 

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

It sure would help!

I've leveled some unfounded accusations in the past about players cashing in and going downhill after raking in a humongous contract following a highly productive season. Granted, there are players who have given credence to that narrative. However, I have to remember to have an open mind that this is not always the case.

2 minutes ago, kas23 said:

It’s incredible that Jack wants to get traded from the Sabres where he is guaranteed to make $50M. We are on the hook to pay Jeff roughly the same amount, yet we hear not a peep from him. 

Captain Jack is having legitimate issues, especially with the surgery he needs. I'd say that's a big difference.

9 hours ago, kas23 said:

Unless he does something to void his contract, he's guaranteed to make $50M wherever he plays.  He would rather play for a Cup contender.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, kas23 said:

Skinner would demand a trade if he thought there was a team willing to take on that contract. Instead, he sits back counting his fat stacks of cash.

18 minutes ago, HoosierDaddy said:

Skinner would demand a trade if he thought there was a team willing to take on that contract. Instead, he sits back counting his fat stacks of cash.

I think Jeff is content playing for the second-closest team to home (Toronto being first) and just making bank while not having an ounce of pressure to perform.

26 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I think Jeff is content playing for the second-closest team to home (Toronto being first) and just making bank while not having an ounce of pressure to perform.

That.  Plus he has 6 years left on his deal.  Playing for a bad team that he can be an elder statesman on for 2 years while hopefully having it come together in the 2nd year so he gets 4 years of being on a good team (please Lord let that be at least possible) is something that he at least appears interested in being a part of.  He's kind of getting a new start here as well.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.