Drake Caggiula signed

LGR4GM

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't think it's going to be as harsh as some think. I'll take what I saw at the end of last season over 84 games. Without knowing what we get for Eichel or who's in goal, I expect us to finish just outside of the playoffs. 

I hope your right.  Getting Ullmark and a decent 1B/2 would help a lot.   Reinhart and Risto were big contributors in the Granato period and they are gone.  

We need to get a 1C/2C center in the Eichel trade in addition to picks/prospects.  

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I hope your right.  Getting Ullmark and a decent 1B/2 would help a lot.   Reinhart and Risto were big contributors in the Granato period and they are gone.  

We need to get a 1C/2C center in the Eichel trade in addition to picks/prospects.  

That's looking tough at the moment.

• 2 months later...

So....is Drake Caggiula a Sabre now?  I mean, not just a placeholder, but part of the system that we're building?  Are fans going to start buying Caggiula jerseys? 

Waddya think?

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri
Yes I realize posted the same thing in the Bjork thread, thanks.

27 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

So....is Drake Caggiula a Sabre now?  I mean, not just a placeholder, but part of the system that we're building?  Are fans going to start buying Caggiula jerseys? 

Waddya think?

Granted I’ve only watched 1.5 games this year, but I have not been impressed with Caggiula yet, and view him as a placeholder.

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I guess the way I look at it, is if he's a placeholder, why is he on the team and not Murray (or JJ or Weisbach or...)?  There were definitely some tough cuts at the end.  I understand that some of these guys need some Rochester seasoning but Murray has enough.

It might have to do with the fact they expected to not be 3-0 at this point and didn't want these Rochester guys playing out the year on a losing team.  If they keep playing like this we might end up seeing some of these guys that didn't make the team out of camp sooner rather than later

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!

9 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Waddya think?

No, not really. 

Something dudacek said about players being "replaceable", right now, being a thing. Think Nolan's Batman. Caggiula is an idea. Anyone can put on the mask, that's the point of the system Granato is running currently. 

Yes I think that aligns with where I'm getting to.  Caggiula, Bjork, Hinostroza, they were all brought in with the specific purpose of running a high tempo system.  They are proto-Sabres for the personality of the team.  They are here to set the tone so that Granato and institute his system.  They're JAGs, but they're JAGs with specific traits that support Granato's vision of the team.

I think past coaches either didn't have a vision/coherent system, or the system they wanted to implement was a poor match to the personnel on the ice.  Granato and Adams worked very quickly to bring in the kinds of JAGs Granato needed to implement his vision.  They aren't "team leaders" in the sense of someone who will score a lot of goals or wear letters on their jerseys, but they're leading the tone, implementing the vision, providing structure to the Granato system.

They won't be here long term, or maybe they will, but when they're gone, there will be someone else like them filling the role.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Yes I think that aligns with where I'm getting to.  Caggiula, Bjork, Hinostroza, they were all brought in with the specific purpose of running a high tempo system.  They are proto-Sabres for the personality of the team.  They are here to set the tone so that Granato and institute his system.  They're JAGs, but they're JAGs with specific traits that support Granato's vision of the team.

I think past coaches either didn't have a vision/coherent system, or the system they wanted to implement was a poor match to the personnel on the ice.  Granato and Adams worked very quickly to bring in the kinds of JAGs Granato needed to implement his vision.  They aren't "team leaders" in the sense of someone who will score a lot of goals or wear letters on their jerseys, but they're leading the tone, implementing the vision, providing structure to the Granato system.

They won't be here long term, or maybe they will, but when they're gone, there will be someone else like them filling the role.

Byslma was probably the best beforehand, even with all the flack he took. From me, others too. 

He got this team to 81 points and that was a rookie JE, so really, not "Jack Eichel" as we know him, at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Speed. 

Agreed.  This conversation is going on in about three threads but my takeaway is that players like Caggiula, Bjork and Hinostroza are proto-Sabres, speed-first players brought in by Adams at Granato's request to be the right kind of JAGs to help him institute his speed/pressure system.  They're system seeds.

26 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Agreed.  This conversation is going on in about three threads but my takeaway is that players like Caggiula, Bjork and Hinostroza are proto-Sabres, speed-first players brought in by Adams at Granato's request to be the right kind of JAGs to help him institute his speed/pressure system.  They're system seeds.

Absolutely.

Peterka, Poltapov, Kisakov, Rosen, Cozens, Asplund, to a lesser degree MItts and Quinn — same style, more skill, lining up to move their way on to and up the roster.

Related, but more important than speed is relentlessness: these guys are on the puck hard and quickly and their feet are always moving.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.