Updated Sabres Prospect Pool 2021 and beyond

GASabresIUFAN

On 1/15/2022 at 7:52 PM, Dreams Burn Down said:

I think that I'm going to have to make some roadies to Rochester, soon.  These games look like a blast.

I live near Belleville.  Will have to get to a game when Roch is here.

Edited by Derrico

Anyone else think it’s kind of strange that Krebs is still in NHL while Quinn is in AHL? 
Though it could be because of position.   I’ll assume Krebs goes back to Roch when Mitts returns 

On 7/25/2021 at 9:58 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

My rules - 24 and under and still waiver exempt. Just to clarify, I look at time to the NHL as well as upside.  

1. Power (obviously)

2. Cozens

3. R2

4. JJP

5. Quinn

6. Rosen

7. UPL

8. Poltapov

9. Samuelsson

10. Johnson

11. Kisakov

12. Levi

13. Bryson

14. Portillo

15. Laaksonen

16. Weissbach

17. Nadeau

18. Murray

19. Marjala

20. Rousek

21. Sardarian

22. Bloom

23. Huglen

24. Biro

25. Kukkonen

26. Novikov

When do you do an update ? 

On 7/25/2021 at 9:58 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:
Edited by Crusader1969

19 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Anyone else think it’s kind of strange that Krebs is still in NHL while Quinn is in AHL? 
Though it could be because of position.   I’ll assume Krebs goes back to Roch when Mitts returns 

You assume correctly. 

As to an update, I’ll probably do one soon.  The World Jrs getting cancelled didn’t help.  I did discuss previously a few guys making surprise impacts like Bloom, Cedarqvist and Constantini.  Also I’ve been disappointed that Rosen and the 2 second rd Russians haven’t made a dent in the SHL or KHL.  

11 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Krebs Contract no longer is slide eligible, that might be figuring into the decision 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Here is how I'd rank the prospects right now from 1-33.  To me the biggest surprises are Novikov, Biro, Cederqvist, Murray and of course Levi.  Biggest disappointments R2, Rosen, Poltapov and Kisakov.  I thought all 4 would take a big step forward, but I haven't seen it yet.  

I have Levi lower then others not because I don't love what he has done this season, but because I consider how long it takes until someone gets to the NHL as well as their upside and everyone I rated ahead of him are NHL regulars now or will be soon.  Goaltenders and their develop is especially hard to predict.  Still Levi has been arguably with Power the best two players in the NCAA.

1 Power - 24 pts in 22 NCAA Games and completely dominating the competition.

2 Quinn - Dominate in the AHL (35 pts in 24 games).  Looked solid in NHL debut.

3 Cozens - Cozens is improving in the NHL, not sure where his pts ceiling is yet.  50, 60 or 70? 

4 Krebs - Solid AHL numbers and has shown flashes in the NHL.  Still needs work before ready.

5 JJP - 26 pts in 27 AHL games.  Made NHL debut, but still work to be done on his two way game.

6 Samuelsson - Put up good O numbers in the AHL (16 pts in 20 games).  Came up and played solidly.  No surprise.  Will O game develop in the NHL only question.  Should be an NHL regular now. (I'm really tempted to move Matt ahead of JJP and Krebs).

7 UPL- Shaky start to the season in the A, but then got on a roll and continue solid play in 9 NHL games.  Now injured.  

8 Levi - Absolutely dominating the NCAA in net.  9 Shutouts. 1.31 gaa and .955 save %.  Cal Petersen never looked this good.  AHL next year?

9 Johnson - Solid all around D play in 3rd NCAA season.  AHL likely next year, but could also compete for an NHL job next year.  Think a better McCabe.

10 R2 - 18 NHL games didn't go as hoped, not sure if he's not good enough or bad linemates. Jury is still out.  Should get another shot after the deadline. 

11 Portillo - Michigan NCAA anchor in net.  Solid play with a 2.31 and .921.  Probably needs another year in college before turning pro.  

12 Rosen - 4 pts in 27 SHL games and since returned to Jrs, 6 pts in 5 SWE Jr games

13 Poltapov - 0 pts in 17 KHL games and since returned to Jrs,  9 pts in 7 MHL games 

14 Kisakov - 0 pts in 4 KHL games and since returned to Jrs, 31 pts in 32 MHL games w 15 goals.

15 Bryson - Now an NHL regular, but it looks like he may lose out to the LHD coming like Samuelsson, Johnson and Power

16 Murray - 6 pts in 18 NHL games.  Phyiscal presence who can contribute up the lineup.  Should be a depth NHL piece going forward. 

17 Laaksonen - Excellent O creator from the blueline, D game still needs work, but improving.  I can him making an NHL debut sooner then later.

18 Novikov - 18 year old D don't often hold their own in the KHL.  Novikov has, but has since been sent down after the World Jrs.

19 Nadeau - Leading scorer w 45 pts in 30 games for the Shawingan in the Q.

20 Bloom - Scoring slowed after a big start, but solid at 15g 29pts in 31 OHL games

21 Fitzgerald - Finally made his NHL debut and played solidly.  Should get another shot given our need for RHD and stay at home defensemen.

22 Weissbach - 23 year doing ok in rookie pro season with 13 points in 24 games in a middle six role

23 Biro - Huge improvement for this 23 year old.  21 points in 26 games as a middle six playmaker.  Would like to see him get a callup soon.

24 Kozak - 34 pts in 35 games in the tough WHL.  Big step forward in D+1 season

25 Cederqvist - 16 pts in 27 SHL games.  I can now see him getting a shot at the AHL next season

26 Costantini Former Jr Sabres, playing well for UND with 10 pts in 16 games as an NCAA rookie2

27 Konecny - Czech World Jr team member doing Ok in senior Czech league with 7 pts in 28 games

28 Lyckasen - Swedish RHD getting regular PT in mid level SWE1 league.  12 pts in 32 games.

29 Rousek - Injury has kept this physical scorer from helping the Amerks this season

30 Von Barnekow - Dominate in Swe Jr (27 pts in 19 games) but zero pts in the SHL or Swe1 leagues

31 Huglen - Getting pretty regular PT for Minn Gophers with 4 pts in 20 games

32 Sardarian - 12 pts in 22 USHL games

33 Marjala - only 14 pts in 30 Q games, down from 27 in 30 last year

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 1/8/2022 at 3:57 AM, dudacek said:

New year is a great time to update my personal prospect list to see whose stock is rising and falling.

⬆️ 1) Owen Power: he’s put up NCAA numbers that haven’t been recorded by a teenager in 30 years. He’s the best player on the best team in college hockey, looked dominant in a brief showing in the WJC, and he’s got the Olympic team knocking. He seems to have improved in every facet of his game. Big defencemen take a while to develop in the NHL usually, but he looks to have what it takes to be a top pairing NHL defencemen for 15 years and he makes the game look easy. He’s not only the Sabres best prospect, he’s probably the best drafted prospect in the world.

⬆️ 2) Jack Quinn: his production as an AHL rookie is almost as remarkable as Power’s as an NCAA teen. He was leading the entire league in goals and points before being slowed by mono. He is a natural goal scorer who demands the puck and expects to finish. But what makes his game more impressive is he is also a puck hound and an excellent passer, who cares about defence too. He still needs to work on his strength, but has the versatility to slot anywhere in the top 9, with 1st-line winger upside.

⬆️ 3) Devon Levi: I know I’ll get pushback on this, but I am all in on Levi. This kid is special and has proven it all year, first as a junior and now in college. He’s yet to have a bad game and he has had many, many great, even perfect ones - 10 shutouts in 26 games. He is single-handedly making Northeastern relevant. His athleticism, tracking, technique and focus are all superb. The only thing stopping him from getting more hype is his size and the general NHL reluctance not to consider goalies under 6’2”. That may stop him from NHL success, but it sure hasn’t been an issue anywhere else. He’s a boom or bust who’s still got a few more doors to smash and is a few years away, but I’m not among the doubters, He’s got that “it” factor.

Pick #1 2022

🔄 4) Peyton Krebs: I don’t ever see Krebs being an all-star but I do see him having a long distinguished NHL career, with much of it playing in the top 6 and being a big part of his team’s leadership group. I’m a sucker for competitive, smart, responsible players, and that is Krebs to a “T”. Add that to excellent quickness and passing skills and you have a guy you can lean on in all situations. I don’t think he will score many goals, or take the NHL by storm, but instead develop from a role player to a core player along a slow and steady path. He doesn’t play like Drury, but he projects as a player with that utility and that stature.

⬆️ 5) JJ Peterka: Explosive speed, boundless enthusiasm and excellent offensive vision have made Peterka into a frontline AHL player at 19. He’s not just good for a rookie, he’s just plain good and has shown rapid improvement since he was drafted. He’s fearless, with the perfect hockey player’s lower body and is a lock to play in the NHL. His ability to downshift and find the nuance to complement his high gear will determine whether he becomes a Conor Sheary or a Jake Guentzel.

Pick #2 or #3 

⬆️ 6) Matthias Samuelsson: He’s been a #1 for Rochester this year, adding some offensive instincts and some transition skating to his dominant one-on-one defence, strength and solid positioning. He’s as reliable as the tide and will be at minimum a good 3rd-pairing D and top-pairing penalty killer in the NHL, with an upside of being able to match up against top lines. I’m a big fan.

⬆️ 7) Ukko-Pekka Luukkonnen: How one month can turn an arrow around. UPL has been remarkably consistent so far for an undermanned Sabres squad after a shaky start in Rochester. He’s got size, plays calm and has shown excellent technique in tight, despite some issues on long shots. He’ll have to sustain this for a while longer however to shake off the doubters that developed post hip surgery.

The other of pick 2/3

🔄😎 Ryan Johnson: Johnson continues to be a very effective 2-way college defenceman and a beautiful skater who should make the NHL on that skill alone. He’s very good at evading forecheckers and breaking out of his zone and has 2nd-pair upside, but needs to cement an identity and show he can defend against NHL strength. Hopefully he signs this spring and gets a look to finish the season.

⬇️ 9) Prokhor Poltapov: after a good start, he has faded while bouncing between leagues and getting limited ice time in the KHL. Love his combination of skill and compete and see him as being very well-suited to the smaller ice and the aggressive attacking game the Sabres are wanting to build. He signed a 3-year deal in Russia and will have plenty of time to percolate before he comes over here.

⬇️ 10) Isak Rosen: with so many Sabre prospects breaking out this fall, Rosen is the exception that proves the rule. He’s been stapled to the bench in the Swedish men’s league with very little production or chance to develop. We hear he’s got top 6 speed and talent, but we’ve yet to see it. He gets this spot on draft pedigree and memories of his outstanding U18s last summer. Another player who is at least 3 years away.

🔄 11) Erik Portillo: Portillo had a lot of hype for a player who had such limited playing time over the past few years, but he’s largely justified it. He’s been good anchoring the crease for a loaded Michigan side. He’s got prototypical size and some #1 upside, but is a long-term project who still needs a lot of reps.

⬆️ 12) Brett Murray: Despite entering the season well down the prospect chart, Murray has had as much NHL ice time as any Sabres prospect. His size and the fact he’s sometimes willing to use it makes him intriguing and he didn’t look out of place in the NHL. I’m still not clear if he’s either skilled enough or belligerent enough to be an NHL 3rd liner.

⬇️ 13) Aleksander Kisakov: an undersized talent, Kisakov’s stock has dropped a bit because his numbers have dropped off in the Russian junior league he dominated in his draft year. I’m not overly concerned at this point, because of the long-term nature of the prospect and the weird way they handle kids over there

⬇️ 14) Artuu Ruotsalainen: R2 played the best game Ive seen him play all year tonight as the 1C in Rochester, but the 20 games he played in Buffalo made me doubt he has the skill to play a top 6 role in the NHL or the specialization to play in the bottom 6. Like the player, but he’s looking an awful lot like your prototypical tweener.

⬆️ 15) Nikita Novikov: this is my out-of-nowhere pick. 18-year-olds don’t play on Russia’s WJC team, or regularly in the KHL as a rule, but this late pick is doing both. He’s a hard-nosed rock of a stay-at-home D - something lacking in the system and a long shot player to watch.

⬆️ 16) Casey Fitzgerald: Fitzgerald doesn’t do anything really well, but he is pretty OK at most things and he competes and carries himself like he belongs. He didn’t look horribly out of place in his brief stint in Buffalo this year. He shouldn’t make it, but his attitude makes me want to leave the door slightly open.

⬆️ 17) Josh Bloom: NHL size and NHL wheels, Bloom has really surprised with some excellent production and leadership for a weaker Saginaw team this year. He’s got a chance to move up and make the scouts look like geniuses for picking him, despite the fact he didn’t play a game last year.

⬆️ 18) Olivier Nadeau: another long shot who is outperforming his draft status after an unpredictable pandemic year. He will have to overcome skating issues, but has good size and skill in close quarters and is lighting up the Q.

🔄 19) Linus Weissbach: an undersized winger with NHL speed, but not enough skill to play a top six NHL role, or enough grit or defence to play in the bottom 6. Fun to watch in Rochester though.

⬇️ 20) Oskari Laaksonen: I see some people projecting him as an NHLer and I wonder if they watch him, or just see his numbers. He’s a decent skater and a pretty good PP QB at the AHL level. But he’ll never run an NHL PP and his d-zone and transition games aren’t good.

It’s crazy that our prospect chart will look like this after the draft, just guessing around the caliber of players they’ll be able to get with 3 firsts, this should be a pretty stacked system. 

I think R2 is too high in this list, I think he’s too old, and probably won’t be developing to anything much more than Jag NHL game. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Here is how I'd rank the prospects right now from 1-33.  To me the biggest surprises are Novikov, Biro, Cederqvist, Murray and of course Levi.  Biggest disappointments R2, Rosen, Poltapov and Kisakov.  I thought all 4 would take a big step forward, but I haven't seen it yet.  

I have Levi lower then others not because I don't love what he has done this season, but because I consider how long it takes until someone gets to the NHL as well as their upside and everyone I rated ahead of him are NHL regulars now or will be soon.  Goaltenders and their develop is especially hard to predict.  Still Levi has been arguably with Power the best two players in the NCAA.

1 Power - 24 pts in 22 NCAA Games and completely dominating the competition.

2 Quinn - Dominate in the AHL (35 pts in 24 games).  Looked solid in NHL debut.

3 Cozens - Cozens is improving in the NHL, not sure where his pts ceiling is yet.  50, 60 or 70? 

4 Krebs - Solid AHL numbers and has shown flashes in the NHL.  Still needs work before ready.

5 JJP - 26 pts in 27 AHL games.  Made NHL debut, but still work to be done on his two way game.

6 Samuelsson - Put up good O numbers in the AHL (16 pts in 20 games).  Came up and played solidly.  No surprise.  Will O game develop in the NHL only question.  Should be an NHL regular now. (I'm really tempted to move Matt ahead of JJP and Krebs).

7 UPL- Shaky start to the season in the A, but then got on a roll and continue solid play in 9 NHL games.  Now injured.  

8 Levi - Absolutely dominating the NCAA in net.  9 Shutouts. 1.31 gaa and .955 save %.  Cal Petersen never looked this good.  AHL next year?

9 Johnson - Solid all around D play in 3rd NCAA season.  AHL likely next year, but could also compete for an NHL job next year.  Think a better McCabe.

10 R2 - 18 NHL games didn't go as hoped, not sure if he's not good enough or bad linemates. Jury is still out.  Should get another shot after the deadline. 

11 Portillo - Michigan NCAA anchor in net.  Solid play with a 2.31 and .921.  Probably needs another year in college before turning pro.  

12 Rosen - 4 pts in 27 SHL games and since returned to Jrs, 6 pts in 5 SWE Jr games

13 Poltapov - 0 pts in 17 KHL games and since returned to Jrs,  9 pts in 7 MHL games 

14 Kisakov - 0 pts in 4 KHL games and since returned to Jrs, 31 pts in 32 MHL games w 15 goals.

15 Bryson - Now an NHL regular, but it looks like he may lose out to the LHD coming like Samuelsson, Johnson and Power

16 Murray - 6 pts in 18 NHL games.  Phyiscal presence who can contribute up the lineup.  Should be a depth NHL piece going forward. 

17 Laaksonen - Excellent O creator from the blueline, D game still needs work, but improving.  I can him making an NHL debut sooner then later.

18 Novikov - 18 year old D don't often hold their own in the KHL.  Novikov has, but has since been sent down after the World Jrs.

19 Nadeau - Leading scorer w 45 pts in 30 games for the Shawingan in the Q.

20 Bloom - Scoring slowed after a big start, but solid at 15g 29pts in 31 OHL games

21 Fitzgerald - Finally made his NHL debut and played solidly.  Should get another shot given our need for RHD and stay at home defensemen.

22 Weissbach - 23 year doing ok in rookie pro season with 13 points in 24 games in a middle six role

23 Biro - Huge improvement for this 23 year old.  21 points in 26 games as a middle six playmaker.  Would like to see him get a callup soon.

24 Kozak - 34 pts in 35 games in the tough WHL.  Big step forward in D+1 season

25 Cederqvist - 16 pts in 27 SHL games.  I can now see him getting a shot at the AHL next season

26 Costantini Former Jr Sabres, playing well for UND with 10 pts in 16 games as an NCAA rookie2

27 Konecny - Czech World Jr team member doing Ok in senior Czech league with 7 pts in 28 games

28 Lyckasen - Swedish RHD getting regular PT in mid level SWE1 league.  12 pts in 32 games.

29 Rousek - Injury has kept this physical scorer from helping the Amerks this season

30 Von Barnekow - Dominate in Swe Jr (27 pts in 19 games) but zero pts in the SHL or Swe1 leagues

31 Huglen - Getting pretty regular PT for Minn Gophers with 4 pts in 20 games

32 Sardarian - 12 pts in 22 USHL games

33 Marjala - only 14 pts in 30 Q games, down from 27 in 30 last year

I wouldn’t be so down on The 2 Russian forwards.  Even getting KHL experience is pretty good for 18 year olds.   And I’d throw their stats out the window as I doubt they play more than a few minutes in each game.   Against their peers, they seem to be doing well.  
I’d argue the same thing with Rosen.  Would love to see them move to North America next year , so Sabres can be more hands on with their development.     Though I’m guessing they all have contracts that would prohibit that

3 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I wouldn’t be so down on The 2 Russian forwards.  Even getting KHL experience is pretty good for 18 year olds.   And I’d throw their stats out the window as I doubt they play more than a few minutes in each game.   Against their peers, they seem to be doing well.  
I’d argue the same thing with Rosen.  Would love to see them move to North America next year , so Sabres can be more hands on with their development.     Though I’m guessing they all have contracts that would prohibit that

That's one of the reasons they are down on my chart.  I think Rosen won't be here until 2023-24 and the Russians until 2024-25.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.