Updated Sabres Prospect Pool 2021 and beyond

GASabresIUFAN

5 hours ago, Weave said:

Ironically, all of your examples are ones that I have used to justify why you should never plan to win in some future season, that the season you are in is the season you should plan to win.  The future of what you have, and what you will have one day, is always unknown.

Should Krebs, Quinn and JJ be on the Sabres right now ?

On 11/22/2021 at 4:42 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why is that a surprise? Jbot’s crew did a good job of evaluating Jr players.  Cozens, Mitts, Samuelson, R2, Bryson are all Jbot’s picks and there are more coming.

Adams mentioned they one of the first things He and His Staff did was change the draft list, Marco Rossi would be in Rochester right now instead of Quinn if they followed Botts.

Adams, Crowe and Nightengale had little if any experience in the Roles they were in for the NHL 2020 Draft, so pulling the players they did was a pleasant surprise 

7 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

How long until Samuelsson is called up ?

Mike Weber mentioned a few weeks ago that He would be a 5-6 Defenseman if He were to come up now. He feels more time to develop 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Weave said:

***** if I know.  And that wasn’t my point anyway.  

Kinda is.  They are already better than at least 3 forwards on the roster. If you only thought about the current season , they’d all be in Buffalo.  
teams have to think 3 to 5 years ahead.  Player development, cap issues all have to be considered.  

5 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

…but Kim knows more than you. 😂

Well I do.  We didn't draft a center with a high pick in the past three years because it ain't the way I wanted it. I can handle things. I'm smart. Not like everybody says...like dumb...I'm smart and I want RESPECT.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Kinda is.  They are already better than at least 3 forwards on the roster. If you only thought about the current season , they’d all be in Buffalo.  
teams have to think 3 to 5 years ahead.  Player development, cap issues all have to be considered.  

Thats only one way.  The other is to have players on the roster better than them to get past, not placeholders.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Mike Weber mentioned a few weeks ago that He would be a 5-6 Defenseman if He were to come up now. He feels more time to develop 

But a 5-6 defenceman is still playing regular minutes in the NHL.  Where will he be next season with Dahlin and Power and Bryson?  Most likely a 5-6 spot.  Someone maybe will move to the right side?

I'm a big believer in developing the guys in Rochester for as long as we can this season but with Samuelsson I think he should start his NHL experience soon.  Maybe they plan to see where everyone is at the trade deadline and then bring guys up.  Injuries happen too.  Patience.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Digger said:

But a 5-6 defenceman is still playing regular minutes in the NHL.  Where will he be next season with Dahlin and Power and Bryson?  Most likely a 5-6 spot.  Someone maybe will move to the right side?

I'm a big believer in developing the guys in Rochester for as long as we can this season but with Samuelsson I think he should start his NHL experience soon.  Maybe they plan to see where everyone is at the trade deadline and then bring guys up.  Injuries happen too.  Patience.

Maybe they view a Samuelsson-Dahlin pairing and want him ready for top minutes when he comes up.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Digger said:

welcome back!

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/23/2021 at 6:14 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yes they do, but we have high draft pick or more proven prospect depth at every other position in the pipeline. 
Goalie - UPL, Portillo and Levi

Defense - Power, Samuelsson, Johnson, Laaksonen, Fitzgerald, and Novikov.

Wing - Quinn, JJP, Rosen, Poltapov, Kisakov, Weissbach, Nadeau, Cederqvist and others.

Center - Krebs, Bloom (LW/C - 3rd rd pick) and Costantini (5th rd pick)

Bloom was drafted as a LW, but has moved to center this season in juniors.  Costantini and Bloom have really taken a huge step forward this season and that is great news, but both are years from the Sabres.  Once Krebs graduates to Buffalo, there is a 2-3 year gap down to Bloom or Costantini assuming they continue to progress.

Edit: Bloom is playing LW not center for the Spirit.  The article on Bloom in the Bloom thread is pretty clear Bloom is on the wing.

That means that Costantini is the only legit center prospect behind Krebs.

35 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Edit: Bloom is playing LW not center for the Spirit.  The article on Bloom in the Bloom thread is pretty clear Bloom is on the wing.

With Mittlestadt, Cozens, and Thompson as your top 3, how big is the need?

32 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I really don’t think the hesitancy to draft a C in the last 3 drafts is really going to hurt us. I presume we’ll be drafting one with our 1st pick in 2022 (if not, I’ll change my opinion). We have Mitts, Cozens, and now Thompson and Krebs. We are flushed with 2C and 3Cs. I don’t think drafting a random Center in the past 3 drafts would’ve moved to be needle, as I don’t really see any C’s picked better than we already had. Who knows though, maybe we’ll stumble into one in 2022. 

47 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I really don’t think the hesitancy to draft a C in the last 3 drafts is really going to hurt us. I presume we’ll be drafting one with our 1st pick in 2022 (if not, I’ll change my opinion). We have Mitts, Cozens, and now Thompson and Krebs. We are flushed with 2C and 3Cs. I don’t think drafting a random Center in the past 3 drafts would’ve moved to be needle, as I don’t really see any C’s picked better than we already had. Who knows though, maybe we’ll stumble into one in 2022. 

In the 2019 draft they picked Cozens.  In 2020 they took Costantini.

Costantini is definitely a random C who doesn’t move the needle, as you say, but Cozens moves the needle.

Its really only the past 2 drafts that have been neglectful of C’s, not 3.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Well Mitts has played part of one game this season.  We converted Thompson from the wing and Cozens is still learning to play in the NHL.  No guarantee that any of these guys reach their potential.  What is the fallback option if they fail to make an impact?  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I haven’t seen Bloom play a game but he is listed as a Centre and has taken 162 faceoffs.

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

As I said, barren. Though Costantini isn't really a "legit" C prospect. If you are more likely to miss the NHL entirely than make it, I don't count it. 

Edited by Thorny

11 hours ago, inkman said:

If we are trying to create an AHL all star team, not that big. 

None of those guys has established as a true 2C and we need 2 of them to become at least that, and that's just so we aren't terrible. It's not a strong enough, deep enough group to have a solid statistical chance of adequately filling in a C spine at the NHL level 

Thompson is a 3C on a good team.

We'd need Cozens to reach his ceiling as a 1C and Mittelstadt to reach his ceiling as a 2C for the group to work out. 2 tough bets to make. 

Krebs is a nice additional bullet - we need more. Particularly of the blue chip variety. There probably isn't a C in the entire system who *makes the NHL* after those 4. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, inkman said:

Huge. Three unproven players don’t mitigate the need for additional help at any position. Even if all three pan out you still want high-level centers in the system.

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, French Collection said:

I haven’t seen Bloom play a game but he is listed as a Centre and has taken 162 faceoffs.

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

As I said, barren. Though Costantini isn't really a "legit" C prospect. If you are more likely to miss the NHL entirely than make it, I don't count it. 

Seems that he has played  at least some C.

Your point remains though.  I would expect/hope at least one 1st round C is taken in the 2022 draft, maybe 2 in their first 4 picks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.