Updated Sabres Prospect Pool 2021 and beyond

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Poltapov is like Peterka. Relentless puck pressure. 

This kid is going to be a fan favourite in a few years.

Separately, you've long pointed out as one of the biggest problems for the Sabres their inability to find players after the first round.

I'm not going to count the chickens of the past few years before they hatch, but from what we've seen from Bryson and Asplund this year (and with Samuelsson and Peterka looking very close) that tap might finally be open.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Separately, you've long pointed out as one of the biggest problems for the Sabres their inability to find players after the first round.

I'm not going to count the chickens of the past few years before they hatch, but from what we've seen from Bryson and Asplund this year (and with Samuelsson and Peterka looking very close) that tap might finally be open.

We have started to draft better. 2021 gave me a lot of hope. 

The issue is we must consistently find players past round 1 and we need 2.5 players per draft to be useful NHL players. Once we cross those thresholds I will be happy. My concern right now is finding value outside of the 1st. Ryan Johnson for example is a major issue because he didn't represent value (even though he projects to at least the AHL if not NHL).

The 2021 draft is interesting. Poltapov, Kisakov, and Novikov represent good value picks (others could too). Rosen is actually the one that it is harder to eval because of the talent available when he was taken but I like Rosen a lot. If the Sabres have fixed their drafting, in 3 years instead of talking about another rebuild we will be talking about making the playoffs and making noise. 

• Like (+1) 2

Useful NHL player for me is this: 200 games played and a 0.35ppg pace for forwards and a 0.21ppg pace for defenders. Outside of that, players are honestly fairly replaceable with but a few exceptions (Jake McCabe for example was very good even if he wasn't always a 0.21ppg guy). You need to find a minimum of 2 per draft for the next 3 drafts and honestly you need 3 for this team because they have done badly for so long. 

30 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Thank the lord for timmy and jason amirite

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Any time I've watched Ryan Johnson I've come away thinking he's a surefire NHLer.

His combination of skating and poise demands it. He's safe with the puck, very good on defending entries and even better on exits.

Better than Pysyk (i.e. JAG/regular healthy scratch candidate) though?

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I wish I was a good enough scout to tell you.

Pysyk is actually a good comparable in terms of his game as a junior, so I could easily see him settling in there.

I could also see him settling in more as a prime Tallinder (with his game revolving more around his feet than his length)

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Any time I've watched Ryan Johnson I've come away thinking he's a surefire NHLer.

His combination of skating and poise demands it. He's safe with the puck, very good on defending entries and even better on exits.

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

https://theathletic.com/2811497/2021/10/20/re-drafting-the-nhl-class-of-2019-would-jack-hughes-still-be-the-no-1-pick/

Pronman in a yesterday’s 2019 re-draft article on the Athletic has Johnson 29th ahead of D drafted 8th and 11th.  He lists Johnson as a long term 2nd pairing D.  

He also has Cozens 4th and in his future all-star tier.  He also has Portillo at 107 (we took him 67th). 

Despite comments to the contrary we actually started to draft better under Jbot.  We have 5 of his prospects in the NHL (Dahlin, Mitts, Cozens, Bryson and undrafted R2), plus 3 more who have seen the NHL (UPL, Murray and Samuelsson).  In addition he has 4 more tracking toward the NHL in Weissbach, Laaksonen, Portillo and Johnson.  

That’s a very good track record with only 18 picks and one UDFA.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

https://theathletic.com/2809951/2021/10/19/re-drafting-the-nhl-class-of-2020-tim-stutzle-moves-up-ranking-plus-the-biggest-changes-in-one-year/

Pronman also did a re-draft of 2020.

JJP is up to 21 (we took him @ 34) in his middle of the lineup tier/starting goalie tier.

Quinn (24th) and Levi (39th) are in the same tier

Buffalo prospect Levi is a tough case due to his limited playing time last season, but when healthy the past two years, he’s looked quite promising even as an undersized goalie.

https://theathletic.com/2839287/2021/10/22/re-drafting-the-2017-nhl-class-would-cale-makar-or-elias-pettersson-go-no-1-today/

Pronman’s 2017 re-draft

11. Mitts - possible top line player tier

31. Jokiharju - middle of the lineup tier

59. Bryson - projected to play in the NHL.  Honestly this is low.  He is close to being a full-time middle of the lineup player.

63. UPL - projected to play in the NHL. 

82. Laaksonen - has a chance to make the NHL tier

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.