Updated Sabres Prospect Pool 2021 and beyond

GASabresIUFAN

56 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Peterka says 'hi.'

He can stand at the front of the line over there.

44 minutes ago, Curt said:

Matthias Samuelsson says ‘wtf I’m standing right here!’

He's a big boy. I can see him behind Peterka. 😁

Seriously though, winding back the tape, outside of Derek Roy and maybe Peterka, I think we have to go all the way back to John Tucker since we had a 2nd-rounder showing this much offensive upside. Pominville obviously had it, but I didn't think that way the year after we picked him.

And I see a fire and an edge to Poltapov's game that none of those guys had.

Edited by dudacek
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@dudacek When was the last time we had this many 2nd and 3rd rd picks who project easily into the NHL?  Maybe never?

Samuelsson  Portillo, JJP, Poltapov and Kisakov.

2014 had Baptiste, Bailey, Compher, Lemieux, Carrier and McCabe. I feel better about our current list but I don’t think we should forget how excited people were about some of those guys. The first two probably generated the most excitement but they’re the only ones on the list who aren’t still active.

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

2014 had Baptiste, Bailey, Compher, Lemieux, Carrier and McCabe. I feel better about our current list but I don’t think we should forget how excited people were about some of those guys. The first two probably generated the most excitement but they’re the only ones on the list who aren’t still active.

I’m still surprised that neither Bailey or Baptiste were able to have meaningful NHL careers.  
maybe there is still hope for Bailey in Vancouver for a bottom line role?

Baptiste is in Sweden I think. 

22 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I’m still surprised that neither Bailey or Baptiste were able to have meaningful NHL careers.  
maybe there is still hope for Bailey in Vancouver for a bottom line role?

Baptiste is in Sweden I think. 

Yeah I thought they would make it for sure 

21 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@dudacek When was the last time we had this many 2nd and 3rd rd picks who project easily into the NHL?  Maybe never?

Samuelsson  Portillo, JJP, Poltapov and Kisakov.

I'd slow the roll in kisakov. He has skill but needs a lot of work. Novikov is more likely. 

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd slow the roll in kisakov. He has skill but needs a lot of work. Novikov is more likely. 

That’s interesting.  I just realized that Novikov is playing in the KHL this season and has such a late birthday.  Seems to be doing fairly ok in the K too.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Frankly Novikov has already shown me a lot and looks like an early contender for steal of the draft but what leads you to believe a 6th round pick from this draft is a more likely NHL player than a 3rd? Do you think Kisakov was a teacher or just drafted more for potential vs Kisakov being a “safer” bet?

53 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Frankly Novikov has already shown me a lot and looks like an early contender for steal of the draft but what leads you to believe a 6th round pick from this draft is a more likely NHL player than a 3rd? Do you think Kisakov was a teacher or just drafted more for potential vs Kisakov being a “safer” bet?

Kisakov was actually a second-rounder and wasn't a reach there because he has a ton of skill and competes.

Kisakov has also played three games already this year in the KHL.

But any player drafted at 150 pounds is clearly a pick based on projection. He is literally 60 pounds smaller than Novikov

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Kisakov was actually a second-rounder and wasn't a reach there because he has a ton of skill and competes.

Kisakov has also played three games already this year in the KHL.

But any player drafted at 150 pounds is clearly a pick based on projection. He is literally 60 pounds smaller than Novikov

Thank you, not sure why I said third. Probably because of them having multiple seconds.

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

As noted, sorry I didn't see this earlier, kisakov is physically immature and Novikov is not. I also think Novikov has a very team orientated game and Kisakov tries a lot of solo things that doesn't work well in the KHL

Kisakov is 25lbs to small for the pros impo. He has a similar issue to Rosen although Rosen is bigger already. It's basically a bet on his skill.

Edit: kisakov is 5'10" 150lbs according to Elite

Novikov is 6'4" 207lbs

Novikov is 9 months younger. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

As noted, sorry I didn't see this earlier, kisakov is physically immature and Novikov is not. I also think Novikov has a very team orientated game and Kisakov tries a lot of solo things that doesn't work well in the KHL

Kisakov is 25lbs to small for the pros impo. He has a similar issue to Rosen although Rosen is bigger already. It's basically a bet on his skill.

Edit: kisakov is 5'10" 150lbs according to Elite

Novikov is 6'4" 207lbs

Novikov is 9 months younger. 

Feels like this could be a draft that reshapes the future a bit. Doesn’t feel like a lot of recent drafts even if there isn’t as big of an excitement level about Power compared to some others.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.