Updated Sabres Prospect Pool 2021 and beyond

GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Quite a bit higher — 16th, and in the same tier "top of the lineup player" as the bolded.

Hughes

Zegras

Cozens

Lundell

Byfield

Dach

Norris

McTavish

Suzuki

Thomas

Beniers

Hischier

McMichael

Johnson

Sillinger

Seeing what Suzuki and Hischier are doing at the NHL level already, it's pretty promising. And personally I don't think of the last 3 guys as centres, myself

That's an encouraging ranking then. 

What is Cozens tier, first liner?

Should I keep asking questions?

Should I subscribe to the Athletic?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

He's at the top of the 3rd tier "all-star/top of lineup bubble" Dahlin and Power are 2nd-tier "NHL all-star"

Sure

Absolutely

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Projected bubble NHL All-Star and top of the lineup player

15. Dylan Cozens, C, Buffalo

Feb. 9, 2001 | 6-foot-3 | 180 pounds

Drafted: No. 7 in 2019

Sept. 2021 Ranking: 15

Tier: Projected bubble NHL All-Star and top of the lineup player

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average
Shot: Above NHL average

Cozens is an easy prospect to support. He’s a big center who can skate and has very good skill with a scoring touch. He works hard off the puck and seems to have every attribute you want in a future top-line forward. The scoring hasn’t truly popped yet in the NHL but I think it will come with time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Projected bubble NHL All-Star and top of the lineup player

15. Dylan Cozens, C, Buffalo

Feb. 9, 2001 | 6-foot-3 | 180 pounds

Drafted: No. 7 in 2019

Sept. 2021 Ranking: 15

Tier: Projected bubble NHL All-Star and top of the lineup player

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average
Shot: Above NHL average

Cozens is an easy prospect to support. He’s a big center who can skate and has very good skill with a scoring touch. He works hard off the puck and seems to have every attribute you want in a future top-line forward. The scoring hasn’t truly popped yet in the NHL but I think it will come with time.

I must be in the minority on Cozens because what I always see is + passing and avg. shot

I suppose the playmaking falls under puck skills, right

34 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Dahlin 7

Power 8

Cozens 15

Quinn 37

Krebs 45

Even though it is unbelievable to have 5 in the top 50, and I have no right complain, I am with LGR. There is no way I would take the likes of Kaliyev, Perfetti, and Guenther over Quinn, or Krebs for that matter.

Peterka 86

Jokiharju 121

Johnson 151

Levi 160

And Levi at 160 will be among his biggest misses

(Now taking off my fan-coloured glasses and acknowledging that his opinion and mine don't really matter much)

Guenther is 19th in WHL scoring while Quinn is near the top of the AHL.

• Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Why does the NHL and people around it use terms more vague terms than the other leagues lol

"Puck skills" 

"Compete" As a noun? Come on. 

I can’t stand the use of compete as a noun. So many better words that don’t make you sound like a dolt when used. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NAF said:

Anyone watch the Americans enough to give a report on Laaksonen? I see he's putting up a pretty decent point total -- could we expect to see him in the NHL pretty soon?

I don't think Laaksonen will be an NHLer.

He is at the AHL level what the biggest Dahlin-haters accuse Dahlin of being at the NHL level.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

On 1/12/2022 at 11:37 AM, LGR4GM said:

I worry about that 2021 draft. Neither of Rosen or Poltapov are here. 

Based on my research prior to the draft, both were drafted one tier ahead of where they should have gone.  Not huge reaches, but reaches.  On the consensus board I do every year Rosen was 21st and Poltapov 40th.  As I said then, I'll repeat now.  I had centers ranked ahead of both guys that were still available like Svechkov (17th on my board) and Lucius (11th)  (who would have been my pick) over Rosen and Pinelli (23rd) and Raty (17th) over Poltapov.  

That said, D+1 for most of the mid-level 1sts down to the second is a huge transition year, and isn't ultimately indicative of what they'll become. 

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Based on my research prior to the draft, both were drafted one tier ahead of where they should have gone.  Not huge reaches, but reaches.  On the consensus board I do every year Rosen was 21st and Poltapov 40th.  As I said then, I'll repeat now.  I had centers ranked ahead of both guys that were still available like Svechkov (17th on my board) and Lucius (11th)  (who would have been my pick) over Rosen and Pinelli (23rd) and Raty (17th) over Poltapov.  

That said, D+1 for most of the mid-level 1sts down to the second is a huge transition year, and isn't ultimately indicative of what they'll become. 

I would have taken Lucius and Svechkov over Rosen. I would have taken Raty or Koivunen over Poltapov. 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Maybe. I haven't seen a lot written about him.

Curious to see what other people who watch a lot of the Amerks think.

He is a poster boy for high event hockey.  Considering the rest of the young D crew the Sabres have in place & in the wings, don't see him being a fit.  Could see him being another Gragnini.  Nobody wants another Gragnini.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don't think Laaksonen will be an NHLer.

He is at the AHL level what the biggest Dahlin-haters accuse Dahlin of being at the NHL level.

so maybe a poor man's dahlin at the nhl level. if we get lucky?

sry no capital letters from me last few posts, my cat is on my lap, cant get two hands on the keyboard

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.